5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaking cab and the dealership “fix”

RamLink83

Reaction score
My dealer used black RTV for my leaking brake light too. I wasn't happy about it, but so far it has not leaked since the "fix". I had a case open with Ram as well through Ram Cares and I told the person assigned to my case that I didn't like the fix, but she didn't seem to really care. I asked her to make a note that if I ever need a new light bulb in my brake light that Ram is responsible for all the labor to remove the light and then ultimately probably have to replace the entire assembly. Since this would normally be a job I could just do myself I do not want to pay all that labor for them to change a bulb plus clean the RTV off and apply a new gasket.

STR

Reaction score
Trucks have had 3rd brake lights for 30’ish years (Law: ‘86 cars/‘94 trucks). You’d think that they would have this figured out by now.

Nonetheless, the work performed on your truck is unacceptable. Prices continued to go up, and service continues to go down... waaaaayyyy down.

Example: When I purchased my new truck I noticed that one of the hood vents was lifted- assuming a broken clip. No problem, just bring it back and we’ll fix it... OK, took it back a week later. Instead of fixing it properly, they mangled the hood liner (retainers missing), broke all the vent clips/tabs off- that rattled inside the hood, and double-sided taped it, which separated as soon as I got home. I had to go back so that they could order a new vent... Go back again so that they could install the vent... Ridiculous!

Edit: I forgot to mention that they even denied using tape, which you could clearly see in the gaps... as well as the purple adhesive promoter. So... poor service and dishonest! They only acknowledged it when I pulled a piece of the tape out :rolleyes:

No big deal, and it was ultimately fixed, but these are the repair attempts that you can see. Imagine the repairs that you can’t see, hence, the mistrust.

Last edited:

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
And that’s what gets me @STR , they didn’t say they touched the brake like as far as sealing goes. So had I not gone to put those bulbs in, who knows how long I would have gone without seeing what they had done. Although, given the leftovers on the bed rail, I guess I’d have figured it out pretty quick.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Not to mention the sloppy job they did of applying the silicone. I am extremely pissed that this is how they chose to do this. I even gave them insight to what other people experience with the cracked window or brake light itself. What should I do here?
GTFO away from them. In my experience a dealership that does a sh!tty job, is a sh1tty dealership. They never do any better than ur worst experience with them. Also in my experience, there are Good dealerships, but u may have to travel to them - if ur under warranty a Good dealership is priceless if u cant DIY

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. Hope you can get this resolved for the OP.
This is absolutely terrible work by a RAM ”technician”. FCA should be made aware of hacks like these.
I completely understand and I am grateful for it being brought to our attention! I have taken the steps to escalate accordingly at this point.
@RamCares Mark I responded to your message.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback and helping validate that I’m not crazy for being angry about this.
Thank you, @410DelmonicoSport! Just had a chance to get your case escalated!

Mark
RamCares

Bluesurf

Reaction score
These terrible Technicians should have this shoddy work documented on their records as well as get proper training. FCA should put out proper TSB's with the proper equipment to get the job done correctly.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
Well now as an added bonus, the airbag light issue I was dealing with, which they supposedly fixed, came back on yesterday. So of the 3 things I asked them to do, the only one they didn’t screw up was adding the bed light sales code. Oh, and it rained here last night, and guess what? Truck still leaks. Idiots

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well now as an added bonus, the airbag light issue I was dealing with, which they supposedly fixed, came back on yesterday. So of the 3 things I asked them to do, the only one they didn’t screw up was adding the bed light sales code. Oh, and it rained here last night, and guess what? Truck still leaks. Idiots

Maybe they think by clearing the code they fix the problem.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
Quick update on the situation:

I received a call from a FCA representative and I explained the situation. They told me I had to take the truck back to the dealer and work it out with them. So I scheduled an appointment for this morning and I spoke with my original service advisor when I arrived. He told me the silicone on the 3rd brake light was a standard and apprpved repair, which another posted mentioned. I asked him how making a serviceable part unserviceable makes sense, all he could do was regurgitate the same line over and over. I also asked him when a bulb burns out an I’m outside of warranty and the seal has to be compromised to change the bulb and my truck leaks again would they fix it under warranty since they caused that. He looked dumbfounded and had no response. I asked about the 3 gobs on the window, he said that was resealing the window. I had to explain to him that resealing the window meant resealing the whole window, not putting dabs in 3 places. Needless to say I have to buy a new brake light myself and then clean off all that crap because they are useless. Sorry for the long rant, but this whole situation just pisses me off, and it doesn’t seem as if FCA even cares about how dealers treat customer vehicles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a BS answer from your dealer. Several guys had it replaced under warranty. I told my dealer that I replaced the gasket with the Lowe’s option and they said that if that didn’t work that they would replace the light. Even though I messed with it already. You have water in the truck due to a failed seal on a new truck, it is 100000% percent a warranty issue.

I'm not sure who the "dealer" is in the original message (tech., service manager?), but it most certainly is a warranteed part. I'm on my third and never been charged for parts or labor. Just my opinion, but I'm thinking the lame response was because they got caught doing a lousy repair and needed to justify it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035108 miles.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick update on the situation:

I received a call from a FCA representative and I explained the situation. They told me I had to take the truck back to the dealer and work it out with them. So I scheduled an appointment for this morning and I spoke with my original service advisor when I arrived. He told me the silicone on the 3rd brake light was a standard and apprpved repair, which another posted mentioned. I asked him how making a serviceable part unserviceable makes sense, all he could do was regurgitate the same line over and over. I also asked him when a bulb burns out an I’m outside of warranty and the seal has to be compromised to change the bulb and my truck leaks again would they fix it under warranty since they caused that. He looked dumbfounded and had no response. I asked about the 3 gobs on the window, he said that was resealing the window. I had to explain to him that resealing the window meant resealing the whole window, not putting dabs in 3 places. Needless to say I have to buy a new brake light myself and then clean off all that crap because they are useless. Sorry for the long rant, but this whole situation just pisses me off, and it doesn’t seem as if FCA even cares about how dealers treat customer vehicles.

Maybe go to a different dealer? Have you asked ramcares to intervene?

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
@Dusty1948 I told them other people were having brake lights replaced, they didn’t care.

@LimitedGRR I had @RamCares open a case for me. The representative is the one that told me I had to go back to the dealer and work it out with them, which is why I went back today.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Dusty1948 I told them other people were having brake lights replaced, they didn’t care.

@LimitedGRR I had @RamCares open a case for me. The representative is the one that told me I had to go back to the dealer and work it out with them, which is why I went back today.
Can't say I've heard that level of disinterest from dealer service in quite awhile. Someone suggested to try another dealer and at this point you've got nothing to lose. Maybe a letter to FCA.

Hope someone helps you.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035239 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread