5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED light in tailgate handle

Burns1200

Reaction score
The led light and wiring part numbers should be good to go for all DT's , the only part number is going to change is the handle... because of color and if it has the chrome insert.... Mine is BlueSteel w/o chrome, I can post that number if it helps any member...

-=FM45=-
It will be a help to point in the right direction to find the correct part for other colours :)

pinzg35

Reaction score
The led light and wiring part numbers should be good to go for all DT's , the only part number is going to change is the handle... because of color and if it has the chrome insert.... Mine is BlueSteel w/o chrome, I can post that number if it helps any member...

-=FM45=-
Besides the led light, wiring harness, and handle do you need any other OE parts to make this work? Looking forward to your write up! Thanks.

FM45

Reaction score
--- Just the 3 parts to make everything work, no other OE parts required... you will need 2 diodes and approx 2 ft of 22 gauge wire. All will be in my write-up..

handle part no.jpg This is my part number that I ordered for my vehicle. Maxsteel without chrome insert.
For other colors start here--

Look at Part #4, then My part number ... 7KJ40KARAA --- read the description to understand the listing
I believe depending on your Ram, the first 4 digits remain constant and the renaming will change with the color --- I am no expert so YOU must do your homework before you order... For EX... read Mopar's description of my handle, says Red -- and no mention of MaxSteel...
If anybody knows how to speak Mopar please stand-up.... :)

-=FM45=-

Last edited:

Burns1200

Reaction score
--- Just the 3 parts to make everything work, no other OE parts required... you will need 2 diodes and approx 2 ft of 22 gauge wire. All will be in my write-up..

View attachment 159542 This is my part number that I ordered for my vehicle. Bluesteel without chrome insert.

Look at Part #4, then My part number ... 7KJ40KARAA --- read the description to understand the listing
I believe depending on your Ram, the first 4 digits remain constant and the renaming will change with the color --- I am no expert so YOU must do your homework before you order... For EX... read Mopar's description of my handle, says Red -- and no mention of BlueSteel...

-=FM45=-
If you can verify that the paint code on your truck is KAR then that part of the p/N is the colour code for the part. That's how it worked when I bought the door handles for my truck. Paint code is PAU P/N is 6CV64LAUAD. LAU appears to be an alternative to the same code.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230525-172036.png
    Screenshot_20230525-172036.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 31

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 159542 This is my part number that I ordered for my vehicle. Bluesteel without chrome insert.

I believe depending on your Ram, the first 4 digits remain constant and the renaming will change with the color --- I am no expert so YOU must do your homework before you order... For EX... read Mopar's description of my handle, says Red -- and no mention of BlueSteel...

-=FM45=-

If you can verify that the paint code on your truck is KAR then that part of the p/N is the colour code for the part. That's how it worked when I bought the door handles for my truck. Paint code is PAU P/N is 6CV64LAUAD. LAU appears to be an alternative to the same code.
In part numbers that are color specific, the 7th and 8th value in the part number will always represent the last two values of the paint code.
Maximum steel metallic paint code is PAR. The handle part number for it would be 7KJ40KARAA. The “K” is irrelevant, only the “AR” matters.
Also, be careful when selecting tailgate handles because there are 4 different part numbers for each color. There’s full body color and body color with chrome. Then for each of those, the camera hole is either specific to the regular backup camera, or the backup camera for the surround view system.

FM45

Reaction score
Well I knew somebody spoke Mopar, @Jimmy07 ... thanks for the explanation, it should help out others wanting to add this mod. I know my color is MaxSteel but I keep calling it Blue... I need sleep-- ;)

-=FM45=-

FM45

Reaction score
Here is the write-up... just thrown together. Hopefully I didn't miss anything or make many mistakes, I was going off memory.. :)
**** Make Note--- This is for the STANDARD tailgate w/o surround view ****
-=FM45=-

Attachments

• OE Tailgate Led 1.pdf
    177.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is the write-up... just thrown together. Hopefully I didn't miss anything or make many mistakes, I was going off memory.. :)

-=FM45=-
Looks good, but I think there is multiple wiring options for the tailgate depending on if you have the surroundview or parkview camera. And standard or multifunction tailgate.

FM45

Reaction score
@vincentw56 -- you're are totally correct on the different configuration---coming home from a 36 hr shift, I rushed it without sleep. I edited my post. I hope a member or two can jump in and post some missing part numbers...

-=FM45=-

pinzg35

Reaction score
**** Make Note--- This is for the STANDARD tailgate w/o surround view ****
-=FM45=-
Thanks for writing this up. Now I wonder if it’s a similar process for a truck with surround view and MFTG. @Jimmy07 would following FM45s write work the same with surround view and MFTG?

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 Rebel that I would love to get this done to. I have factory surround view and not sure which wiring harness I have to get to get this mod done. These are the two options that I see online and not sure what the difference is. I DO NOT have a MFTG:
68531010AB
68531011AB

As far as the handle itself, I’m having a hard time figuring out the whole color code or which handle to purchase. My Rebel is diamond black crystal pearl and with having surround view I’m not entirely sure which one to get if any one can guide me and post the exact part number I need to order.

Thanks in advance!

pinzg35

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 Rebel that I would love to get this done to. I have factory surround view and not sure which wiring harness I have to get to get this mod done. These are the two options that I see online and not sure what the difference is. I DO NOT have a MFTG:
68531010AB
68531011AB

As far as the handle itself, I’m having a hard time figuring out the whole color code or which handle to purchase. My Rebel is diamond black crystal pearl and with having surround view I’m not entirely sure which one to get if any one can guide me and post the exact part number I need to order.

Thanks in advance!
I wonder if one harness is for the MFTG and the other is for one without? Were you able to find anything out on the differences?

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
No nothing yet… I’m waiting for an expert to chime in to see which the difference is because both part numbers state the same information.

Burns1200

Reaction score
68531010AB
68531011AB

Thanks in advance!
I am not a professional but, according to MOPAR Parts and Accessories - Save up to 40% the part numbers you provided

68531010AB [Locking Tailgate], [ParkView Rear Back-up Camera].
68531011AB [Locking Tailgate], [Surround View Camera System].

Again not a professional but that is what the website says

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
I am not a professional but, according to MOPAR Parts and Accessories - Save up to 40% the part numbers you provided

68531010AB [Locking Tailgate], [ParkView Rear Back-up Camera].
68531011AB [Locking Tailgate], [Surround View Camera System].

Again not a professional but that is what the website says

Perfect. Other websites that I’ve seen don’t even mention that part so I appreciate it. I’ll be using that site from now on.

Burns1200

Reaction score
Perfect. Other websites that I’ve seen don’t even mention that part so I appreciate it. I’ll be using that site from now on.
That's the first time I've used that site. It was linked in an earlier post in this thread. In that post the author claims the part was labeled wrong so just be careful

Burns1200

Reaction score
Had a day off yesterday, So I went to my local dealer and took a tour of the new lot and they had a 23 Limited (priced at $101,900!) sitting there in my colour (PAU) with surround view so I looked at the tailgate and it had the light. I took a picture of the vin and went to the parts department. Turns out I know a guy who works there now I started bugging him about looking up numbers, he was showing me the screens as we looked. When he pulled the parts for the vin, there was no lamp listed for the tailgate, Just had the handle, camera, and wiring harness, And I believe there was one more thing but was not related.

I gave him the PN for the wiring harness from this post (68531011AB [Locking Tailgate], [Surround View Camera System].) It was the same number so that is correct! I had him order the handle off the truck. The wiring harness, and the lamp with the PN provided in the 2nd post in this thread (68509246AA). One of the parts had an updated version code ( ie: AA to AC) or something along those lines, I'm not 100% but I will post numbers when I get the parts later this week. I am 2 hours from Toronto and that's where we have a large parts warehouse so most parts are next day. The lamp and wiring are, The handle was listed as 3-5 days. Updates will come.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Looking forward to your future post burns!

I ended up ordering the parts the other day as well and just received my wiring harness yesterday (the same P/N you ordered with surround view).

I’m currently waiting for the LED lamp (same P/N you posted) and the tailgate handle. They haven’t shipped out yet so I’m patiently waiting for them.

For those of you who are interested in doing this retrofit and have a Diamond Black Crystal tailgate like mine with surroundview… this is the part number you need - 7KJ43KXJAA

FM45

Reaction score
I was asked about the pigtail that I used on MY19.... 3 wires and 2 diodes
Pic1.jpg Pic2.jpg Pic3.jpg Pic4.jpg Pic5.jpg

Hopefully the above pics clear up any questions and helps out any members taking on this mod...

-=FM45=-

Users who are viewing this thread