5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Led vs Dynamic Bi Led headlights?

Which looks better?

• Total voters

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum here (recently a Ford guy),
I'm in the process of ordering a 2019 Ram 1500 and saw the two headlight choices on the laramie and the longhorn/limited. Anyone have experience with both? Since they are both full leds are there any differences besides the ability to turn lik the brightness...shape...daytime running light shape...turn signals...etc. I'm considering the Laramine or the Longhorn so the headlights are a big factor. Which looks better or is more functional?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Victor

warvet

Reaction score
Looks better? Subjective to each person. More functional? Bi Leds (twin bi-functional) rotate, so I'd say that makes them more functional. Other differences? They both have accent lights and such that are similar......but may look different because the headlights are shaped differently.

I just really think you should get the one you want..............you're going to get all kinds of responses. Some don't like the 'squinted' looking lights on the Longhorn/Limited, but I love them. They both have LEDs and people are extremely happy with both. I don't think one would be brighter than the other...........just the rotating function and the fact that the fog lights acts as a cornering light when they aren't on (at night). My fog lights stay on, so that's not a big deal.

I think you should decide why you want the Laramie or Longhorn and go from there ----not sure the headlights would be the deciding factor for me. For example, if you like Laramie Black Edition, then get that and I wouldn't get the Longhorn just for the extra functioning lights (for example). If you like the real wood of the Longhorn, then get that truck. If you prefer the entire front end of the Longhorn/Limited, then there you have it. I think both lights perform just fine, according to many posts on this forum.

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Looks better? Subjective to each person. More functional? Bi Leds (twin bi-functional) rotate, so I'd say that makes them more functional. Other differences? They both have accent lights and such that are similar......but may look different because the headlights are shaped differently.

I just really think you should get the one you want..............you're going to get all kinds of responses. Some don't like the 'squinted' looking lights on the Longhorn/Limited, but I love them. They both have LEDs and people are extremely happy with both. I don't think one would be brighter than the other...........just the rotating function and the fact that the fog lights acts as a cornering light when they aren't on (at night). My fog lights stay on, so that's not a big deal.
Appreciate the response. The reason the headlights are a big deal for me is because I do 80% of my driving at night during/to/from work. The interiors are both nice so it doesn't bother me but would give an edge to the Longhorn. The dynamic lights are a cool feature but im worried about longevity since they are obviously moving parts. And also the fact that they are somewhat "automated" and might randomly change brightness and do wierd things while driving might annoy me a bit...

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go with the BI-LEDS, It's the one feature I wanted that was not available on the regular Laramie trim, but I didn't want to jump to the Limited to get them because I didn't want air suspension or the 12 inch screen. The longhorn was out because the western themed interior was not my cup of tea.

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
The longhorn was out because the western themed interior was not my cup of tea.

I was thinking the same think about the Longhorn but I saw that there was a black interior option which should tone down the westerness haha. How are your current headlights performing?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The headlights on the Limited are the best I've ever seen. They don't do anything unexpected. I don't notice them moving. I just see really well at night and that's great because my night vision has diminished over the years. I have eye issues anyways. You won't be disappointed with the LEDS if they are the same as the Limited's.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking the same think about the Longhorn but I saw that there was a black interior option which should tone down the westerness haha. How are your current headlights performing?
Fantastic, I had the optional led projectors in my GMC sierra that I traded in and the Rams headlights are much better.

Jackham

Reaction score
Yes I agree. My wife and I took out a Longhorn with the dynamic specifically to test the lights and they are phenomenal. Auto dim can be shut off. I could barely drive home with my F 150 afterwards they seemed so dim.

Now about that two tone availability in walnut.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The black/new saddle interior was a major selling point for my wife and me. Just...wow.

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
Now about that two tone availability in walnut.

Was actually considering that too. Not sure how it would look with black. I think adding the two tone changes some things in the interior too and a different set of wheels I think...

warvet

Reaction score
same
The black/new saddle interior was a major selling point for my wife and me. Just...wow.

Same here!! Without that interior option, I may not have purchased a Ram. But that 'other' brown option....the lighter brown......to me, it's horrible. It does look like a scene out of Gun Smoke.---too much stitching designs. For some reason, it's the only brown that my local dealership seems to get in, so some ppl don't even know about the black/new saddle option and they think all Longhorn owners have those Gun Smoke seats (lol). And truthfully, I don't like the seat stitching in the Limited; it was too much for me. Goes to show Ram has something for all of us.

OP, don't be afraid of the longevity of 'moving lights' because this isn't new technology. I've had, what BMW calls 'adaptive headlights' for years and never an issue. I still say that LEDs are going to be great on any of the Ram models. I've found LEDs to be LEDs across numerous autos I've owned. I think you'd be happy with either lights. The 'turning' feature is cool, but it's not something that wows me. You can see them turn on really dark roads, but to me it's just 'cool". I guess because BMWs turned a lot more. Auto hi beam is the one feature that is a must for me because I'm so used to having it. Now...........go get yourself a Longhorn or Limited because our front end is killer :)

Last edited:

Cmoar

Reaction score
I had HIDs in my projectors (high and low beams) on my gen4. They were amazing, especially the way they lit up the ditches on both sides of the road. The lights on my Longhorn are just as good. I was very impressed with the output and field of view. I do a lot of driving in rural areas, and good lights are a must with all the deer trying to jump out in front of you. And yes, the black saddle is awesome!

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
same

Same here!! Without that interior option, I may not have purchased a Ram. But that 'other' brown option....the lighter brown......to me, it's horrible. It does look like a scene out of Gun Smoke.---too much stitching designs. For some reason, it's the only brown that my local dealership seems to get in, so some ppl don't even know about the black/new saddle option and they think all Longhorn owners have those Gun Smoke seats (lol). And truthfully, I don't like the seat stitching in the Limited; it was too much for me. Goes to show Ram has something for all of us.

And yes, the black saddle is awesome!

Any of you guys have photos of your Longhorn black saddle interior? I can't seem to find a single picture online...only that nasty brown colour

Cmoar

Reaction score
Any of you guys have photos of your Longhorn black saddle interior? I can't seem to find a single picture online...only that nasty brown colour
If you want to see anything specific I can go get better pics.

Attachments

• 94E0A64B-AA57-4954-A794-86DEAF938AAE.jpeg
    94E0A64B-AA57-4954-A794-86DEAF938AAE.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 95
  • 986BA95E-04D3-45AD-AA1B-6CB90CAA0985.jpeg
    986BA95E-04D3-45AD-AA1B-6CB90CAA0985.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 167A5171-EA46-4C1D-B1B6-EB2B70E08650.jpeg
    167A5171-EA46-4C1D-B1B6-EB2B70E08650.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 98
  • B0D32F81-139B-4A52-96BE-D285626159DF.jpeg
    B0D32F81-139B-4A52-96BE-D285626159DF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 5AD17103-C022-468F-A590-CE1F9BBA8F66.jpeg
    5AD17103-C022-468F-A590-CE1F9BBA8F66.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 85

VictorLin0725

Reaction score
If you want to see anything specific I can go get better pics.

That's plenty thanks! How are the brown seats holding up? Worried it will be like the F-150 Kingranch where the leather start to get really bad as time goes on...Will be choosing either this or the all black in the laramie sport :)

Cmoar

Reaction score
That's plenty thanks! How are the brown seats holding up? Worried it will be like the F-150 Kingranch where the leather start to get really bad as time goes on...Will be choosing either this or the all black in the laramie sport :)
They've held up great. So did the ones in my '13 Laramie. Like with any leather you just have to keep them conditioned. I really like the chemical guys leather products. No shiny, oily look and still smells like leather.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
same

OP, don't be afraid of the longevity of 'moving lights' because this isn't new technology. I've had, what BMW calls 'adaptive headlights' for years and never an issue. I still say that LEDs are going to be great on any of the Ram models. I've found LEDs to be LEDs across numerous autos I've owned. I think you'd be happy with either lights. The 'turning' feature is cool, but it's not something that wows me. You can see them turn on really dark roads, but to me it's just 'cool". I guess because BMWs turned a lot more. Auto hi beam is the one feature that is a must for me because I'm so used to having it. Now...........go get yourself a Longhorn or Limited because our front end is killer :)

I had the adaptive headlights in a Jaguar and Lexus with the auto high feature and where they really "shine" is night driving on twisty mountain roads. the tech I'm hoping makes it's way into trucks soon is a matrix/laser LED setup like Audi uses on their flagship sedans all the advantage of movable head lights without any moving parts. I assume there is a whole slew of patents on those though so it would likely be quite a while before that tech makes into other vehicles.

warvet

Reaction score
They've held up great. So did the ones in my '13 Laramie. Like with any leather you just have to keep them conditioned. I really like the chemical guys leather products. No shiny, oily look and still smells like leather.

I love chemical guys but use it mostly on my Harley. I use 303 products for cleaning interiors on cars. That stuff is amazing too. Their protectant is used mostly by boat guys. No shine and it’s wonderful like chemical guys. But For my seats, I’ve opted for warm water and woolite and found it to work wonders. This was shared on a Mercedes forum years ago and I’ve been using it since. Then I may follow up with some sort of conditioner or protector every few months. I agree with u that any of the leathers hold up fine if you take care of them. I’ve found most owners don’t do anything to their seats.

Users who are viewing this thread