5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Heavens no, I'm not worried about fuel mileage most of the time! I want more flow and quicker response.... vapors be damned :ROFLMAO:
Then just ditch the stock intake all together

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Then just ditch the stock intake all together
Agreed. For now I am very satisfied with the RamAir intake my GT has, don't think Ill be changing that in the near future. I am toying with the thought of removing or disabling the AGS though. Seems to contradict the point of having the RamAir...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. For now I am very satisfied with the RamAir intake my GT has, don't think Ill be changing that in the near future. I am toying with the thought of removing or disabling the AGS though. Seems to contradict the point of having the RamAir...
The grill shutters don't cover the entire grill though, and when they are closed, the engine is sipping air anyways, so not a big deal

HemiDude

Reaction score
The grill shutters don't cover the entire grill though, and when they are closed, the engine is sipping air anyways, so not a big deal
Yeah, I just wonder sometimes if the "benefit" of the AGS is real to a guy like me. The 1 or 2 mpg it might gain, on long road trips, is one thing, but on 75% of my drives fuel efficiency is furthest from my mind. I drive my truck more aggressively than some I suppose, shoulda kept the Challenger 🙄

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I just wonder sometimes if the "benefit" of the AGS is real to a guy like me. The 1 or 2 mpg it might gain, on long road trips, is one thing, but on 75% of my drives fuel efficiency is furthest from my mind. I drive my truck more aggressively than some I suppose, shoulda kept the Challenger 🙄
I too drive aggressively.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you remove that stupid white built in filter if you have it. I removed mine and gained 2 MPG somehow. It was like a post filter riveted in with plastic rivets to my airbox.

What's the deal with that white filter anyway? I had never seen that before until this truck. It says "do not service" but there is no way in hell that it would stay good for the life of the truck, especially on gravel roads where I live. I took it out and threw it away. I don't understand the purpose of a permanent filter on an airbox that already has a great disposable filter.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What's the deal with that white filter anyway? I had never seen that before until this truck. It says "do not service" but there is no way in hell that it would stay good for the life of the truck, especially on gravel roads where I live. I took it out and threw it away. I don't understand the purpose of a permanent filter on an airbox that already has a great disposable filter.

It's for emissions, not sure how that works, but from what I understand they are carbon filled, designed to suck up hydrocarbons that enter your intake when shut off. On other vehicles, like Lexus, they are replaceable, on the RAM they are not.

But before you cut the plastic rivets to remove it, probably a good idea to remove the whole box section first, cut the filter out. This way you ensure no foreign material makes it to the engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a carbon filter for emissions. I highly doubt anyone who removes it gains any performance or MPG. I removed mine before I got the Vararam. You can see light though it's and I was able to blow through it with little restriction.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's a carbon filter for emissions. I highly doubt anyone who removes it gains any performance or MPG. I removed mine before I got the Vararam. You can see light though it's and I was able to blow through it with little restriction.

I would be worried about it falling apart and into my engine. I haven't looked at it yet, does it seem to be sturdy? Either way, I plan on removing mine sooner or later.

It's technically a smog item, even living in California, my truck won't need it's first smog test until it's 8 years old and only then it's an OBD connection test, takes about 7 minutes. They don't check factory air boxes either.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
got a picture of where it is located

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I took my carbon “emissions” filter out. It’s not needed

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious if the carbon filter was added for emissions, has anyone had their truck tested to see if it passes emissions testing without the filter?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
got a picture of where it is located
If you still have the stock air filter housing just remove the cover and flip it upside down. It's plastic welded/riveted to the underside of the cover. You can pop it out with a small screwdriver

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Just curious if the carbon filter was added for emissions, has anyone had their truck tested to see if it passes emissions testing without the filter?
I'd imagine it will still pass an emissions test. People remove the entire stock air cleaner housing to install cold air intakes

SD Rebel

Reaction score

It won't be until 2027 before I have to do my first smog test in California on this truck, but I already know it will pass if I remove it.

The carbon filter is only a passive system, designed to pick-up left over fumes that may get passed from the engine when turned off. It's just a carbon filter, it has zero bearing during actual operations. It won't set off an engine light.

In terms of visual inspection, if California doesn't inspect factory air box elements, I doubt Arizona does. And as Rlaf75 mentioned, plenty of people put whole aftermarket intakes that pass emissions that circumvent the OEM system.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd also like to know if the carbon filter is really for emissions, why haven't I seen it on GM V8s, Toyota V8s, Ford V8s, etc?

HemiDude

Reaction score
I'd also like to know if the carbon filter is really for emissions, why haven't I seen it on GM V8s, Toyota V8s, Ford V8s, etc?
That's a good question. Piggy-backing on that, has anyone who removed theirs observed any staining on the air filter? I know I didn't on my last Ram. Which now makes me wonder - If Ram thinks that carbon filter is necessary on a regular Ram, why didn't they craft one for the GT's Ram-Air?

kzielu

Reaction score
Not sure about F-150s but 2022 Mustangs (which fundamentally use one of the engines that F-150s use with different heads/cams/intake) do have a carbon filter added that people remove - they also are rated 10hp lower than previous years with no other changes and people claim removing filter gives them that 10hp back (which I personally doubt but ok). It seems like adding that filter is becoming a common thing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good question. Piggy-backing on that, has anyone who removed theirs observed any staining on the air filter? I know I didn't on my last Ram. Which now makes me wonder - If Ram thinks that carbon filter is necessary on a regular Ram, why didn't they craft one for the GT's Ram-Air?
GT us a lower volume trim level that doesn't hurt the emissions ratings for entire line up

Users who are viewing this thread