5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locking Gas Cap

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You sure talk alot of smack dude... for one there are nefarious people that live in this world. Maybe your fortunate enough to live somewhere where they dont affect you... good for you. But for the rest of us a little piece of prevention is enough to ease our minds. Secondly, if someone breaks into your house they will most definitely steal your 65 inch tv.
Considering the post you quoted says I'm not bashing anyone for getting one, I think you're just looking to pick a fight with your internet anonymity. I was making a comment about the quality of the cap that people are spending $60+ on. A normal hex bolt has basically the same security as that "special head" bolt they're using. This cap is meant to deter opportunists, and I'm not arguing that it'll do that. As for the home break in, no opportunist breaking into your house is going to take a giant *** TV when they can grab more than enough small electronics, jewelry, cash, and possibly weapons then just walk off.

Before you comment looking to pick fights maybe use your eyes for 10 seconds. I'll trade your crime in Dallas for my crime in Memphis any day of the week.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Crime is neighborhood specific, not necessarily city specific to begin with. Also criminals are opportunistic, they take whatever they can get, even if they find it's too difficult doesnt mean they wont try. And the gas cap is a deterrent, being so the odds of somebody being aware(especially the dumb punks around here checking unlock car doors and such) and carrying anything that could remove this cap are virtually non existent. And I dont pick fights, I state obvious fact which many are too reluctant to do anymore.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well this does happen. It's happened to several people on my block alone because of punk kids. Paranoia my ***... dont let Karma hear you, it just might come around and bite you in the *** one day.
Yeah right...... Several vehicles on your block have had their gas tanks filled with sugar? I'm not that gullible over your internet claims..... I don't believe a thing you spewed. Regardless, it's nothing I ever worry about.

If I was that intent on messing with someone's gas filler and found that, I'd be back with a drill and screw up the "key" so you can't get it off. That'd be a bummer at a gas station with zero miles to empty......

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah right...... Several vehicles on your block have had their gas tanks filled with sugar? I'm not that gullible over your internet claims..... I don't believe a thing you spewed. Regardless, it's nothing I ever worry about.

If I was that intent on messing with someone's gas filler and found that, I'd be back with a drill and screw up the "key" so you can't get it off. That'd be a bummer at a gas station with zero miles to empty......
Kids and teenagers aren't that smart. They will either key a vehicle, slice a tire or put something in the gas tank....found my gas tank door open a couple mornings in a row...I'm lucky that nothing was dumped into it...as far as I know. So INVISIBLE's claim is absolutely believable to me.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
This thread has gone off the rails. You guys should take your beef to the Off Topic Discussion section and play king-of-the-internet-mountain over there.

All the OP asked was if there was a locking gas cap...and there is.
And despite what mister high and mighty "spews", I just bought one of those caps from Geno's too. At least our Grand Cherokee has to be released from inside. IDK why RAM didn't do the same. It's been about 5 or 6 years since we had a rash of random vandals mess with vehicles, yards and or egging homes but you never know when the next kids like this decide to come back through. I guess I really only have to worry about the Jus Cruisins of the world bent on sabotaging gas caps just to prove a point. I will leave it at that. I am out regardless of what gets posted now.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And despite what mister high and mighty "spews", I just bought one of those caps from Geno's too. At least our Grand Cherokee has to be released from inside. IDK why RAM didn't do the same. It's been about 5 or 6 years since we had a rash of random vandals mess with vehicles, yards and or egging homes but you never know when the next kids like this decide to come back through. I guess I really only have to worry about the Jus Cruisins of the world bent on sabotaging gas caps just to prove a point. I will leave it at that. I am out regardless of what gets posted now.
How is the Geno's locking cap? Does it seem like it's really secure when you try pulling on it?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread has gone off the rails. You guys should take your beef to the Off Topic Discussion section and play king-of-the-internet-mountain over there.

All the OP asked was if there was a locking gas cap...and there is.
Very true...there's no need to interrogate someone for asking about a locking gas cap and providing valid reasons why. I ended up here looking for the same thing for the same reasons. It's too bad that Mopar told me they have no plans to ever make a locking gas cap...smh.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the Geno's locking cap? Does it seem like it's really secure when you try pulling on it?

It’s pretty good It moves a bit but it would take a bunch of effort to rip offf. May not stop a pro thief from taking it off but should thwart some dumbass kid from screwing with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s pretty good It moves a bit but it would take a bunch of effort to rip offf. May not stop a pro thief from taking it off but should thwart some dumbass kid from screwing with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice!

GearHeadJoe

Reaction score
I live in an Urban enviroment and have had gas stolen out of my truck at least twice in last 30 days during broad daylight, first I thought I had a gas leak or something until someone found out the parking lots been hit. Ordering mine right now....thanks for the 411

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I live in an Urban enviroment and have had gas stolen out of my truck at least twice in last 30 days during broad daylight, first I thought I had a gas leak or something until someone found out the parking lots been hit. Ordering mine right now....thanks for the 411
The "cap" is well worth the cost. I use it as if it came with my truck. It will get the job done.

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
I just ordered one as well. It's for piece of mind.

Do I need it? Hopefully not, but there's a general lack of civility and respect for personal property these days that a gas guzzling road monster seems to trigger in unstable people.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I just ordered one as well. It's for piece of mind.

Do I need it? Hopefully not, but there's a general lack of civility and respect for personal property these days that a gas guzzling road monster seems to trigger in unstable people.
Here in Houston, since inauguration gas prices have already began to rise steadily. Crime is already up since Covid19. Its better that no one gets something stick in the mouth of your gas tank.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Yep, I like it. And mine doesnt move at all when tightened down a bit. I feel more secure knowing that somebody will have to work alot harder at getting to the gas in my tank.

Users who are viewing this thread