5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaking cab and the dealership “fix”

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
First of all, not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, so please move if I did it wrong. I noticed last week after 2 days of nonstop torrential rains the my headliner was wet, no big deal, I’ll just have them fix it. When I got the call it was ready to go I asked what they did. I was told they resealed my rear window and rechecked it and there were no leaks, ok fine. Today I went out to put my LED bulbs in my brake light, when I noticed black silicone all around my 3rd brake light. Not only did the basically glue my light to the cab, when I pulled it off, all the foam gasket ripped off. Plus, the sealing of my rear window consisted of black silicone being placed under the window, only where accessible with the brake light out. Not to mention the sloppy job they did of applying the silicone. I am extremely pissed that this is how they chose to do this. I even gave them insight to what other people experience with the cracked window or brake light itself. What should I do here?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Contact Mark at @RamCares They do a nice job acting as an intermediary between owners and dealers. Also definitely take the truck back and show them. They did not fixe it back to oem spec. Putting glue on a bad seal I’m sure is not in the manual for handling a 3rd brake light leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
I did contact ramcares already, but I just wanted to check with everyone else and see if I was overreacting to being totally pissed off.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did contact ramcares already, but I just wanted to check with everyone else and see if I was overreacting to being totally pissed off.
Not overreacting at all. Like @LimitedGRR said this is not the correct fix for this and it should be made right by the dealer. This is why I used the home remedy talked about heavily in the thread below, no leak since.....I don't trust my dealership.

Screenshot_20200501-084808.png

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely not the correct way to fix this. You don’t silicone at removable brake light into the cab. That’s a bush league cheap fix and you should run this as far up the chain as you can. Especially that they didn’t consult you on how they would fix it and just did it anyways.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
I think that’s one of my biggest issues. The service advisor only said about resealing the window. There was no mention of touching the brake light. At this point I want a new light since the factory seal is completely trashed, and I’d like for them to clean all that silicone off because it looks like absolute garbage.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
Also, to spice things up a bit, I just noticed there is silicone on my bed rail. Apparently the idiot couldn’t even clean that up. Here’s some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• 27B1BE6C-4B03-45FF-B44B-AE2EA9143355.jpeg
    27B1BE6C-4B03-45FF-B44B-AE2EA9143355.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 06C01950-73C5-4500-9EEB-FADE522BE6E5.jpeg
    06C01950-73C5-4500-9EEB-FADE522BE6E5.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 179
  • B094B64A-8771-4122-B166-2D4045E66DF6.jpeg
    B094B64A-8771-4122-B166-2D4045E66DF6.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 9136F0BB-0F69-44BF-93DA-A8DCBE8D41B5.jpeg
    9136F0BB-0F69-44BF-93DA-A8DCBE8D41B5.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 177
  • B4E08C36-6AD5-4A77-9AD5-0C612A4A218F.jpeg
    B4E08C36-6AD5-4A77-9AD5-0C612A4A218F.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 177
  • BDDA0AB4-D423-484C-81E5-B621CD396324.jpeg
    BDDA0AB4-D423-484C-81E5-B621CD396324.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 172

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s worse than an amateur hack job.....

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take it back, request that they order a new brake light or put one in if they have on hand and removal of all the unapproved materials. Good on you for getting pictures. If they don’t want to make it right talk to the GM. I’d also run this to @RamCares. Anyone on this forum could’ve done a better job at this. Pathetic.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not overreacting at all. Like @LimitedGRR said this is not the correct fix for this and it should be made right by the dealer. This is why I used the home remedy talked about heavily in the thread below, no leak since.....I don't trust my dealership.

View attachment 60376

3 major storms including blind-out hurricane like conditions in Michigan and she has stayed dry. About 6 inches of rain since installing this fix and not a drop inside. (Knocks on wood panel.....)

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
To the OP...Not that this helps necessarily, but I spoke to my dealership about this same brake light leaking issue and they said there is no warranty fix for it that CDJR will reimburse the dealership for, so the silicone is their only cost-effective option. This is a known issue, but they have no other option, unless you actually have a broken window frame or broken third brake light. Like I said, I know this doesn't fix your issue, but it does let you know this is what the dealerships are doing as a fix. Not sure what exactly needs to be done to get this issue elevated to CDJR warranty level, but I check my back window and headliner after every carwash and every rain, just in case I become one of the statistics having this issue. It definitely sounds like they could have done a better job with the silicone though.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP...Not that this helps necessarily, but I spoke to my dealership about this same brake light leaking issue and they said there is no warranty fix for it that CDJR will reimburse the dealership for, so the silicone is their only cost-effective option. This is a known issue, but they have no other option, unless you actually have a broken window frame or broken third brake light. Like I said, I know this doesn't fix your issue, but it does let you know this is what the dealerships are doing as a fix. Not sure what exactly needs to be done to get this issue elevated to CDJR warranty level, but I check my back window and headliner after every carwash and every rain, just in case I become one of the statistics having this issue. It definitely sounds like they could have done a better job with the silicone though.

That’s a BS answer from your dealer. Several guys had it replaced under warranty. I told my dealer that I replaced the gasket with the Lowe’s option and they said that if that didn’t work that they would replace the light. Even though I messed with it already. You have water in the truck due to a failed seal on a new truck, it is 100000% percent a warranty issue.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
Well here’s the issue with putting silicone on the 3rd brake light. It’s a supposed to be a serviceable part, so what happens when a bulb burns out and your light is essentially glued to your cab? That’s a joke.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
That’s a BS answer from your dealer. Several guys had it replaced under warranty. I told my dealer that I replaced the gasket with the Lowe’s option and they said that if that didn’t work that they would replace the light. Even though I messed with it already. You have water in the truck due to a failed seal on a new truck, it is 100000% percent a warranty issue.

To you and the OP...Not saying I agree with it, just letting you know what my dealer said. Just letting the OP know it is not just his dealership's fix for this issue. I can assure you if this does happen on my truck, I will be pushing for warranty replacement.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like someone else said, I would rather fix ANYTHING I can on my own,..even though it's under warranty, then give it to a dealer. They usually try the cheapest, fastest, short cut to solve an issue, not the CORRECT way. Take it back.

Skater

Reaction score
Also, to spice things up a bit, I just noticed there is silicone on my bed rail. Apparently the idiot couldn’t even clean that up. Here’s some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
That looks like the guy used your bed rail to wipe excess silicone off his finger. That is terrible.

410DelmonicoSport

Reaction score
@Skater sad part is, that’s not the only place it was. That was just the only picture I took of it. There were several silicone marks on the rail.

@OldMarine trust me, I will be fixing this on my own after this silicone issue is resolved. The only reason I took it for that was I also had an intermittent airbag issue.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To you and the OP...Not saying I agree with it, just letting you know what my dealer said. Just letting the OP know it is not just his dealership's fix for this issue. I can assure you if this does happen on my truck, I will be pushing for warranty replacement.

I completely get it. I’m not suggested any wrong doing on your part. Just stating my opinion on the dealer response

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First of all, not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, so please move if I did it wrong. I noticed last week after 2 days of nonstop torrential rains the my headliner was wet, no big deal, I’ll just have them fix it. When I got the call it was ready to go I asked what they did. I was told they resealed my rear window and rechecked it and there were no leaks, ok fine. Today I went out to put my LED bulbs in my brake light, when I noticed black silicone all around my 3rd brake light. Not only did the basically glue my light to the cab, when I pulled it off, all the foam gasket ripped off. Plus, the sealing of my rear window consisted of black silicone being placed under the window, only where accessible with the brake light out. Not to mention the sloppy job they did of applying the silicone. I am extremely pissed that this is how they chose to do this. I even gave them insight to what other people experience with the cracked window or brake light itself. What should I do here?

I just had a chance to respond to your PM on this, @410DelmonicoSport!

PS - Thank you for the tags @LimitedGRR & @z0n3!

Mark
RamCares

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. Hope you can get this resolved for the OP.
This is absolutely terrible work by a RAM ”technician”. FCA should be made aware of hacks like these.

Users who are viewing this thread