5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's for emissions, not sure how that works, but from what I understand they are carbon filled, designed to suck up hydrocarbons that enter your intake when shut off. On other vehicles, like Lexus, they are replaceable, on the RAM they are not.

But before you cut the plastic rivets to remove it, probably a good idea to remove the whole box section first, cut the filter out. This way you ensure no foreign material makes it to the engine.
I was able to push the plastic rivets out without cutting it
That's a good question. Piggy-backing on that, has anyone who removed theirs observed any staining on the air filter? I know I didn't on my last Ram. Which now makes me wonder - If Ram thinks that carbon filter is necessary on a regular Ram, why didn't they craft one for the GT's Ram-Air?
The Ram Air intake is a high airflow intake. You can't expect it filter as strong as the regular intake.

Also not sure how you could expect to get "staining on the air filter"
It's literally filtering outside air...

I noticed an increase in mpg removing mine, or my truck just happened to break in at the exact moment I removed it.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I removed mine. Just used a large soldering gun to melt the plastic rivets and it came right now.

Users who are viewing this thread