5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob Not Detected - new LEDs were causing it.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DD is an American company and even make some products in the U.S. You get also get real customer service, not some moron on a translator. Beamteach and JDM are hardly what I would consider namebrand, and I'd be hesitant to use either for a headlight. I put a Beamtech in for projector foglights in my wife's Pacifica, and the output is mediocre... but it's just a foglight, so I don't care. Mostly for looks.
Jdm is based out of Cali, I can't remember where Beamtech is. But I've used the same set of led Beamtech headlights in my last truck for 2 years without an issue. Very good light output (with halogen reflectors) no offense meant...but you sound like a Diode Dynamics salesman lol.

Ramjeep

Reaction score
I had this issue with Lasfit too. I will just wait and see if we can upgrade to the 2021 style (hopefully ) it works. I do have the cargo Lasfit’s with no issues.

TVANVA

Reaction score
Didn't want to start a debate, just reporting my experience, so other forum members could potentially fix things if they are seeing the same problem.

I bought the first third brake light LED replacement using recommendations/links off this forum in 2019, and pretty quickly started seeing the starting problem.

Despite a lot of foul language every time I had to unhook the seat belt and fish my key fob out of my pocket to press, or at least come very close to the Start button, the problem never got any better. This continued over a year's time.

Despite the sticker shock over the price of the Diode Dynamics LEDs, my frustration was to the point where I would have spend double or triple that price if it just fixed the problem.

I'm sort of big on scientific method, so I made sure that the change to the DD LED was the only thing I did. Zero problems since then.

Note - All my other incandescent to LED replacements are various JDM lamps including the two bed lamps right next to the third brake light lamp, but I'm thinking that they aren't on at start time.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jdm is based out of Cali, I can't remember where Beamtech is. But I've used the same set of led Beamtech headlights in my last truck for 2 years without an issue. Very good light output (with halogen reflectors) no offense meant...but you sound like a Diode Dynamics salesman lol.
I've only used a few DD LEDs in the past, most of them have not been. You can buy whatever you want for most bulbs, but for important stuff (headlights, brake) I wouldn't cheap out. That's not to say DD has the best stuff either. I just tried DD's SL1 for headlights in my wife's Pacifica. They had a lot of good info on YouTube about them, and they do seem very well designed, but the brightness wasn't any better than halogen. Went with GTR Lighting Ultra 2 instead, which seem to be the best on the market. Those bulbs are $200 a pair, but if they beat everything else on the market, they are worth it IMO.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've only used a few DD LEDs in the past, most of them have not been. You can buy whatever you want for most bulbs, but for important stuff (headlights, brake) I wouldn't cheap out. That's not to say DD has the best stuff either. I just tried DD's SL1 for headlights in my wife's Pacifica. They had a lot of good info on YouTube about them, and they do seem very well designed, but the brightness wasn't any better than halogen. Went with GTR Lighting Ultra 2 instead, which seem to be the best on the market. Those bulbs are $200 a pair, but if they beat everything else on the market, they are worth it IMO.
I'll take your word for it lol. I know there's a few cheap/low quality brands out there for sure, but some would surprise you.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's always good deals out there. It doesn't have to be the most expensive to be good.

On the flipside even the best can have some issues. It just happens a lot less.

Reaction score
I'm new here and this post is what brought my attention to this forum. Every light on my Laramie is LED except for the high cargo and 3rd brake light. I thought this was odd so I replaced them with LasFit not knowing about this issue. Immediately after installing and hitting the brake to start, my radio went black and reset. I thought it was just the system adjusting. On the next restart and every one that followed I got the "Key fob not detected" error. Today I swapped out the 3rd brake light bulb to the original and the problem is gone (kept the LasFit white cargo bulbs in). So I didn't have a single problem with the original brake light bulb in so I decided to try starting the truck with the door open (cargo lights lighted) and immediately got the key fob error message. As I shut the door, the truck started right up. So to summarize, LasFit LEDs cause this issue.
I'm going to look into the DD or JDMastar bulbs. Any further suggestions other than what's been posted here? I hate throwing money away to only have the same issue again.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm new here and this post is what brought my attention to this forum. Every light on my Laramie is LED except for the high cargo and 3rd brake light. I thought this was odd so I replaced them with LasFit not knowing about this issue. Immediately after installing and hitting the brake to start, my radio went black and reset. I thought it was just the system adjusting. On the next restart and every one that followed I got the "Key fob not detected" error. Today I swapped out the 3rd brake light bulb to the original and the problem is gone (kept the LasFit white cargo bulbs in). So I didn't have a single problem with the original brake light bulb in so I decided to try starting the truck with the door open (cargo lights lighted) and immediately got the key fob error message. As I shut the door, the truck started right up. So to summarize, LasFit LEDs cause this issue.
I'm going to look into the DD or JDMastar bulbs. Any further suggestions other than what's been posted here? I hate throwing money away to only have the same issue again.
I'm sure you'll have to swap out the bulbs. The only LEDs I've had good results with that don't cost a arm and leg are JDMAstar and BeamTech. Although...with BeamTech I've only used their LED Headlights...which are really nice.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LasFit LEDs cause this issue.
Sorry to hear about that. My truck is almost all LASFIT (CHSML and interior) and I don't have any issues. My dad's Limited has LASFIT in the CHSML without issues either which is what surprises me about your situation.

I do have some cheap chinese knock-offs in my vanity and you can tell the quality difference (and they are polarity sensitive).

If I had issues with my LASFIT I would give Diode Dynamics a try. Another company that does everything in-house and in the USA. Just my opinion.

Lots of budget choices out there that people have had success with.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I also have changed out the CHMSL and cargo lights with the LASFIT LED ones. No issues.

Baldd86

Reaction score
Just installed Lasfit Leds this week. Hope it goes well for me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sapper13

Reaction score
Just installed Lasfit cargo lights and third brake light on my 2020 eco diesel two days ago and I’m starting to have key fob issues. I have Lastfit head lights, fog lights, brake lights, and reverse lights. Didn’t have issues until now that I installed the cargo lights and brake lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20nightEdition

Reaction score
Same problem with just the Lasfit cargo lamps in the third brake light. Have to manually shut the light off to start truck w fob in pocket. I emailed lasfit so we will see what they say.

Is there a setting in alfaobd does anyone know to change the lamps to led ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldd86

Reaction score
Just had my fob not connect, I added Leds last week and did not drive my truck until today. I turn the headlight knob to manual and the truck started.

B.Ras

Reaction score
This is very strange. I have Lasfit low beams, third brake light and cargo light, as well as interior dome lights front and rear, floor lights, reverse lights. I have had no issues. I have a 2019 lonestar. Is there something different with the push buttons/remote start on lonestar vs Laramie and upper models?

Baldd86

Reaction score
I added leds on the cargo/third brake and vanity. I do have a Laramie.

Users who are viewing this thread