5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N or SB Filters cold air intake

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the s&b installed on my truck have used them in previous diesel builds craftsmanship and quality is super high . Beware of the air grabber intakes not sure what climate you live in but if you drive in snow at all it will fill your with snow and will run like crap when it sucks in water. Search google images and you will see the snow packed o those suckers. If you live in a snow free environment and don’t plan on driving through it then the grabber intake is the way to go
This is just a bad scare tactic. I have the Vararam in my 5th gen and drive it year round and we get snow and rain. Not once has there ever been a problem with either one. I can drive 1 hour through a snow storm, pop the hood, and no snow built up around the intake. Also, drive throughs thunderstorm, pop the hood and it's dry

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the s&b installed on my truck have used them in previous diesel builds craftsmanship and quality is super high . Beware of the air grabber intakes not sure what climate you live in but if you drive in snow at all it will fill your with snow and will run like crap when it sucks in water. Search google images and you will see the snow packed o those suckers. If you live in a snow free environment and don’t plan on driving through it then the grabber intake is the way to go
I can't speak to the Vararam, but I had zero issues with my Ram Air intake since installing it last winter. I took the cover off a few times just to make sure, and it was always dry inside. No signs of any moisture at all. We had an average amount of snow and rain for around here. You'd have to shove the front end of the truck into a snow drift tall enough, at speed, in order for snow to get into the intake. It ain't happenin' capt'n.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any updates on the s and b intakes? I have a 2022 hemi 2wd I’m interested in getting one. Main concern is how it works as far as power and mpg. I’ve had intakes on many cars just want to know everyone’s reviews

Noticed zero difference with my s&b power or mpg. Like most cold air intakes. Buy it if you want it to look pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak to the Vararam, but I had zero issues with my Ram Air intake since installing it last winter. I took the cover off a few times just to make sure, and it was always dry inside. No signs of any moisture at all. We had an average amount of snow and rain for around here. You'd have to shove the front end of the truck into a snow drift tall enough, at speed, in order for snow to get into the intake. It ain't happenin' capt'n.
No snow got to the Vararam I take this night

Attachments

• PXL_20210126_021131211.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20210126_021131211.MP~2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 39

Ram2488

Reaction score
I ordered the s and b based on them having a great track record on multiple applications. not to mention 150 reviews between s and b website and American truck. general positive and they have some of the best filters. I’m sure it will gain horse power but not sure about mpg on stock tune. It’s here at my house. I’m waiting to get my leather installed at the dealer then putting it on my truck so they done know lol.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Unless you have an exhaust. Then to don’t even gain any noticeable sound.

Booch

Reaction score
Unless you have an exhaust. Then to don’t even gain any noticeable sound.

Yes, they absolutely do. I've had K&Ns on 3 Hemi trucks (5.7 and 6.4). Noticeable sound as well as throttle response improvement and slightly better mpgs.

I have an S&B to install tomorrow morning. I went with it for a change, hopefully I'm as happy with it as I have been with the K&N.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Lol no they don’t.

It’s the ole “I did a mod so performance must have increased” effect.

I have the s&b. Notice absolutely nothing over stock.

Your stock intake is non restrictive and pulls cold air. It just looks ugly is why I changed it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, they absolutely do. I've had K&Ns on 3 Hemi trucks (5.7 and 6.4). Noticeable sound as well as throttle response improvement and slightly better mpgs.

I have an S&B to install tomorrow morning. I went with it for a change, hopefully I'm as happy with it as I have been with the K&N.
You'll need a pedal controller to see improved throttle response. An intake won't provide that on a throttle by wire application, especially one that already has a well flowing intake from the factory. You can have a change in intake sound with an aftermarket intake. Factory intakes are designed to remove undesirable noises you get from pulling air into the engine. I personally don't care for increased sounds you get from a "ram" style cai. If you like it, more power to you. But any performance upgrades you think you're getting are just from the butt dyno effect.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I've had an S&B on a 2016 Silverado. Nice air sucking sound, made for really good behind the firewall V8 sound. I have a borla S type now so no way i'd be able to hear it when accelerating hard. Does look good though.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Why do people still believe a CAI will improve performance by itself? That's pretty much been debunked on every car forum. CAI is for looks, not performance.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Because people will forever believe performance can be had cheaply.

Yep. Since every manufacturer is competing to have the most powerful and fuel efficient vehicle on the market, you would think engineers would drop in these CAIs right from the factory if they actually worked.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Yep. Since every manufacturer is competing to have the most powerful and fuel efficient vehicle on the market, you would think engineers would drop in these CAIs right from the factory if they actually worked.
Well, don't pretty much all cars nowadays have cold air intakes? Just they have air boxes or more intricate flow to reduce noise. Aftermarket cold air intake is just deleting the airbox and replacing with straight intake pipe. Makes more noise but air flow should be the same.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Well, don't pretty much all cars nowadays have cold air intakes? Just they have air boxes or more intricate flow to reduce noise. Aftermarket cold air intake is just deleting the airbox and replacing with straight intake pipe. Makes more noise but air flow should be the same.
Just saying that replacing your airbox will not make a significant difference. If it did it would likely come from the factory like that. I do like that Vararam thing...just looks awesome. Claims a 30hp increase...yeah, right.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why do people still believe a CAI will improve performance by itself? That's pretty much been debunked on every car forum. CAI is for looks, not performance.
Same people that think an CAI that advertises 15 hp and an exhaust that advertises 20hp mean they have 35 more HP than they did stock.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just saying that replacing your airbox will not make a significant difference. If it did it would likely come from the factory like that. I do like that Vararam thing...just looks awesome. Claims a 30hp increase...yeah, right.
Can't speak on the HP gains, but I did drop time on my 0-60 after installing .y Vararam

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Engineers have to deal with EPA regulations, and catering to the average buyer who wants a quiet vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread