5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fobs and LED interference

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
So I put the diode dynamic cargo bulbs in and everything worked perfect for ~2wks. Now I'm having issue again being able to lock door with the door handle button and occasionally getting the "no fob detected" message. Pretty frustrated. You'd expect something this simple should just work like every other vehicle I've had. what gives?
Same thing happened to me with the Diode Dynamic bulbs. Worked perfect then suddenly lost the key fob and door handle button lock. I switched to the updated Lasfit bulbs and so far, so good. I still intermittently get the no key fob error but I've discovered it may have more to do with the keys in my pocket. I've seen in other threads where the Ram fobs don't like other keys and it appears to me true for me. Works fine if I switch the keys to the other pocket.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me with the Diode Dynamic bulbs. Worked perfect then suddenly lost the key fob and door handle button lock. I switched to the updated Lasfit bulbs and so far, so good. I still intermittently get the no key fob error but I've discovered it may have more to do with the keys in my pocket. I've seen in other threads where the Ram fobs don't like other keys and it appears to me true for me. Works fine if I switch the keys to the other pocket.
I'll try taking my keys off the fob.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Press the start button once to acc, then press on brake pedal, then press start button again. Vvvrrooomm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tac63

Reaction score
For what it is or isn't worth. I've tried the lasfit flat, lasfit round, jdm astar brand (use them in other vehicles with great success), and diode dynamics (expensive ones) and all cause issues. All seem to randomly work for a while and they they start causing interference. I would say on average each of them reduced range of fob by at least 50%.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
A week with my "updated" LasFit bulbs and, you guessed it, interference. I'm about to waste too much money on Recon's unit or something. We'll see. I just can't go back to incandescent.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
2 months with the updated lasfit leds for chmsl and not a single issue with keyfob.
I tried 3 different types of leds before that and all created interference.
I also set chmsl to led in tazer dt and that has zero effect.
Very pleased with updated lasfit.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I’m using LUYED from amazon and the only time I get the issue is when i remote start then have to press the start button when I get in and even then is only about 1in3 starts. Regular starts it hasn’t happened yet. Strange I know. I will never put those ugly yellow bulbs back in either, puzzling that RAM would put leds everywhere and the drop that crap into the interior and cmsl

jzinckgra

Reaction score
I’m using LUYED from amazon and the only time I get the issue is when i remote start then have to press the start button when I get in and even then is only about 1in3 starts. Regular starts it hasn’t happened yet. Strange I know. I will never put those ugly yellow bulbs back in either, puzzling that RAM would put leds everywhere and the drop that crap into the interior and cmsl
Even my Ranger had LEDs in the interior

Bob.

Reaction score
I have lasfit interior, dod on 3rd brake light and cargo lights. Something from headlight Revolution for all the tail lights, headlights and dod ss3 fogs.
No issues.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...puzzling that RAM would put leds everywhere and the drop that crap into the interior and cmsl
Gotta save something for the higher trims. Pre-COVID RAM offered a lot of options for the "lower" trim models (those with cloth seats) so there had to be some line drawn in the sand that couldn't be crossed. If you could get air suspension, heated seats, and LED lighting (albeit for a price) then there had to be something that made the Laramie, Longhorn, and Limited special like leather/ventilated seats, LED interior lighting, adaptive cruise control, and the like. I'm not sure where (or how much) the crossover is but my dad's Limited is all LEDs in the interior (except the glove box).

CHSML went LED for MY22. FCA has mapped out the generation so that each year gets some kind of enhancement to attract buyers (including those that have an earlier year of the generation). Folding tow mirrors, MFT, uConnect 5, LED CHSML, and the list goes on. I'm sure plenty of guys would still have there 2019 DT if this wasn't the case instead the 21 or 22 they have now. Every manufacturer does this.

Even my Ranger had LEDs in the interior

My wife's Ranger mid-level XLT has some features that my Big Horn doesn't and, although it's frustrating, there's a lot more I like about my truck than hers.

The biggest irk is the $25/month (or $13/month that the are begging me to come back with) for Guardian which is a complete free service for my wife's Ranger for the life of the vehicle.

1500DFW

Reaction score

Psubnutz

Reaction score
I had the original LasFit and had interference, no key fob found. Then I tried the newer version that everyone is talking about, and the same thing. So I went back to the factory bulbs and no problems. So things just aren't worth the effort and frustration.
With the new bulbs, were you having issues with the whites and the reds? I ordered both and was not having to many issues to start, but now it has become for consistent. I did read somewhere that the red bulb was the one that seemed to be more of the problem causer though. Was just curious.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Here is the red LED bulb that worked for me, bought from Diode Dynamics:

194 HP5 LED Red (single)

SKU: DD0030S

I just use cheap LED white bulbs for the bed lights. As long as the door is not open when you try to start the vehicle, all is well.

The Diode Dynamics bulb is designed to emit very little RF interference.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
With the new bulbs, were you having issues with the whites and the reds? I ordered both and was not having to many issues to start, but now it has become for consistent. I did read somewhere that the red bulb was the one that seemed to be more of the problem causer though. Was just curious.
Problems with both. I took out the reds and it still interfered then took out the white and no interference. Put back in the reds and had interference.

Users who are viewing this thread