5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fobs and LED interference

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Thanks but it states it does not fit a 2020 and it is a tad expensive (over $300 with a discount) so I will just keep the original.

I tried the lasfit LEDs but had the issues.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks but it states it does not fit a 2020 and it is a tad expensive (over $300 with a discount) so I will just keep the original.

I tried the lasfit LEDs but had the issues.

The light itself will fit all 5th gens and function as a brake light just fine. It’s designed to work with the camera and mirror but you don’t have to use it.

CobraKai

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue. definitely began after replacing my 3rd brake light with LasFit led bulbs. Waiting to hear back from the company on a resolution.
Please update us with what Lasfit says. I had the LED flat bulbs in mine since March no problems. I had one bulb "go bad", was dim. SO they replaced that one, new one I put in seems to be causing problems now... I keep getting key fob not detected when im sitting in the from seat with it in my pocket now..

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@MayhemMOORE I emailed diode dynamics about the issues we have with their lights. Said these issues rarely come up but when they do its usually on a RAM.... They offered to either return them or add some ferrite beads to the power wires of the cargo lights. Told them I wasn't interested in adding ferrite beads in my 3rd brake light. Ill return the bulbs and order up the OEM LED 3rd brake light eventually..

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@MayhemMOORE I emailed diode dynamics about the issues we have with their lights. Said these issues rarely come up but when they do its usually on a RAM.... They offered to either return them or add some ferrite beads to the power wires of the cargo lights. Told them I wasn't interested in adding ferrite beads in my 3rd brake light. Ill return the bulbs and order up the OEM LED 3rd brake light eventually..
Thanks for the update, I'll try to remember to email them tomorrow. I'm going to take them out tonight, as nothing has improved and I'm frustrated with not being able to use my passive entry lock button or fob. Since it's been cold lately, I also have to either shut off the cargo light or dig the fob out after I remote start and get in and press the button since it tells me the fob isn't detected.

I may have a wire with a ferrite thing on it around here somewhere. Might be worth the 30 seconds of time to rip it off and try it around the wires just to see if it would even do anything.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I'll try to remember to email them tomorrow. I'm going to take them out tonight, as nothing has improved and I'm frustrated with not being able to use my passive entry lock button or fob. Since it's been cold lately, I also have to either shut off the cargo light or dig the fob out after I remote start and get in and press the button since it tells me the fob isn't detected.

I may have a wire with a ferrite thing on it around here somewhere. Might be worth the 30 seconds of time to rip it off and try it around the wires just to see if it would even do anything.
I would be interested to know if that works for you. I still think its time to just pony up the money and buy the LED 3rd brake light for me.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be interested to know if that works for you. I still think its time to just pony up the money and buy the LED 3rd brake light for me.
I looked where I thought I had a cord that had one on it, but it's not there. Pretty sure I tossed it last weekend when I was cleaning up, that's why it was fresh in my memory. I went ahead and started the return and will end up ordering the oem light soon.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked where I thought I had a cord that had one on it, but it's not there. Pretty sure I tossed it last weekend when I was cleaning up, that's why it was fresh in my memory. I went ahead and started the return and will end up ordering the oem light soon.
I think this time I will wait to hear your feedback on the light hah!

Curious if I will need to get the entire alfaobd setup to change any configs or if I can plug and play that light.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think this time I will wait to hear your feedback on the light hah!

Curious if I will need to get the entire alfaobd setup to change any configs or if I can plug and play that light.
You may need to change the chmsl to LED depending on how the factory lamp is set up. When I get it I'll install it without making the change first and see if it causes any canbus errors. Might be able to get an answer to the question quicker over in this thread, as I know several people have already installed the light.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I messed up and didn't realize it until I was about to drop off the package to ship them back. I had originally paid for them with a gift card I had, and I ended up taking what was left on the card and using it to add to my amazon balance, and then I shredded the card. So I have no way of getting the full card number now without piecing together hundreds of tiny shreds, and if they refunded to it, I'd be out the money. I ordered some ferrite chokes for like $8 and will put the bulbs back in tomorrow and give it a shot. If it doesn't work then I'll post them up for sale on here and finally order the oem light.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I messed up and didn't realize it until I was about to drop off the package to ship them back. I had originally paid for them with a gift card I had, and I ended up taking what was left on the card and using it to add to my amazon balance, and then I shredded the card. So I have no way of getting the full card number now without piecing together hundreds of tiny shreds, and if they refunded to it, I'd be out the money. I ordered some ferrite chokes for like $8 and will put the bulbs back in tomorrow and give it a shot. If it doesn't work then I'll post them up for sale on here and finally order the oem light.
Ah man, that sucks! Hope the ferrite beads work for you. If not I will be waiting to see the OEM light!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah man, that sucks! Hope the ferrite beads work for you. If not I will be waiting to see the OEM light!
Installed the LED's and ferrite chokes yesterday. With some testing in the garage, and a few drives today, so far I haven't had any issues. I put one on each of the positive leads as close to the bulbs as possible for all 3, and then put one more on each of the positive leads on the truck side of the connector. I'll give it a few days and see how it does, since last time the issue didn't seem to really start being continuous until a few days after I installed them. I have some more I can add if needed, but I'm hoping these are enough to limit the effect of the wires acting as an antenna and broadcasting the interference.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the LED's and ferrite chokes yesterday. With some testing in the garage, and a few drives today, so far I haven't had any issues. I put one on each of the positive leads as close to the bulbs as possible for all 3, and then put one more on each of the positive leads on the truck side of the connector. I'll give it a few days and see how it does, since last time the issue didn't seem to really start being continuous until a few days after I installed them. I have some more I can add if needed, but I'm hoping these are enough to limit the effect of the wires acting as an antenna and broadcasting the interference.
It’ll be interesting to see how these do over the next few days. Would be really nice if it stopped the issues. If those solve it I might order a set of lasfit and throw ferrite beads on it and call it good.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any issues with key fob interference or passive entry issues with the ferrite beads?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any issues with key fob interference or passive entry issues with the ferrite beads?

I’ve had a couple instances where I had to hit the outside button twice, and once on a remote start I got the message when I got in. I think the remote start issue was having my phone in my jacket pocket and it was sitting on the fob, cause it hasn’t happened again and I don’t usually have the phone in my pocket like that. Outside the truck, I can say it is vastly improved so far. Before I would have to literally lean on the back door where the antenna is, now I can stand anywhere except with a fully outstretched arm and the fob in the opposite pocket. I will probably pull the light out and see if I can add another choke somewhere, but unless it starts acting up I think I am ok with how it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davets20

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info on this thread. I too was having fob issues in my 21 big horn after installing a cheap LED package I bought online. I put my lights in with in days of buying my truck so I thought there may be wrong with the fob receiver. After searching the issue online and finding this I put the original halogen bulbs back in the cargo light that 100% eliminated the issue. I’ve since bought a set of the lasfit T15’s and have still been issues free for 2 weeks now.

techno96

Reaction score
I switched a Laramie, put in the upgraded (new model) Lasfit bulbs and no issues yet since I put them in a month ago.

JbVt

Reaction score
I’ve had Lasfit cargo and 3rd brake leds in my 2020 ram since day one and don’t have any issues with the fob not detecting. Been in about 9 months now.

kfscoll

Reaction score
Where are you guys ordering the new versions of the Lasfit bulbs from? If I go to their website they say specifically that they don't work with 2021 Ram 1500s (see below).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 3.41.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 3.41.39 PM.png
    249.5 KB · Views: 28

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where are you guys ordering the new versions of the Lasfit bulbs from? If I go to their website they say specifically that they don't work with 2021 Ram 1500s (see below).
I don't think its all 2021 models. It seems to be 2021 Laramie's so far that get key fob interference from these bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread