5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got back from dealer for first oil change and alignment check. Opinions?

Rlandon

Reaction score
Coupon from my local dealership for only 5 qts. WTH!! I'll do it myself for that price! This is from their site.

Attachments

• Oil Change.jpg
    Oil Change.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 48

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I thought
Coupon from my local dealership for only 5 qts. WTH!! I'll do it myself for that price! This is from their site.

I thought $100 from my local dealer was a crazy, though that's including a tire rotation so it isn't terrible.

But that price leads me to believe it's a mistake.

Jako

Reaction score
just had my first oil change done the part number for the oil was 68523001-aa service guy had no idea if it was synthetic
I went through the same for my 2nd oil change. No mention of the oil used just a number that I had to look up and found it was conventional.

Gipraw

Reaction score
You will find different answers. I did my first at about 3600 miles. Here is a link to many posts on oil changes. Be aware many have had difficulty removing the filter on the first oil change. I opted for the dealer to avoid that problem and the mechanic did say it was difficult to remove.

Thanks for the link. I’m not overly worried about removing the filter. I’ve got a lift in my shop, so that always makes it easier. I have a trip to take next end of next week, which is about 1,500 miles. I am -landing on changing the oil when I am back, which will put me right around 2k. Sounds like that should be ok.

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I’m not overly worried about removing the filter. I’ve got a lift in my shop, so that always makes it easier. I have a trip to take next end of next week, which is about 1,500 miles. I am -landing on changing the oil when I am back, which will put me right around 2k. Sounds like that should be ok.
Sounds like you are proficient or you are Tim the Toolman Taylor. :)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am still debating on using PUP or AMSOIL Signature for my first oil change. I always change when it is warm as well. Makes things easier, even on the lift.

What mileage did you all do your first oil change?
Like Ramjack I always do the first oil change at around 1000 miles on a new vehicle. Unnecessary for sure but I prefer knowing exactly what oil I'm running in my engine.

You can't go wrong with either of those oils. PUP is more readily available for me so that's what I use.

Gipraw

Reaction score
Sounds like you are proficient or you are Tim the Toolman Taylor. :)

lol. Just lucky enough to have a shop with some room. Shut down my detailing/restoration business last year, but kept the shop for personal use.

Like Ramjack I always do the first oil change at around 1000 miles on a new vehicle. Unnecessary for sure but I prefer knowing exactly what oil I'm running in my engine.

You can't go wrong with either of those oils. PUP is more readily available for me so that's what I use.

Thanks. This is my first Ram, so first time with a new FCA engine. Hadn’t seen much talk about a 500 mile break in change. 2k should be fine.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To my knowledge, dealerships do not generally stock Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

When they refer to a “premium full synthetic“, odds are that means Pennzoil Platinum.
I have a feeling you're right. Knowing how people in general are, the price of PUP might scare them away permanently.

As an aside, I checked Walmart and my nearby AutoZone yesterday. Neither had any blend of PUP.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052719 miles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a feeling you're right. Knowing how people in general are, the price of PUP might scare them away permanently.

As an aside, I checked Walmart and my nearby AutoZone yesterday. Neither had any blend of PUP.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052719 miles.
I’m seeing $24.97 for a 5-qt container with free next day delivery at Walmart.com. Same price at Amazon with free delivery by Wednesday.

U

User_3336

Dealers oil change package here is $100 for 3 oil changes FULL SYNTHETIC. Of course only
for 5 qts, but the dealer never charges for the extra, since this is sold as a "package".

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my first oil change done at my local dealer and asked for full synthetic. The service advisor said synthetic blend was what was recommended. Told him no, wanted full synthetic, and asked if the “Premium Synthetic“ on the Mopar coupon was for Pennzoil Platinum. He had to call someone, and all I got out of that was it was Pennzoil full synthetic. I also asked them to check the alignment as this truck drifts way more than my 2016 Bighorn ever did, and it goes either way depending on the road.

So, 1) I only ended up paying $37.78 for this. If that is truly for Pennzoil Platinum, I will take it there all the time. is it possible to tell on the oil manufacturer from the part number? I looked it up, and it just shows Full Synthetic.

Re the alignment, it seemed the same to me, but I had to get to work, so couldn’t test it really well. Has anyone else noticed drifting? I have the original 20” Bridgestones, and Lane Sense set on medium (service writer originally said it was probably due to lane sense. That didn’t make sense to me). View attachment 97838
Any issue these trucks have they blame on something that has nothing to do with the issue. They blamed that for tires wearing and a severe vibration. Jokes on them as I always had it turned off except for one highway trip, so don’t give me that BS. If the lane keep system is causing all these issues, maybe they should be recalled and stop putting them on these vehicles ASAP🤷🏻‍♂️ Im so tired off all the lies and games. I love the new ram, hate the issues and hate dealing with ram and their dealers😩 Back to GM or Toyota for me next time!

U

User_3336

That must be a mistake.
it's not a mistake! The coupon isn't necessarily for a HEMI that takes 7 qts. there are other FCA vehicles that only take 5, so there is an upcharge for anything over 5. If you get the "X" oil changes for "$XXX" the coupon says the same thing, but when its bought as a "package", sometimes the dealer doesn't charge for the extra 2 quarts.

Ramjack

Reaction score
it's not a mistake! The coupon isn't necessarily for a HEMI that takes 7 qts. there are other FCA vehicles that only take 5, so there is an upcharge for anything over 5. If you get the "X" oil changes for "$XXX" the coupon says the same thing, but when its bought as a "package", sometimes the dealer doesn't charge for the extra 2 quarts.
I'm referring the the price of $245 for a single oil change. That must be a mistake. Or is the coupon for multiple oil changes?

redneck

Reaction score
Any issue these trucks have they blame on something that has nothing to do with the issue. They blamed that for tires wearing and a severe vibration. Jokes on them as I always had it turned off except for one highway trip, so don’t give me that BS. If the lane keep system is causing all these issues, maybe they should be recalled and stop putting them on these vehicles ASAP🤷🏻‍♂️ Im so tired off all the lies and games. I love the new ram, hate the issues and hate dealing with ram and their dealers😩 Back to GM or Toyota for me next time!
im def going back with gmc on the next truck rams warranty is a joke. must take pictures of everything & get it pre approved i guess they dont trust the dealers to make decisions. i never had this crap with my gmc. & funny its the same dealer as my ram but treated much different & always got a loaner at gmc the ram dealer doesnt even have a shuttle bus or loaners .

Rlandon

Reaction score
I'm referring the the price of $245 for a single oil change. That must be a mistake. Or is the coupon for multiple oil changes?
I read that as for a "single" oil change. I was there today for parts and meant to ask about it but forgot. I ordered the passenger door cup holder and got the console on delivered. They had to reorder the correct one. I'll ask when I go back.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
Think the service dept. is trying to play me.. I have a 7yr 70k maintenance plan that was given to me free of charge bc of the delay of my order for my truck. Basically oil changes are free up to $65. I went for my first change today and requested full synthetic. I must have said it like 3 times. After I get the receipt it doesn’t say synthetic so I ask advisor and he assures me it was.. so I leave and then look up part number and I can’t find it in the online catalogue. Wtf
100EC82F-7AC2-4C58-97BA-39F0CEEBDE2F.jpeg

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think the service dept. is trying to play me.. I have a 7yr 70k maintenance plan that was given to me free of charge bc of the delay of my order for my truck. Basically oil changes are free up to $65. I went for my first change today and requested full synthetic. I must have said it like 3 times. After I get the receipt it doesn’t say synthetic so I ask advisor and he assures me it was.. so I leave and then look up part number and I can’t find it in the online catalogue. Wtf
View attachment 99354
Looks like you got basic Pennzoil...this is right out of MOPAR's chemical catalog.

1625887207173.png

sessman

Reaction score
So nobody knows was Pennzoil level part # 68523971AA is?

Got my first oil change at 1800 miles today and that is what's written on my invoice with the description "5W20 SYNTHETIC OIL" next to it.

I told them I wanted fully synthetic.

Users who are viewing this thread