5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's see those running boards/side steps

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I have them as well although I opted to tuck them in to the body more. I like the dual purpose of rock slider.....

Do you have photos showing them tucked in more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LakesAZ

Reaction score
It had 3 brackets per side - I can’t imagine any boards that wouldn’t use all the mounts offered.. maybe the quadcab only has 2?
That’s what I thought. My only guess is that it might have been a review for a small truck.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Go rhino d6

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Go rhino d6
6c0fb31725d099f4de301943ab4d866c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Where did you order those from?

Talpa

Reaction score
i have these too, mine have some surface rust between the seams, curious if you'll develop that as well. as much as i clean them, i can't seem to stop the rust
I have rust on my Westin’s that are a year old. Is there a used market for these things?

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Just added the Go Rhino D6's, took about 2 hours, they are a little awkward to attach until you figure out the process. I love how they look and they seem very sturdy so far.

Attachments

• IMG_6139.jpeg
    IMG_6139.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_6140.jpeg
    IMG_6140.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_6141.jpeg
    IMG_6141.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_6142.jpeg
    IMG_6142.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_6143.jpeg
    IMG_6143.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_6145.jpeg
    IMG_6145.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 523

CPenn1086

Reaction score
Those look great! I think I may order a set of those for my Laramie this week. The seats are gonna get destroyed if we keep sliding our asses across them to get out lol.

neeginan

Reaction score
I went with the APS iBoard Polished Aluminum boards. I have the old school chrome bumpers and 20 in Chrome wheels, so I wanted a bit of chrome on the boards to tie it together.

The way these are shipped, and I imagine that it is similar with a lot of these boards, the brackets are shipped in pairs in a plastic bag. I noticed that there were some places where the black paint from the factory was thin or down to metal from the pieces rubbing together in shipment - I am talking about the mounting brackets. The boards were packed individually and were fine. Anyway, I hit the brackets with some satin black rustoleum in the small exposed areas before doing the install as a just in case.

Very easy install with quite a bit of adjustability front to back, in and out. I went with them all the way in as I didn't want them sticking out. And at 6 in wide, I can step well on the board even with them tucked in. Wife approved setting as well. 20201111_134135.jpg 20201111_134156.jpg 20201111_134207.jpg 20201111_134225.jpg 20201111_134414.jpg

RamThunder

Reaction score
Neeginan,

I'm thinking of getting a set of the APS iBoards (yours look great BTW) and have a couple questions.

How are they for strength, is there much flex when you step on them (I'm a big guy, 6' 7", 275 lbs) and there are a number of reviews on Amazon indicating that they flex a lot (but it looks like the reviews are for ALL styles of APS running boards).

Did the mounting brackets use all THREE factory mounting bolts per bracket?

How is the black top cap, rubber, hard plastic, slip resistant?

THANKS

Last edited:

Kwade88

Reaction score
These rough country's were installed by the dealer. Been thinking of swapping for some AMP research retractable steps. We'll see after deer season.

Attachments

• 20200927_112204.jpg
    20200927_112204.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 459
  • 20200918_184657.jpg
    20200918_184657.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 457

neeginan

Reaction score
Neeginan,

I'm thinking of getting a set of the APS iBoards (yours look great BTW) and have a couple questions.

How are they for strength, is there much flex when you step on them (I'm a big guy, 6' 7", 275 lbs) and there are a number of reviews on Amazon indicating that they flex a lot (but it looks like the reviews are for ALL styles of APS running boards).

Did the mounting brackets use all THREE factory mounting bolts per bracket?

How is the black top cap, rubber, hard plastic, slip resistant?

THANKS

RamThunder,

They are all aluminum. I like that because I have seen a number of the cost effective heavy steel boards that suffer rust too quickly, sometimes where you don't see it under the rubber anti-slip step pads or near poorly painted welds under the board. Not a huge deal, because I was going to repaint poorly painted welds if I went with steel boards as a just in case. But anyway, these ones have what I would characterize as a slight but normal flex under my 210 lbs. I consider them to be plenty strong. There is also flex in the truck suspension, naturally, the cab tips a bit when you step up. You are 275, so you will see more flex. If flex is a key concern of yours, you might want to avoid any of the thinner look aluminum boards - your call.

The steel brackets use two factory mounting bolts per bracket. The brackets appear to be pretty beefy. The bracket is a type of universal bracket that has four holes. It is like a Isosceles trapezoid shape so even though it only uses two of the mounting bolts per mounting point, there is a large flat area against the inside of the truck rocker panel. All six brackets are identical. For the middle bracket, you have two options where you can mount it with maybe an inch of difference front to back, due to the location of the mounting bolts on the Ram. Like an inch closer to the front bracket or an inch closer to the rear bracket. If you are concerned about flex for you, you should probably install it on the bolts closer to the front bracket - shorten the distance between the front and middle mounting brackets - might help a bit with flex. A pic of the middle mounting bracket is below. Not a great pic, the ground is wet this morning and I am 'at remote work in my work clothes appropriate for zoom meetings'. LOL

20201112_101541.jpg

The black top appears painted or powder coated. It is a non slip finish with groves that run the direction of front to back of the truck. The non slip works. For example, they are wet this morning and they are still non slip if you try to run your shoe across them or even your finger across the wet surface. I was worried that it might be a rubber cap glued on, because we all know that glued stuff comes unglued over time and with extreme temps. So I was relieved when I saw the actual finish. They have the same kind of finish black painted finish on the bottom of the board which should help a bit with noise/singing from splash that you sometimes get with unpainted aluminum running boards.

I am very happy with the boards. Now, at 210 lbs I am not as strong as your 275 lbs. If you still want to go with any of the aluminum boards, you may want to verify if you can return them due to what you would consider to be too much flex. The install process is so fricken easy, It wouldn't be much of a pia to take them off and ship them back.

EDIT: I just ran an errand in the truck. I noticed that where I step to enter the truck, the ball of my foot is basically over the front bracket. The back of my foot is a few inches behind the front bracket. Basically, I am stepping with my weight on the running board on top of and just behind the front bracket. Basically the little bit of flex is bracket flex. You will get some slight board flex if you step in the areas of the board that are right in between any of the brackets. I consider it slight and normal.

Why am I adding this? If you get a stiffer non-aluminum board, but the brackets are similar to these, you will get the same bracket flex. So you may need to pay more attention to the brackets than the actual board. Like I said before, these brackets are pretty beefy to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread