5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's for emissions, not sure how that works, but from what I understand they are carbon filled, designed to suck up hydrocarbons that enter your intake when shut off. On other vehicles, like Lexus, they are replaceable, on the RAM they are not.

But before you cut the plastic rivets to remove it, probably a good idea to remove the whole box section first, cut the filter out. This way you ensure no foreign material makes it to the engine.
I was able to push the plastic rivets out without cutting it
That's a good question. Piggy-backing on that, has anyone who removed theirs observed any staining on the air filter? I know I didn't on my last Ram. Which now makes me wonder - If Ram thinks that carbon filter is necessary on a regular Ram, why didn't they craft one for the GT's Ram-Air?
The Ram Air intake is a high airflow intake. You can't expect it filter as strong as the regular intake.

Also not sure how you could expect to get "staining on the air filter"
It's literally filtering outside air...

I noticed an increase in mpg removing mine, or my truck just happened to break in at the exact moment I removed it.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I removed mine. Just used a large soldering gun to melt the plastic rivets and it came right now.

genrev6640

Reaction score
Manny convinced me to send it back - I popped it out this morning before starting it up and put the factory one back in - I was mostly interested in having a filter that was washable/reusable - but that oiling and worrying about not enough or too much concerned me as well, so I'll just use the paper...

After looking at all of the Chatter and large particles. It sounds like people here wore their masks all the time during the pandemic. Of course your choice. Or NOT, depending upon if you wanted to fly or work or by food. But any hoo. I just saw a "big diaper" on the top side of my air cleaner. I'm from CA, and that's what's restricting air flow. It's there for CARB and also keeps me from getting a CAI like I had on my Trailhawk. I don't see how any "LARGE PARTICLES" are going to get through that thing plus your "K&N". I need more air flow. And K&N are going to do it, unless there is a decent dry filter out there, but I'm used to K&N. I heard the arguments before I saw the video..."good video", but out of context for my application, maybe shock bait.
I'll order today and see what happens when I drive it. I checked the stock filter. It was a mopar maid in mexico. felt heavy.
Not a fan of buying something and then removing it when smog check time comes. Oh...and I don't want to remove the Diaper. probably more headaches. If I was going to do that, I'd might as well buy the AFE CAI and do the deed.
Interesting takes on stuff. I guess when you are over 60 spending near 60K on a vehicle you are a little more conservative, but "Large Particles" I guess.
Peace
Bill
p.s.
Looking for K&N Air filters is like trying to pull cat's hind teeth on this forum.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After looking at all of the Chatter and large particles. It sounds like people here wore their masks all the time during the pandemic. Of course your choice. Or NOT, depending upon if you wanted to fly or work or by food. But any hoo. I just saw a "big diaper" on the top side of my air cleaner. I'm from CA, and that's what's restricting air flow. It's there for CARB and also keeps me from getting a CAI like I had on my Trailhawk. I don't see how any "LARGE PARTICLES" are going to get through that thing plus your "K&N". I need more air flow. And K&N are going to do it, unless there is a decent dry filter out there, but I'm used to K&N. I heard the arguments before I saw the video..."good video", but out of context for my application, maybe shock bait.
I'll order today and see what happens when I drive it. I checked the stock filter. It was a mopar maid in mexico. felt heavy.
Not a fan of buying something and then removing it when smog check time comes. Oh...and I don't want to remove the Diaper. probably more headaches. If I was going to do that, I'd might as well buy the AFE CAI and do the deed.
Interesting takes on stuff. I guess when you are over 60 spending near 60K on a vehicle you are a little more conservative, but "Large Particles" I guess.
Peace
Bill
p.s.
Looking for K&N Air filters is like trying to pull cat's hind teeth on this forum.

There are carb legal intakes, but no one's going to inspect your truck until it's 8 years old for the 1st smog test.

And then it's every other year, you potentially can put an intake on that's not carb legal, leave it there until 8 model years later, switch out to OEM, then switch back every couple of years.

Assuming you plan to keep your truck that long.

I had a non-carb compliant intake on my car, and it was never mentioned once by the smog guy, worst case scenario is they pointed out and you have to switch it out before they give you certificate.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Peace
Bill
p.s.

Searching "K&N Air filters" on any forum is fraught with issue.

Use google site search. "K&N Air Filters site:5thgenrams.com"

You'll find all the same posts telling you how bad they are - they truly are sh*tty at filtering air.

1722494682061.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Searching "K&N Air filters" on any forum is fraught with issue.

Use google site search. "K&N Air Filters site:5thgenrams.com"

You'll find all the same posts telling you how bad they are - they truly are sh*tty at filtering air.

View attachment 187247
Are they really though? Other than people who over oil them and cause issues with sensors, has any K&N filter destroyed an engine? Just the filter itself mind you.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are they really though? Other than people who over oil them and cause issues with sensors, has any K&N filter destroyed an engine? Just the filter itself mind you.

1722534990492.png

1722535018206.png

Might as well knock all the material off a sheet of sandpaper into your intake.

Seriously, K&N filters like a screen door.

azzx

Reaction score
It is hot in the PHX area and I have nothing to do, so, I will contribute to this thread!!
My stats with K&N: ( I am not affiliated or get any sweet deals from K&N).
1- Years of using K&N air filters: 42
2- Total number of sports bikes with K&N: 28 ( includes 1 Hyabusa, 4 ZX14Rs, 1 ZX12R, 1 R1, 3 GSXR 1000s, 2 FZ1s, V-Stroms, Bandit 1200, etc. etc. and many more)
3- Total number of dirt bikes: 8
4- Total number of SXS: 3
5- Total number of cars: 8
6- total number of trucks including my 2019 RAM/Hemi: 8 (Hemi had 37,000miles before it was totaled)
7- Vehicles with the highest mileage with K&N air filter with no issues: (Honda Ridgeline 142,000 miles, MX5 Miata with 65.xxx miles, rest had an avg. of 45.xxx miles)
* Bikes had an average of 8000 miles, Cars had an average 50.xxx miles, trucks had an average of 40.xxx miles) before I sold/replaced them.
No issues - I exceeded the maintenance schedule on all.

I have seen/read the reports, some truth about **** going through.
My only issue with K&N: On my 5.4 expedition, I did overoiled it and it did kill the MAF. User error.
with a total of over 50 vehicles, can I tell or notice any performance gains? None!!
It is just a lot easier to clean and reuse.
the only vehicle that I did dyno post install of K&N air charger was my Ford Expedition. (it also had the Gibson catback and performance chip). It gained 14HP - probably from the catback and the chip!

So, my 8 cents (adjusted for inflation) -- if you are after "performance gains" the gains are negligible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread