5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N or SB Filters cold air intake

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Can't speak on the HP gains, but I did drop time on my 0-60 after installing .y Vararam
Have you had it dyno'd? Vararam claims an "up to" 30hp increase (which in advertising lingo means anywhere from .1 to 30hp). Would be interested in factual data to support their claim. How did you measure your 0-60 time? Vararam advertises only a half a second improvement on the 0-60 time. You would need some pretty accurate timing devices to reliably measure that minute of a difference.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you had it dyno'd? Vararam claims an "up to" 30hp increase (which in advertising lingo means anywhere from .1 to 30hp). Would be interested in factual data to support their claim. How did you measure your 0-60 time? Vararam advertises only a half a second improvement on the 0-60 time. You would need some pretty accurate timing devices to reliably measure that minute of a difference.
TazerDT has 0-30 and 0-60 timers. Same road, same day. 3 tenths improvement. Did three runs stock and averaged the times, and three runs after the install and averaged the times.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From moes performance.

Will you ever notice that little bit of time change and hp gain in a big truck where you’re rarely at wot and readline? I certainly didn’t.

03f8c44f51437f12d933c3a1ec068fe0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida RAM

Reaction score
TazerDT has 0-30 and 0-60 timers. Same road, same day. 3 tenths improvement. Did three runs stock and averaged the times, and three runs after the install and averaged the times.
Yep, that's what Vararam advertises. Would be very interested in a dyno to see if it indeed improved HP by 30.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
From moes performance.

Will you ever notice that little bit of time change and hp gain in a big truck where you’re rarely at wot and readline? I certainly didn’t.

03f8c44f51437f12d933c3a1ec068fe0.jpg

No, you will not. That's a 3% improvement from the stock to the Vararam. Unless you are a professional racer I highly doubt anyone will ever notice a "seat of the pants" 3% increase in speed.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What these CAI vendors do is look at the math, not real world. You can fairly accurately extrapolate HP from air flow since engines are just big air pumps. Approx 1 lb/min airflow = 10 hp.

So on a spreadsheet a new intake may be capable of moving 3 lb/min more than stock. But the air pump that is your stock engine will never actually need or be able to move that much more additional volume.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What these CAI vendors do is look at the math, not real world. You can fairly accurately extrapolate HP from air flow since engines are just big air pumps. Approx 1 lb/min airflow = 10 hp.

So on a spreadsheet a new intake may be capable of moving 3 lb/min more than stock. But the air pump that is your stock engine will never actually need or be able to move that much more additional volume.
That's not how they determine the HP gains, but good thought

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, you will not. That's a 3% improvement from the stock to the Vararam. Unless you are a professional racer I highly doubt anyone will ever notice a "seat of the pants" 3% increase in speed.
I agree. I noticed no real SOTP improvement with the Vararam, but the 0-60 times don't lie

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I've owned BMWs, Jeeps, F150s and now Rams. On all their forums (I've been around a while) there are always numerous discussions of CAIs...and I can't recall anyone every verifying actual HP improvements. The guys that get them always claim they notice a difference, but nobody ever puts their money where their mouth is and actually get a dyno to prove it. Veraram claims an up to 30hp gain. That is quite a bold statement. Can anyone verify it?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned BMWs, Jeeps, F150s and now Rams. On all their forums (I've been around a while) there are always numerous discussions of CAIs...and I can't recall anyone every verifying actual HP improvements. The guys that get them always claim they notice a difference, but nobody ever puts their money where their mouth is and actually get a dyno to prove it. Veraram claims an up to 30hp gain. That is quite a bold statement. Can anyone verify it?
Moe's performance did, but then again, they are also a vendor for Vararam, so they have a reason to "support" the claims to make sales.

I have verified 0-60 improvement from the install, which if you do the math to convert to HP, it's about right.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Moe's performance did, but then again, they are also a vendor for Vararam, so they have a reason to "support" the claims to make sales.

I have verified 0-60 improvement from the install, which if you do the math to convert to HP, it's about right.
If Veraram's claims are correct, I'd be interested. Not because I care about half a second increase in 0-60 time, but because it looks awesome and 425hp sounds way cooler than 395.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If Veraram's claims are correct, I'd be interested. Not because I care about half a second increase in 0-60 time, but because it looks awesome and 425hp sounds way cooler than 395.
Well, I wouldn't go around quoting a HP number for your truck without a Dyno run. But I'm my experience, it did make an improvement in performance. I just used a different metric to measure performance. Dyno runs are good for bench racing, but actually putting the power to the ground and seeing an improvement in acceleration is where it counts

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't go around quoting a HP number for your truck without a Dyno run. But I'm my experience, it did make an improvement in performance. I just used a different metric to measure performance. Dyno runs are good for bench racing, but actually putting the power to the ground and seeing an improvement in acceleration is where it counts
By the way, what is your new 0-60 time?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
By the way, what is your new 0-60 time?
This was the day after install. Now that I have lift and 34" tires, not going to get close to that again

Attachments

• PXL_20201117_214808210.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201117_214808210.MP.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 38

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This was stock with Borla ATAK

Attachments

• PXL_20201116_220602349.jpg
    PXL_20201116_220602349.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 35

Florida RAM

Reaction score
This was stock with Borla ATAK
Man, a sub-7 second 0-60 is really good for a full sized truck. That's about what a BMW 3-series runs. My old M3 wasn't much faster than that.

Last edited:

Booch

Reaction score
Lol no they don’t.

It’s the ole “I did a mod so performance must have increased” effect.

I have the s&b. Notice absolutely nothing over stock.

Your stock intake is non restrictive and pulls cold air. It just looks ugly is why I changed it.

Lol, that's the first I've heard of someone installing one just for looks. But, whatever makes you happy.

S&B is in. It holds gears a bit longer and doesn't hesitate on acceleration. To me that's in increase in performance because it drives better. I could care less if it's a measurable hp increase.

If you take the plug out, you'll get that deeper growl. But with it in, it sounds the same.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, that's the first I've heard of someone installing one just for looks. But, whatever makes you happy.

S&B is in. It holds gears a bit longer and doesn't hesitate on acceleration. To me that's in increase in performance because it drives better. I could care less if it's a measurable hp increase.

If you take the plug out, you'll get that deeper growl. But with it in, it sounds the same.
Swapping intakes won't make the transmission hold gears longer. If you followed instructions and disconnected the battery during install, then the holding gears longer and less hesitation has more to do with resetting the PCM than adding the intake itself. Could have gotten the same feel by just resetting the PCM and keeping stock intake on. I think this is why most people feel they get improvements. Give it a week or two of your normal driving and the truck will be right back where it was before the intake was out on

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Swapping intakes won't make the transmission hold gears longer. If you followed instructions and disconnected the battery during install, then the holding gears longer and less hesitation has more to do with resetting the PCM than adding the intake itself. Could have gotten the same feel by just resetting the PCM and keeping stock intake on. I think this is why most people feel they get improvements. Give it a week or two of your normal driving and the truck will be right back where it was before the intake was out on
I know people do it, but I've never disconnected my battery to do anything that wasn't electrically related, unless the battery was in the way. To your point, I used to reset the PCM on my Challenger if it went any length of time under "normal" driving conditions... then drove it like I stole it. Always put a smile on my face 😁

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know people do it, but I've never disconnected my battery to do anything that wasn't electrically related, unless the battery was in the way. To your point, I used to reset the PCM on my Challenger if it went any length of time under "normal" driving conditions... then drove it like I stole it. Always put a smile on my face 😁
Same here, but technically there is the IAT sensor on the intake you have to remove which is electrically connected. But I've done a lot of things on my vehicles that I probably should have unhooked battery. Like in my Dakota, I reset the PCM by just pulling one of the PCM connectors and don't touch the battery. Never had an issue and I've done it at least 100 times.

Users who are viewing this thread