5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob Not Detected - new LEDs were causing it.

20nightEdition

Reaction score
Same problem with just the Lasfit cargo lamps in the third brake light. Have to manually shut the light off to start truck w fob in pocket. I emailed lasfit so we will see what they say.

Is there a setting in alfaobd does anyone know to change the lamps to led ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply from lasfit: Hello,
Thanks for reaching out.
For this issue, unfortunately there is no solution, do you want to return them? We will offer the return label.

Mango
Best Regards
Lasfit Customer Service

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
This is very strange. I have Lasfit low beams, third brake light and cargo light, as well as interior dome lights front and rear, floor lights, reverse lights. I have had no issues. I have a 2019 lonestar. Is there something different with the push buttons/remote start on lonestar vs Laramie and upper models?
No. I will repeat what I posted earlier in a different response. I have the Lasfit white ones in the cargo position and a red one in the CHMSL position. I have no issues with the limited trim. All other LEDs in my truck are factory. Wondering if adding all the aftermarket ones has put it over some interference limit when high mounted ones are added.

I don't have time to look through all the posts again, but does anyone have just the Lasfit in the cargo and CHMSL and having issues?

Baldd86

Reaction score
No. I will repeat what I posted earlier in a different response. I have the Lasfit white ones in the cargo position and a red one in the CHMSL position. I have no issues with the limited trim. All other LEDs in my truck are factory. Wondering if adding all the aftermarket ones has put it over some interference limit when high mounted ones are added.

I don't have time to look through all the posts again, but does anyone have just the Lasfit in the cargo and CHMSL and having issues?
I only have them there and the vanity light, if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reaction score

I originally installed all 3. I had issues when depressing the brake to start so I replaced the brake bulb back to stock, then starting issue with door closed disappeared. When the cargo lights are illuminated or the door is open, the error shows up which is what I have now since the LasFit LEDs are only in the high cargo lights now. Hope this helps.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I originally installed all 3. I had issues when depressing the brake to start so I replaced the brake bulb back to stock, then starting issue with door closed disappeared. When the cargo lights are illuminated or the door is open, the error shows up which is what I have now since the LasFit LEDs are only in the high cargo lights now. Hope this helps.
So you have the problem with the cargo installed only. I have a DJI drone that I installed some copper foil between the GPS module in the roof and the rest of the electronics. It vastly improved the GPS reliability by insulating the GPS module from EMI from the other drone electronics. I wonder if you could try a similar thing with the CHMSL assembly. Like attaching some copper foil around the backside of the assembly and then installing the whole thing wrapped. Just a thought. But you would have to buy it on Amazon because most people dont have it lying around.

Reaction score
So you have the problem with the cargo installed only. I have a DJI drone that I installed some copper foil between the GPS module in the roof and the rest of the electronics. It vastly improved the GPS reliability by insulating the GPS module from EMI from the other drone electronics. I wonder if you could try a similar thing with the CHMSL assembly. Like attaching some copper foil around the backside of the assembly and then installing the whole thing wrapped. Just a thought. But you would have to buy it on Amazon because most people dont have it lying around.

That's exactly what I thought of doing the other day. Although, I bought 2 jdmastar bulbs that came today. I'm going to try them first and see how it goes. If they fail, I'll try the efi shielding. I may do the efi shielding for both the antenna and the lights anyway though.

Reaction score
UPDATE:
I replaced the 2 Lasfit high Cargo bulbs today with 2 Jdmastar bulbs and the key fob error is gone. Haven't replaced the third brake bulb... It's still stock.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Given the higher end Rams are pretty much all LED, there must have been a reason they didn’t do it for third brake light and cargo lights. I was going to switch mine over to LED, but I’ll pass and stick with the stock setup.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Given the higher end Rams are pretty much all LED, there must have been a reason they didn’t do it for third brake light and cargo lights. I was going to switch mine over to LED, but I’ll pass and stick with the stock setup.
So they can save a few bucks per unit and then issue it as an improvement after the first round. It's coming out in the 2021 trucks but not on all models. You'll have to option for it (I think it's going to be in the higher Equipment Level packages for the non-elite trucks (Big Horn, Rebel, etc.) and you can get a cargo camera in it too.

It's the same reason that the power folding mirrors aren't available until 2021. Why make everything available right out of the gate when people will buy the new generation regardless. Every few years you dish out more good stuff (uConnect 5, LED CHSML, etc.) to keep 'em buying or trade up to get the new stuff...or pay through the nose to buy the new stuff to retro-fit it onto your truck.

B.Ras

Reaction score

I understand. I was just stating I have the Lasfit bulbs in my CHMSL and cargo as well. (2 white, 1 red)

Baldd86

Reaction score
So the last couple of days the issue has not presented itself, I hope it fixed itself.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
So the last couple of days the issue has not presented itself, I hope it fixed itself.

Just an FYI, I noticed intermittently if I have credit card(s)/door access cards in my pocket with the FOB, sometimes I can't lock or unlock the passenger door using the keyless entry/exit. If I take the FOB out of my pocket when this happens, it works as expected.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I noticed intermittently if I have credit card(s)/door access cards in my pocket with the FOB, sometimes I can't lock or unlock the passenger door using the keyless entry/exit. If I take the FOB out of my pocket when this happens, it works as expected.
I never thought of that. My fob is always in my pocket either by itself or with my house keys.

It is never next to anything electronic or magnetic. I wonder if that's a contributing factor?

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I never thought of that. My fob is always in my pocket either by itself or with my house keys.

It is never next to anything electronic or magnetic. I wonder if that's a contributing factor?
Yes I never thought of it either until it started happening and I was like "what is different about this situation". Then I realized I had the cards in my pocket for convenience. My driver's license, one chipped credit card, and a door access card. So when I couldn't lock the passenger door (I always go around to the passenger side when arriving at work to get my lunch cooler and backpack out of the passenger side front) I took the cards out and it worked.

But here's the stupid part. It has been working fine for the last week or two with the same cards in the pocket with the FOB. So who knows.

BigHornStorm

Reaction score
Now that you mention this issue with Lasfit. I installed mine yesterday and had the same issue. I thought it was because I was trying to lock from inside my garage. I will test today but that’s odd it would interfere.

Before and after is such a major difference though.

BigHornStorm
2020 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4WD

View attachment 67191
View attachment 67192

Rapper

Reaction score
I did the exact same thing today. Will see how things go. Everything else is amazing!

Baldd86

Reaction score
Welp, my key fob was not detected today, taking off the leds tomorrow morning.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I had installed Lasfit LED in both cargo lights and high mount brake light and the next day I got the Key not detected. I put back the original bulb in the brake light and all is well now. So its Cargo LED only for me now.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I had installed Lasfit LED in both cargo lights and high mount brake light and the next day I got the Key not detected. I put back the original bulb in the brake light and all is well now. So its Cargo LED only for me now.
WTF is going on with these lights and key FOBs? Some of us, like me, installed the LASFITs in all 3 places and have zero issues. Others like you, find it is the brake light that puts it over the edge. Do we have different FOBs? I know I have the Limited trim and my key has the limited logo on it along with 6 buttons: Lock, Unlock, Power Tailgate Release, Air Suspension Lower, Remote Start, and Panic. Maybe the electronics within the FOB and the vehicle are different enough to where some with more features work and some with less features don't. Grasping at straws here. There has to be some explanation, no one knows what it is fully as far as I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread