5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s see your Dogs!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My two trouble makers. The Chihuahua is 10 years old and he hasn’t slowed down at all. The other guy keeps him young. The other pup is our 4 year old French Bulldog/Boston Terrier mix. Also a bundle of energy lol. These two weren’t crazy about each other when first introduced, but now they’re the best of friends.

984F6F34-C677-418C-BED7-1FFFAC844217.jpeg

jkm312

Reaction score
My mom put her West-highland Terrier (Westie) down on Monday and she’s been a wreck ever since.
They never ever live long enough do they. I've had to do this same thing, it never gets any easier no matter what.
These humble creatures give us all they have for as long as they have.
When we know they are suffering we owe them a humane end. I see it as the final act of respect and love.
Regardless it is never ever easy in any way imaginable.

pitboss000

Reaction score
Had to put my 13yo Sheltie mix down 10 years ago. It took me 6 years to recover and get my Parson Russell, Abby. I know it's inevitable - but it's a terrible experience. I'll never forget the sad way she looked in the end and want to believe she was thinking this way. This brought me to tears bud.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had to put my 13yo Sheltie mix down 10 years ago. It took me 6 years to recover and get my Parson Russell, Abby. I know it's inevitable - but it's a terrible experience. I'll never forget the sad way she looked in the end and want to believe she was thinking this way. This brought me to tears bud.
Same. When we put our German Shepard down it broke my heart. Our Blue Heeler is getting close, and it kills me to think about going through that again. I know it's a part of dog ownership but that doesn't make it any easier.

They never ever live long enough do they. I've had to do this same thing, it never gets any easier no matter what.
When we know they are suffering we owe them a humane end. I see it as the final act of respect and love.
And that's what makes it so hard. The unconditional love and the complete trust they put in us. You're right though. If they're suffering we owe it to them to make the hard choice instead of being selfish and prolonging their pain just so we can delay our sadness.

Here's a mood lightener. Ever wonder why your dog stares at you when it poops? It's because they're vulnerable while they're pooping so they're looking at you for signs of danger. In their mind you are legitimately protecting them, even if you're just standing on the porch thinking "come on man it's cold out here, let's speed this process along".

And here's a picture of the previously mentioned Shepard (Kira) and our Heeler (Buckles) playing in the rain. What a mess that was. Their run flooded, but they didn't seem to care. Those were some soggy doggies when they came it. Not bad on a Heeler, a bear to clean up on a Shepard.
Flood Kira and Buckles.JPG

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Yep, that's how it goes. Took us 15 years after Max died (he couldn't walk any more, had to be carried outside to try to do his duty but usually peed or pooped right where he laid in the lanai, we just cleaned up after him)(and he was deaf and blind, too)(so we finally took him to the vet to be put to sleep) - only after that much time was the hurt gone enough for us to get another dog, Sunny our 1st Border Collie, and now we also have Buddy #2 BC.

Not looking forward to ~10 years from now when we will probably have to have Sunny put to sleep, but she will be given much love and fun until the end. And we should still have Buddy - maybe also get another puppy then ...

Dave

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same. When we put our German Shepard down it broke my heart. Our Blue Heeler is getting close, and it kills me to think about going through that again. I know it's a part of dog ownership but that doesn't make it any easier.

And that's what makes it so hard. The unconditional love and the complete trust they put in us. You're right though. If they're suffering we owe it to them to make the hard choice instead of being selfish and prolonging their pain just so we can delay our sadness.

Here's a mood lightener. Ever wonder why your dog stares at you when it poops? It's because they're vulnerable while they're pooping so they're looking at you for signs of danger. In their mind you are legitimately protecting them, even if you're just standing on the porch thinking "come on man it's cold out here, let's speed this process along".

And here's a picture of the previously mentioned Shepard (Kira) and our Heeler (Buckles) playing in the rain. What a mess that was. Their run flooded, but they didn't seem to care. Those were some soggy doggies when they came it. Not bad on a Heeler, a bear to clean up on a Shepard.
View attachment 122130
Buckles looks a bit like our Adelaide. She’s an ACD/heeler mixed with…something. To my untrained eye, she looks like she’s got some Doberman in her; the vet thinks German shepherd.

She’s a young girl who just turned one in January, full of energy, and loves frisbees. We had to have two dogs put down last year. They lived very full lives of 17 and 16 years.
646269ED-5594-405F-A0FF-917286F65765.jpeg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lost my 12 year old Basenji to cancer late last year. He didn't ride in the RAM that much, but before we had kids if I was in my Titan it was almost a guarantee he was with me. Now if I don't have the kids in the truck his sister gets to take up that spot.
1646239965171.png
1646240544938.png

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Buckles looks a bit like our Adelaide. She’s an ACD/heeler mixed with…something. To my untrained eye, she looks like she’s got some Doberman in her; the vet thinks German shepherd.

She’s a young girl who just turned one in January, full of energy, and loves frisbees. We had to have two dogs put down last year. They lived very full lives of 17 and 16 years.
View attachment 122133
Wow, Adelaide looks very much like Buckles. The hair on her legs and tail look longer but that face is spot on.
Funny because I didn't know ACD's could be primarily black until I met a lady who bread them. She had two pups that were black. Until then I thought they were either "blue" or "red". I did an online search afterward and saw a lot of black ones. Who knew.
Having had a GSD, I'm inclined to agree with the vet on Adelaide. That posture, and her torso definitely look Shepard like. I can certainly see where you got Dobbie though, from the markings. Turns out those brown patches on the legs, chest, eye brows and ears are typical of the ACD too though.

Cute ACD pup for reference ↓↓↓
iu

Lost my 12 year old Basenji to cancer late last year. He didn't ride in the RAM that much, but before we had kids if I was in my Titan it was almost a guarantee he was with me. Now if I don't have the kids in the truck his sister gets to take up that spot.
View attachment 122135
View attachment 122136
Buckles rides in my truck every where I go. She rides so often I made her a "dog deck." Somewhere on the forum there's a thread about them, so I'm not the only weirdo to do it. :D
Not the best photo, but it shows the general concept.
Dog deck (3).jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Buckles rides in my truck every where I go. She rides so often I made her a "dog deck." Somewhere on the forum there's a thread about them, so I'm not the only weirdo to do it. :D
Not the best photo, but it shows the general concept.
View attachment 122178
Yeah I had a King Cab (Quad Cab) so no back windows. He was in the front seat with his paws on the arm rest on the door with his head out the window 90% of the time. If it was cold I'd just turn the heat on and deal with it.

Side note: I don't know what Nissan used for leather in those Titans, but he spent 10 years in that truck with no seat covers. Those seats never got even the smallest tear in them after years of abuse.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's actually pretty impressive. I hate to give props to an import, but 10 years of dog is a lot of abuse.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know it's off topic, but if my Titan had a full back seat I wouldn't be in a RAM and on this forum. 12 years, 158k miles, and it ran better than new. Intake, headers, exhaust, tune, a few other things, and it put more power to the pavement than my Rebel does (at least for now). Yeah, Nissan puts 1980 interiors in their vehicles, but that truck was a 300k+ mile truck easy with that VK56 engine. It was a buy at 20 years old that I planned on keeping forever (who thinks about kids then?), and I abused the sh!t out of it. I loved that truck.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With good training and a job to do ACD's are amazing dogs. Had 2 Male ACD's during our Texas Heelers life. First one was a ranch dog that never complained regardless of job or weather but wasn't good in a house and the 2nd was hyper dominant with other dogs but a sweetheart to his family. The herding instinct is certainly strong in that breed and everything needs to be herded! FB_IMG_1646329714627.jpg FB_IMG_1646329685496.jpg

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With good training and a job to do ACD's are amazing dogs. Had 2 Male ACD's during our Texas Heelers life. First one was a ranch dog that never complained regardless of job or weather but wasn't good in a house and the 2nd was hyper dominant with other dogs but a sweetheart to his family. The herding instinct is certainly strong in that breed and everything needs to be herded! View attachment 122189 View attachment 122190
Yeah they herd nonstop, even when they sleep

Attachments

• 20130518_173654.jpg
    20130518_173654.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread