5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N or SB Filters cold air intake

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same here, but technically there is the IAT sensor on the intake you have to remove which is electrically connected. But I've done a lot of things on my vehicles that I probably should have unhooked battery. Like in my Dakota, I reset the PCM by just pulling one of the PCM connectors and don't touch the battery. Never had an issue and I've done it at least 100 times.
Oh man, if one has the technical ability to install a CAI, you shouldn't have to disconnect the battery just to unplug the IAT :ROFLMAO:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, if one has the technical ability to install a CAI, you shouldn't have to disconnect the battery just to unplug the IAT :ROFLMAO:
The instructions tell you to unhook battery. Up to the installer in their comfort level to not follow directions.

HemiDude

Reaction score
The instructions tell you to unhook battery. Up to the installer in their comfort level to not follow directions.
I know, I know, not saying the battery shouldn't be disconnected, just so much CYA found in installation and assembly instructions of everything. Heck, I assembled a 10'x12' metal Pergola on my deck last year, and I kid you not, the instructions specifically stated that the pergola should be taken down if there was going to be wind or snow! It took me 2 days to put it up, with a large mixture of swearing and tin-snipping, so it isn't coming back down!

Edited to include pergola instructions :LOL:
784FE094-7FE7-4557-B357-EA6CFAC42A18.jpeg

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Lol, that's the first I've heard of someone installing one just for looks. But, whatever makes you happy.

S&B is in. It holds gears a bit longer and doesn't hesitate on acceleration. To me that's in increase in performance because it drives better. I could care less if it's a measurable hp increase.

If you take the plug out, you'll get that deeper growl. But with it in, it sounds the same.

Well the “ I installed a part so performance must have increased” affect seems to work well with you then.

Because the intake and the things you’re experiencing have zero correlation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lol, that's the first I've heard of someone installing one just for looks. But, whatever makes you happy.

S&B is in. It holds gears a bit longer and doesn't hesitate on acceleration. To me that's in increase in performance because it drives better. I could care less if it's a measurable hp increase.

If you take the plug out, you'll get that deeper growl. But with it in, it sounds the same.
Why not install one just for looks? That's why people add all sorts of things to their vehicles. Wheels, tires, body kits, graphics, etc. It wasn't the only reason I installed one, but you can't tell me this doesn't look good...

Ramair intake 1.jpg

Booch

Reaction score
Why not install one just for looks? That's why people add all sorts of things to their vehicles. Wheels, tires, body kits, graphics, etc. It wasn't the only reason I installed one, but you can't tell me this doesn't look good...

View attachment 130641
It does look good, I never said it didn't. When I said "whatever makes you happy", I meant it. My lift/tires/wheels are a lot of $$$ for looks.

But when some snickers at my post about these air intakes improving performance, and then proceeds to say they installed one purely for looks, it's a little puzzling.

I am curious though, what were your other reasons for installing one?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Looks. Because they provide no real performance gain or fuel saving benefit on a stock engine truck.

You gain a slight amount of hp at wot near redline, but not enough to notice. And how often are you redlining your truck.

And HSKR hit the nail on the head as to why most people think they got a bump in performance.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It does look good, I never said it didn't. When I said "whatever makes you happy", I meant it. My lift/tires/wheels are a lot of $$$ for looks.

But when some snickers at my post about these air intakes improving performance, and then proceeds to say they installed one purely for looks, it's a little puzzling.

Mainly to open up space in the engine bay where the stock air box lives. I'm planning to source a better inverter, and now I have plenty of space for mounting it. I just need to find the right one. That project is on hold for now, but I hope to get to it before winter.

Booch

Reaction score
You gain a slight amount of hp at wot near redline, but not enough to notice. And how often are you redlining your truck.

So... there IS a performance increase? Sorry, couldn't resist. You served that one up.

Florida RAM

Reaction score

The issue is, and I have seen this on BMW, Jeep, and F150 forums...that people actually believe that a K&N filter, or a CAI, or some other cheap bolt-on product improves HP or 0-60 or top speed or whatever. They believe the marketing. Not just believe it, but die on the hill defending it. The BMW guys are crazy about that stuff. But nobody ever goes and actually measures the difference. Nobody puts in a CAI then goes to the dyno to check it out. It's always "yeah, I can feel a difference in acceleration...."

I really doesn't matter. Do whatever you want to your truck. I am strongly considering a Vararam only because it looks awesome.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 130641

I don't see anything. Where exactly is this good looking thing?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
So... there IS a performance increase? Sorry, couldn't resist. You served that one up.

Based on what the cai manufactures tell you. Which naturally they would since they want to sell you their product.

Your stock box flows more than enough air for the engine. So much, that companies who make super chargers generally keep the stock airbox.

If performance is what you’re after, take the $400 and put it towards a tune.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Based on what the cai manufactures tell you. Which naturally they would since they want to sell you their product.

Your stock box flows more than enough air for the engine. So much, that companies who make super chargers generally keep the stock airbox.

Dinan makes some awesome performance products for BMW. They have different levels of packages that you can get installed. Those top level Dinan BMWs are freaking amazing. Surprised there isn't a dedicated Ram performance company like that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

How exactly does one keep the stock airbox and intake tube with a supercharger?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is, and I have seen this on BMW, Jeep, and F150 forums...that people actually believe that a K&N filter, or a CAI, or some other cheap bolt-on product improves HP or 0-60 or top speed or whatever. They believe the marketing. Not just believe it, but die on the hill defending it. The BMW guys are crazy about that stuff. But nobody ever goes and actually measures the difference. Nobody puts in a CAI then goes to the dyno to check it out. It's always "yeah, I can feel a difference in acceleration...."

I really doesn't matter. Do whatever you want to your truck. I am strongly considering a Vararam only because it looks awesome.
Dynos are good for comparisons, but unless the Dyno runs were on the same day, or with the same weather conditions it really doesn't mean much. Especially if it's only a 5-10hp difference as that is within normal variance from run to run on a Dyno. HP sells parts. The numbers that really matter, for those wanting a performance difference, would be acceleration numbers, and/or fuel mileage difference. I have proven on my truck that the Vararam does in fact show an increase in performance with 0-60 times.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
How exactly does one keep the stock airbox and intake tube with a supercharger?

13088062e6e72193f79ff7730a413285.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right, but when talking about airflow with the stock intake and whether or not aftermarket intakes make a difference, you have to factor in the entire factory intake, not just a single part of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/