5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED light in tailgate handle

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Here is the write-up... just thrown together. Hopefully I didn't miss anything or make many mistakes, I was going off memory.. :)
**** Make Note--- This is for the STANDARD tailgate w/o surround view ****
-=FM45=-
@Jimmy07 will this write up be the same install for those with surroundview?

Burns1200

Reaction score
Got this done today on my 2019 Limited

PXL_20230624_202859053.MP.jpg

I followed @FM45 write up, although I did make one big difference from his write up. I Did not want to cut into the truck side harness to add the diodes. I wanted to cut harness on the tailgate side just to make fixing anything easier later on. I found some premade Deutsch DT connectors at Princess Auto so I picked them up so I could keep the tailgate still easily removable. I didn't take any pictures of the diodes after soldering because, well, I don't feel like getting bullied on the internet today :ROFLMAO: Just followed FM45s pictures again
This is what I did but but was much cleaner when I was done
PXL_20230624_184529046.MP.jpg
I pulled the power from the reverse lights for the lamp to come on in reverse by adding a Curt 5 pin hidden harness and getting the power from it. I got power from the bed lights on the passenger side. Pulled the tail light out to make it all easier to get to. Also saw I needed to clean out the bottom corners of the bedside from road debris, so I did that too.

PXL_20230624_203354077.MP.jpg

Part numbers
Handle - 7KJ43KXJAA Black, surround view, no chrome
Harness - 68531011AB
Lamp - 68509246AA

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Looking good!

I actually finished mine up earlier today as well. I’ll post good photos later on when I get back home where my truck is.

I was going to do both the bed lights and the reverse but ended up just sticking with the LED turning on through bed lights when I unlock the car etc…

pinzg35

Reaction score
Thanks to @FM45 and his write up, I was able to finish this ‘mod’ over the weekend. I will say doing this on my truck with the MFTG was a pain in the **** for sure. The harness it self was a beast to get out and get back in. The harness has a plug that attaches to both sides of the doors and the one on the right side runs along the metal frame of the tailgate which really was a pain to get to let alone uninstall all the push clips. After a lot of cussing and cut fingers and hands I was able to get it done.

Few things to note. Pin8 on my ‘21 was a orangish color as shown in the first pic. That is the wire that I cut and tapped the pigtail that feeds to the bedlights and reverse light.

I tested all the wires for the bedlights and the red one is the one you want to splice into (2nd pic)

For the reverse light, the white wire with purple stripe, which is the 3rd from the left, is the one you will tap into (3rd pic)

I thought about not doing this and just tapping into the bedlights but I’m glad I did. The light output at night is much better than without the LED bar.

I lucked out and was able to buy the MFTG handle in my color from a member here. The harness for the MFTG with surround view is 68531014AB and the LED bar is 68509246AA. You will need to reuse two of the small screws to be able to attach the light bar to your new handle.

Yes this ‘mod’ was a little pricey since you have to buy a whole new harness but I think it’s worth it. I was always jealous have Fords have this similar light and also jealous the added it to our trucks a year after I bought mine 🤦🏽‍♂️ Having the extra light at night is nice and even better when reversing.

Hopefully this is helpful for those with the MFTG.

Attachments

• IMG_8229.jpeg
    IMG_8229.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8230.jpeg
    IMG_8230.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8231.jpeg
    IMG_8231.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 78

FM45

Reaction score
Awesome PeePs.... great job !!!

-=FM45=-

Rotordrew

Reaction score
Thanks to @FM45 and his write up, I was able to finish this ‘mod’ over the weekend. I will say doing this on my truck with the MFTG was a pain in the **** for sure. The harness it self was a beast to get out and get back in. The harness has a plug that attaches to both sides of the doors and the one on the right side runs along the metal frame of the tailgate which really was a pain to get to let alone uninstall all the push clips. After a lot of cussing and cut fingers and hands I was able to get it done.

Few things to note. Pin8 on my ‘21 was a orangish color as shown in the first pic. That is the wire that I cut and tapped the pigtail that feeds to the bedlights and reverse light.

I tested all the wires for the bedlights and the red one is the one you want to splice into (2nd pic)

For the reverse light, the white wire with purple stripe, which is the 3rd from the left, is the one you will tap into (3rd pic)

I thought about not doing this and just tapping into the bedlights but I’m glad I did. The light output at night is much better than without the LED bar.

I lucked out and was able to buy the MFTG handle in my color from a member here. The harness for the MFTG with surround view is 68531014AB and the LED bar is 68509246AA. You will need to reuse two of the small screws to be able to attach the light bar to your new handle.

Yes this ‘mod’ was a little pricey since you have to buy a whole new harness but I think it’s worth it. I was always jealous have Fords have this similar light and also jealous the added it to our trucks a year after I bought mine 🤦🏽‍♂️ Having the extra light at night is nice and even better when reversing.

So to get this straight, if I only want it to come on with the bedlights, I splice into the red of the bed light wiring and then run a wire and splice into the orange of the new tailgate harness?

Cesar592

Reaction score

When you touched the white-purple wire and spliced it, did the reverse light come on or not when you turn on the bed lights?

pinzg35

Reaction score
So to get this straight, if I only want it to come on with the bedlights, I splice into the red of the bed light wiring and then run a wire and splice into the orange of the new tailgate harness?
My pin8 wire was orangish in color but yours might be different but yes, if you only want the handle light to turn on with your bed lights you would only need to tap into the red bed light wire. I would recommend testing your wires with a multimeter just to make sure you are tapping into the right bed light wire.

pinzg35

Reaction score
When you touched the white-purple wire and spliced it, did the reverse light come on or not when you turn on the bed lights?
The reverse lights do not come on with when the bed lights are on...only when the cars in reverse.

Cesar592

Reaction score
The reverse lights do not come on with when the bed lights are on...only when the cars in reverse.
then I'm doing something wrong because one side of the reverse light comes on I also have a problem unlocking the doors the tailgate will also open what I did I touched the brown wire of the bed lights on the driver's side and I touched it to the pin number 8 now lights up but also opens

pinzg35

Reaction score
then I'm doing something wrong because one side of the reverse light comes on I also have a problem unlocking the doors the tailgate will also open what I did I touched the brown wire of the bed lights on the driver's side and I touched it to the pin number 8 now lights up but also opens
I'm not positive what the brown wire is but I used the 'red' wire of the bed light harness to tap into. On my '21 the red wire was the power line when I tested all the wires using a multimeter. You are using a new harness, yeah?

Cesar592

Reaction score
I'm not positive what the brown wire is but I used the 'red' wire of the bed light harness to tap into. On my '21 the red wire was the power line when I tested all the wires using a multimeter. You are using a new harness, yeah?
I think I don't have the red one because my bed didn't have the lights. Afterwards the Mopar kit was installed and I bought the harness that has the connector for the tailgate light.

pinzg35

Reaction score
I think I don't have the red one because my bed didn't have the lights. Afterwards the Mopar kit was installed and I bought the harness that has the connector for the tailgate light.
Ah, I see. I'm not sure which wire you would need to tap into to make this work properly then. Maybe @FM45 could provide some expertise?=)

dvpvuc

Reaction score
In part numbers that are color specific, the 7th and 8th value in the part number will always represent the last two values of the paint code.
Maximum steel metallic paint code is PAR. The handle part number for it would be 7KJ40KARAA. The “K” is irrelevant, only the “AR” matters.
Also, be careful when selecting tailgate handles because there are 4 different part numbers for each color. There’s full body color and body color with chrome. Then for each of those, the camera hole is either specific to the regular backup camera, or the backup camera for the surround view system.
What would a part number be for a 2022 Ram 2500 PAU (non 360) entire handle body color (no chrome) Thank you!

Shanesrt8

Reaction score
For anyone wanting to do this mod, I have the harness 68531010AB that I no longer need. It does not fit my '21 TRX. If interested send me a PM.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you guys that have the MFT that did this have any info on how to get in there to get the handle out or work behind it. I've been trying to find some MFT disassembly info for a while now as my tailgate handle light has been flickering like a strobe light. I just wanna replace it but its not immediately obvious how to get inside the MFT. I just don't wanna go guessing my way into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/