5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited with Active Air Dam...

Hihosilver

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here been enjoying my truck for about a month now.
Figured out most of the gadgets and getting used to all the updates over the past 3 Dodge/Rams I have had over the years.
Been reading that the Limited with air ride suspension does not have the active air dam. Well mine has it and it does activate as it should.
When the truck goes to aero mode it tucks back in before the suspension starts dropping.
If in normal mode then it does retract right about 40mph as it should.

Not sure if this has been discussed but everything I have been able to find on the interwebs points to not having the active airdam system if it has air ride???

Dave

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Figured out most of the gadgets and getting used to all the updates over the past 3 Dodge/Rams I have had over the years.
Been reading that the Limited with air ride suspension does not have the active air dam. Well mine has it and it does activate as it should.
When the truck goes to aero mode it tucks back in before the suspension starts dropping.

Not sure if this has been discussed but everything I have been able to find on the interwebs points to not having the active airdam system if it has air ride???

Dave
Curious as to how you know this? Are there lights or dash displays? And everything thing I have read says if you have a Limited you have aero only!

Hihosilver

Reaction score
Curious as to how you know this? Are there lights or dash displays? And everything thing I have read says if you have a Limited you have aero only!
Had the wife drive it while I rode next to the truck on my motorcycle. Can clearly see it drop the air dam right around 40mph and at 65 or so it goes up before the suspension drops into aero mode

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had the wife drive it while I rode next to the truck on my motorcycle. Can clearly see it drop the air dam right around 40mph and at 65 or so it goes up before the suspension drops into aero mode

Well this is a very curious thing. Makes me want to see the hardware underneath to see if it is installed. You may have a Unicorn!

Rick J

Reaction score
ACTIVE AIR DAM

As the Ram 1500 approaches 30 miles per hour, a Class-Exclusive active air dam automatically extends downward 2.5 inches to help reduce drag and make towing more efficient. This feature is standard on all Ram 1500 models that are not equipped with the available air suspension.

I know for sure that my Limited doesn't have an active air dam. The OP may have 1 of 1. Could be valuable :p

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Dave
I think you’re mistaking the air dam with Aero mode. Two different things.

The air dam protrudes from the bottom lip beneath the bumper and it’s speed dependent, and only available on trucks without air suspension.
Since air suspension trucks lower themselves automatically in Aero mode, the air dam is not necessary as it would be redundant.

What your truck does have, in addition to aero model is the active shutter grill, which open and close depending on speed.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Reaction score
Well this is a very curious thing. Makes me want to see the hardware underneath to see if it is installed. You may have a Unicorn!
What I read should be that its not but then I crawled under need and it was there,. So I though maybe it's just there because of the build but not hooked up. It is and it works. My build list shows Fixed front air dams and next line says Active front air dams

Hihosilver

Reaction score
I think you’re mistaking the air dam with Aero mode. Two different things.

The air dam protrudes from the bottom lip beneath the bumper and it’s speed dependent, and only available on trucks without air suspension.
Since air suspension trucks lower themselves automatically in Aero mode, the air dam is not necessary as it would be redundant.

What your truck does have, in addition to aero model is the auto-closing louvers in the bottom portion of the grill, which open and close depending on speed.

Cheers,
#5 is what is installed on my truck and it works.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, could be installed by mistake or Ram is starting to put them on air suspension trucks as well. I would image clearance is pretty tight with it deployed when the truck is in Aeromode.

tdager

Reaction score
What I read should be that its not but then I crawled under need and it was there,. So I though maybe it's just there because of the build but not hooked up. It is and it works. My build list shows Fixed front air dams and next line says Active front air dams

Pic of build list?

HaKkErO

Reaction score
I would like to see the build list. If OP has ORG also then I don't see a problem with clearance.

cra1g

Reaction score

That's very interesting. If the air dam goes back up when the suspension goes to aero mode, then the software has to know BOTH are installed. It sounds less like a build mistake, and more like something they're configuring intentionally now.

What's your build date?

Hihosilver

Reaction score
This is indeed interesting ... pics or it didn't happen? :D

-John
I will crawl underneath and take pics, as far as pics while its working, not going to happen since I am on my bike and in Illinois its on your record now if you touch a phone while driving/riding

Users who are viewing this thread