5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking Gas Cap

BallsDeepInSheep

Reaction score
Are there locking gas caps available? Have a 19' Limited with the 33 gal. tank option if that matters. Thanks in advance.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are there locking gas caps available? Have a 19' Limited with the 33 gal. tank option if that matters. Thanks in advance.

This has been mentioned but don’t know if anyone has gotten it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s for diesel only

0ab0df8dadf8871d5a8bbed062a05afd.jpg

Show me where it says diesel.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been mentioned but don’t know if anyone has gotten it

This is a great find @LimitedGRR. (y)

I have been waiting for someone to make one of these.

Ordering today. Will give my feedback after installed... :unsure:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I made a thread about this cap a few weeks ago. I'm waiting to see if the price comes down. $76 is a lot for a gas cap, once you add in shipping and tax.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made a thread about this cap a few weeks ago. I'm waiting to see if the price comes down. $76 is a lot for a gas cap, once you add in shipping and tax.

I’m willing to give it a shot. I’ve spent more on other crap for the truck. What’s another 70 after ceramic coating, plastic film for lights, window tint, tonneau cover, sway bar, etc etc etc etc and etc

If it saves my truck from stupidity then it’s worth a tank of gas to get it.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Geno's garage (I think it's called) is the only company that makes a locking gas cap for the new body Rams. Mopar doesn't and will never make one (per my conversation with them)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a small lip where the silver end cap attaches to the filler tube and it looks like it slides over that and locks to keep would-be miscreants from accessing your tank.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a small lip where the silver end cap attaches to the filler tube and it looks like it slides over that and locks to keep would-be miscreants from accessing your tank.

There’s some kind of plate from beneath that gets tightened with the security key. Might be a bit awkward but a small price to pay for what it accomplishes Just CAN NEVER lose those security keys! I suspect one will live in driver door pocket forever. Keychain would be a bad idea if you ever lost your keys. Curious once I get it, if the key can be modified to be a little shorter. Shipped today so I should see it by Saturday or Monday

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
There’s some kind of plate from beneath that gets tightened with the security key. Might be a bit awkward but a small price to pay for what it accomplishes Just CAN NEVER lose those security keys! I suspect one will live in driver door pocket forever. Keychain would be a bad idea if you ever lost your keys. Curious once I get it, if the key can be modified to be a little shorter. Shipped today so I should see it by Saturday or Monday

You’re a blessing! Can’t wait to hear how more about it

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One word.... Paranoid.

I suspect those clamoring for a lock are first-time capless gas tank owners. I've been on car and truck forums probably since forums came about and I can't recall anyone from Fords, GMs or Dodge/Ram complaining about getting tanks messed with. All sorts of vandalism threads over the years but gas being contaminated from vandalism? Nope. Plenty of threads about contaminated gas from water in gas station fillups.
I love not having to screw around with gas caps. I've had capless gas tank vehicles since 2008 with no door locks. Well, I did have one on a Corvette but that was quickly disabled because the dumb solenoids would fail frequently enough. For years one or two sat outside 24/7.
Anyway.... Whatever let's you sleep at night.......

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not paranoia if it's actually happened is it? Fortunately I yelled at them before they got the gas cap all the way off, and hadn't been able to dump anything in yet. It was kids, and they dropped a zip loc bag full of sugar as they were running away. No, definitely not being paranoid for wanting to have a locking gas cap. At the very least the fuel filler door should lock with the rest of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread