5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just pulled the trigger on a set of Toyo open country AT 3 285/55/R22 (updated w/ pics)

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Ive been debating on what tires and what size to buy since I bought my truck. Finally decided on the Toyo AT 3 as they'll be a good tire for winter driving in the Colorado Rockies. I know I'll need to do some trimming on the wheel well liner, but no biggie. Ive seen other trucks on here with various sizes, but the 285/55R22 looked best to me. Ill post pics when they arrive in about a week.

Updated with pics. Just had them installed and they look great! Some rubbing, but will work through that this weekend. Sorry for the dirty pics; we got some snow yesterday.

Attachments

• 20210127_164454.jpg
    20210127_164454.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,717
  • 20210127_165642.jpg
    20210127_165642.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,689
Last edited:

Texas_Ram

Reaction score
Ive been debating on what tires and what size to buy since I bought my truck. Finally decided on the Toyo AT 3 as they'll be a good tire for winter driving in the Colorado Rockies. I know I'll need to do some trimming on the wheel well liner, but no biggie. Ive seen other trucks on here with various sizes, but the 285/55R22 looked best to me. Ill post pics when they arrive in about a week.

Good choice! 285/55R22 look perfect on our trucks! No complaints at all with the AT3
3f98bac8f7e9d4b2489f0843cba05439.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas_Ram

Reaction score
Looks great! Im guessing you did a bit of trimming? Did you need a level?
No trimming, it rubs a little corner of liner, if wheels in full lock reversing in to a parking spot, so I just don’t full lock wheel when in reverse. I have 2” motofab level on mine.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No trimming, it rubs a little corner of liner, if wheels in full lock reversing in to a parking spot, so I just don’t full lock wheel when in reverse. I have 2” motofab level on mine.

I have the same size and same leveling kit on mine. Only spot I had any rub was the inside front corner of the driver side fender liner right above the frame at full lock in reverse. Quick treatment with the heat gun and it’s been smooth since then.

Texas_Ram

Reaction score
I have the same size and same leveling kit on mine. Only spot I had any rub was the inside front corner of the driver side fender liner right above the frame at full lock in reverse. Quick treatment with the heat gun and it’s been smooth since then.

That’s exactly where mine does it, but I haven’t gotten around to fixing it yet. Hasn’t happened much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Updated original post with pics.

Looks great. I have been very pleased so far with my AT3’s in both rain and a few inches of snow. I went back and forth between getting them or the terra grapplers again which I’d had 3 sets of with no issues. Went with the AT3’s for the 3 peak rating in anticipation of some boarding trips in the Rockies. Not that I had any issues with the terra’s, but it can’t hurt and I wanted to change it up.

jaydoc1975

Reaction score

Updated with pics. Just had them installed and they look great! Some rubbing, but will work through that this weekend. Sorry for the dirty pics; we got some snow yesterday.
First off, they look great! Did you have to add a level kit or are you running stock air ride suspension?

MilehighRam

Reaction score
First off, they look great! Did you have to add a level kit or are you running stock air ride suspension?
Stock air suspension right now. Ill trim/heat anywhere there's rubbing and add a 2" level if necissary, but I doubt i'll need it.

Carlos Ramirez

Reaction score

Looks great! Did you have to add anything to your air ride? I need tires right now but I do not want to add links to my air ride at all..

2019 Limited w/ 22s.
Thanks.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Looks great! Did you have to add anything to your air ride? I need tires right now but I do not want to add links to my air ride at all..

2019 Limited w/ 22s.
Thanks.
Didnt have to add anything. Took a heat gun into the garage for about 10 mins yesterday and got all rubbing to go away; didnt have to trim anything. I put it in aero, and made sharp turns in forward and reverse until all rubbing was gone. So glad I went with the 285/55/22...I debated that for almost a year. Ride is a bit stiffer, but I actually like it; truck feels much more planted when taking turns.

osomajor

Reaction score
Awesome look. What was the impact on your speedometer and MPG?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Ramguy90

Reaction score
I’m actually interested in doing something like this! I want to keep my stock 22’s on my 2020 Ram Sport but ditch the stock tires in favor of some all terrains. These Toyo 285/55/22’s have that look I want!

If I get a Rough Country 2inch level would I still experience rubbing? I don’t have air suspension. I’m also wondering the same thing as osomajor

apineta

Reaction score

Truck looks great. I’m about to do the same thing same tires so have some questions. From what I can tell we have plenty of height just width would be an issue but Tire is only about 2in taller same width as stock. Sorry for asking so many questions but this is how we figure all of this out with some real world experience. 1) where and which air level did you get rubbing? 2) how much of the soft ride was impacted with the heavier LT tires? 3) what was speedo impact and did you adjust? 4) confirming you are stock air suspension?

Appreciate the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread