5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

K&N or SB Filters cold air intake

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I have seen the Sticky about the Mopar Ram Air, but has anyone looked into the K&N kit or the Kit by SB Filters? I used to run a K&N on my Toyota Tacoma and liked it.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See:

ironman8282

Reaction score
I have the s&b installed on my truck have used them in previous diesel builds craftsmanship and quality is super high . Beware of the air grabber intakes not sure what climate you live in but if you drive in snow at all it will fill your with snow and will run like crap when it sucks in water. Search google images and you will see the snow packed o those suckers. If you live in a snow free environment and don’t plan on driving through it then the grabber intake is the way to go

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
yeah, we get enough snow that scared me away. I used to have that issue with my K&N setup on my Tacoma. You notice any change in fuel economy with your S&B? I read one review where they said there MPG dropped a lot. Reached out to another member who has an S&B and he didn't have that issue at all.

ironman8282

Reaction score
yeah, we get enough snow that scared me away. I used to have that issue with my K&N setup on my Tacoma. You notice any change in fuel economy with your S&B? I read one review where they said there MPG dropped a lot. Reached out to another member who has an S&B and he didn't have that issue at all.
I didn’t notice any drop in mpg with mine if anything maybe .1 or .2 better.

Mhorton814

Reaction score
Like my S&B, might put the box plug in for winter. Haven’t decided.

Attachments

• D577776D-B972-45BA-9B9A-11FD17AB65FE.jpeg
    D577776D-B972-45BA-9B9A-11FD17AB65FE.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 310

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^^ For the winter to come. I’d say l have plug out of air box on s&b intake system. It’s cold enough, should make a deference.

Mhorton814

Reaction score
Maybe I’ll leave it out. I have it out currently, don’t think my climate is hot or dusty enough to have it in

Rong

Reaction score
I installed an S&B cold air intake today. Looks great, added a little more rumble, will wait and see if any noticeable differences on a power or mpg. Install instructions said the leave the negative terminal disconnected for at least 2 hours, install took about an hour. After hooking battery back up and firing up the engine I had lost my cameras, satellite radio, and passenger air controls. I drove for about an hour then remote started it and got in and camera, air controls and radio were all back to normal. Idk if the remote start had anything to do with it or just the time passing, but don’t panic if you install and lose some of these functions, they do come back.

corn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I installed my S&B and had the same issues. I figured it would come back after a while. I had an issue about a month ago where my back up camera was out in the morning. Thankfully it came back on at lunch.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had both through the years just returned a Yukon XL off lease that I ran a S&B on for 3 years, but choose to go with K&N on my Ram.. cant go wrong either way imo.

Attachments

• 20210112_145436.jpg
    20210112_145436.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 179

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
S&B for me. Went drop in, Vararam, back to stock, and now S&B. Very good quality and enclosed air box. Looks great, have yet to see a difference in MPG as it is winter, remote start, and 4WD with the snow. Lets see 1-2 months down the road.

Ram2488

Reaction score
Any updates on the s and b intakes? I have a 2022 hemi 2wd I’m interested in getting one. Main concern is how it works as far as power and mpg. I’ve had intakes on many cars just want to know everyone’s reviews

Users who are viewing this thread