5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just pulled the trigger on a set of Toyo open country AT 3 285/55/R22 (updated w/ pics)

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Ive put a few hundred miles on these and wanted to give an update. There is a bit of an MPG hit, but hard to define how much (1-2mpg?) since we're in winter fuel now. They are slightly louder than stock on the highway, but nowhere near as loud as I was fearing (ANY sounds drive me crazy). While they are the same width, they appear to look much wider. I put the air suspension in aero and made some sharp turns to determine where the rubbing was coming from. It was the far forward and rear, inner piece of wheel well liners. Its really thin, so heating it up with a heat gun was quick. Aside from this, theres been no rubbing on stock air suspension with no level kit.

They definitely make the truck feel more planted on the road. When going into the Rockies, we used to sway a lot on the hairpin turns. This was helped by a helwig sway bar, but I'd argue the tires did more to stop the swaying than the bar did.

With the Tazer DT, the speedo is now dead nuts (also has a few other neat options to play with).

Morenar

Reaction score
Looks great. I have been very pleased so far with my AT3’s in both rain and a few inches of snow. I went back and forth between getting them or the terra grapplers again which I’d had 3 sets of with no issues. Went with the AT3’s for the 3 peak rating in anticipation of some boarding trips in the Rockies. Not that I had any issues with the terra’s, but it can’t hurt and I wanted to change it up.
@MayhemMOORE Do you have pics of the 285/55/22 on your night edition rims? I have the same rims and want to see how they look.

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive put a few hundred miles on these and wanted to give an update. There is a bit of an MPG hit, but hard to define how much (1-2mpg?) since we're in winter fuel now. They are slightly louder than stock on the highway, but nowhere near as loud as I was fearing (ANY sounds drive me crazy). While they are the same width, they appear to look much wider. I put the air suspension in aero and made some sharp turns to determine where the rubbing was coming from. It was the far forward and rear, inner piece of wheel well liners. Its really thin, so heating it up with a heat gun was quick. Aside from this, theres been no rubbing on stock air suspension with no level kit.

They definitely make the truck feel more planted on the road. When going into the Rockies, we used to sway a lot on the hairpin turns. This was helped by a helwig sway bar, but I'd argue the tires did more to stop the swaying than the bar did.

With the Tazer DT, the speedo is now dead nuts (also has a few other neat options to play with).
This makes me wonder if 35/12.5r22 will fit our Air Ride trucks with only minor fender well mods( heating or trimming)? Height is the same for both tires but width is

Makes me wonder if 35/12.5r22 will work on our Air Ride trucks with out modifying anything, just minor trimming or heating. Height is the same on both tires but width is just over 3/4” wider. What do you guys think?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@MayhemMOORE Do you have pics of the 285/55/22 on your night edition rims? I have the same rims and want to see how they look.

@Morenar Let me know if you want a better side shot of both wheels, this is just what I happened to have on the phone.
c4621998f6c5e57cb96619f81eef4f3d.jpg

05fe8d54e810db78182170a11a39a1b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morenar

Reaction score
@Morenar Let me know if you want a better side shot of both wheels, this is just what I happened to have on the phone.

That's perfect. No rubbing issues? And the ride with these tires is not horrible? I was thinking of going with the same size but Nitto Ridge Grappler and a readylift 3.5 SST

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's perfect. No rubbing issues? And the ride with the readylift and these tires is not horrible? I was thinking of going with the same size but Nitto Ridge Grappler
Had a slight rub at full right lock when backing up, but it was a simple fix. It was just barely touching the liner on the inside front of the driver's side along the frame rail. 30 seconds with a heat gun and it's been fine since. I've just got 2" spacers right now, but even with the e-rated tires and factory shocks, I still think it rides great. I usually keep them at about 38 PSI unless I air up for towing.

Morenar

Reaction score
Had a slight rub at full right lock when backing up, but it was a simple fix. It was just barely touching the liner on the inside front of the driver's side along the frame rail. 30 seconds with a heat gun and it's been fine since. I've just got 2" spacers right now, but even with the e-rated tires and factory shocks, I still think it rides great. I usually keep them at about 38 PSI unless I air up for towing.
Another question, I read here https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/alfaobd-tire-size-change-instructions.26620/#post-418162 that you were able to use the AlphODB to change the speed calibration on the 2021 with parksense? Is that right? any issues?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another question, I read here https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/alfaobd-tire-size-change-instructions.26620/#post-418162 that you were able to use the AlphODB to change the speed calibration on the 2021 with parksense? Is that right? any issues?

After some trial and error I was able to get the speed dialed in and dead-on with gps up to 75mph (as high as I tested) and have no issues with parksense. The key was to measure the actual height of the tire on the truck then figure the circumference from there. On my truck, anything over 2710mm caused errors, but I ended up somewhere around 2670 if I recall without looking it up. Fwiw, the Toyo’s actually measure out as a 34” tire on the dot, and that seems to be within the limits of parksense.

HMC8403

Reaction score
3B3C9BE2-0B91-4EAE-9C4C-558E4AC76F95.jpeg 625E5210-ABC2-4118-AE01-BFD8F3184B1E.jpeg
I got mine installed today, 285/55/r22. Only drove 18 mile so haven't experienced any rub yet; will put in aero tomorrow and test it out. Now time to look for black lugs and a set of locks.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 93411 View attachment 93412
I got mine installed today, 285/55/r22. Only drove 18 mile so haven't experienced any rub yet; will put in aero tomorrow and test it out. Now time to look for black lugs and a set of locks.

Looks good. Check out the gorilla lugs. They’ve got kind of a satin/matte finish that looks great against the factory painted wheels. Plus each one is a “lock”.

21Longhorn

Reaction score
Good choice! 285/55R22 look perfect on our trucks! No complaints at all with the AT3
3f98bac8f7e9d4b2489f0843cba05439.jpg

Your truck looks Great !! it looks like you still have a little rake even with the 2" motofab spacers and thats what I'm looking for, I like a little rake, I do not want the rear of the truck to sag, any issues with the Motofab spacers? I'm looking at that same combination of tire and leveling kit.

HMC8403

Reaction score
Looks good. Check out the gorilla lugs. They’ve got kind of a satin/matte finish that looks great against the factory painted wheels. Plus each one is a “lock”.

Which model number that includes a lock? I heard that when the paint scratches off they rust badly; lots of road salt in Chicago.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which model number that includes a lock? I heard that when the paint scratches off they rust badly; lots of road salt in Chicago.

These are the ones I went with. Put them on in early January and they’ve been to CO in the snow as well as several storms here in KS, plus I’ve rotated the tires once since getting them. So far they seem to be holding up just fine. I just make sure the key is on correctly before I hit them with the impact and haven’t had any issues.

Gorilla Automotive 96644BDX Black Factory Style Wheel Lock System (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size, 24-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2ABJM...abc_PZ3PR25413AKV6FMW2HE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

pjz

Reaction score
Any chance someone with the 285/55s could post a true tire height sitting on the truck? I know there are lots of variables that impact that, but just trying to get an idea of how it will compare to my current 295/75/18s. Looking to maybe go back to the 22s with larger tires. Thanks!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any chance someone with the 285/55s could post a true tire height sitting on the truck? I know there are lots of variables that impact that, but just trying to get an idea of how it will compare to my current 295/75/18s. Looking to maybe go back to the 22s with larger tires. Thanks!
When I put them on and was dialing in the speedometer I did just this. The driver's side rear tire, with the weight of the truck on it, was exactly 34" from the ground to a level placed across the tread.

pjz

Reaction score
When I put them on and was dialing in the speedometer I did just this. The driver's side rear tire, with the weight of the truck on it, was exactly 34" from the ground to a level placed across the tread.

Thanks @MayhemMOORE! Sounds like the perfect height.

kjaminet22

Reaction score

Really like them. How would you describe the ride compared to stock? How much of a drop in MPG did you see at 70 MPH?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Really like them. How would you describe the ride compared to stock? How much of a drop in MPG did you see at 70 MPH?
Those are very heavy tires. They’re going to drop mpg by 2-3 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread