5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got back from dealer for first oil change and alignment check. Opinions?

Appyfan

Reaction score
I had my first oil change done at my local dealer and asked for full synthetic. The service advisor said synthetic blend was what was recommended. Told him no, wanted full synthetic, and asked if the “Premium Synthetic“ on the Mopar coupon was for Pennzoil Platinum. He had to call someone, and all I got out of that was it was Pennzoil full synthetic. I also asked them to check the alignment as this truck drifts way more than my 2016 Bighorn ever did, and it goes either way depending on the road.

So, 1) I only ended up paying $37.78 for this. If that is truly for Pennzoil Platinum, I will take it there all the time. is it possible to tell on the oil manufacturer from the part number? I looked it up, and it just shows Full Synthetic.

Re the alignment, it seemed the same to me, but I had to get to work, so couldn’t test it really well. Has anyone else noticed drifting? I have the original 20” Bridgestones, and Lane Sense set on medium (service writer originally said it was probably due to lane sense. That didn’t make sense to me). image.jpg

Ramjack

Reaction score
Why did they give you a discount of $40.65 ? (Oh, the coupon?) Are you able to turn off Lane Sense entirely (when you have a chance) to see if it makes a difference?

834k3r

Reaction score
I have the OEM tires, no lane sense, and I can literally take both hands off the wheel for about 10-15 seconds on the highway and it will track straight.

My dealership gave me an oil change for free when I bought the truck. I will take advantage of that next week, but plan on doing my own oil changes in the future for the oil quality concerns you mention. It'll be a pain, but at lease I control what filter and oil is used.

U

User_3336

OIL. 5W20 SYNTHETIC.​

Part Number: 68523971AA

This is a MOPAR part number for the oil. I have a cross reference chart (somewhere) for the Pennzoil sku's. I'll see if I can find it.
I had to ask specifically, like you, if the synthetic oil was Pennzoil Platinum. She showed me. It was 7 quart bottles. It obviously was a kit.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the OEM tires, no lane sense, and I can literally take both hands off the wheel for about 10-15 seconds on the highway and it will track straight.

My dealership gave me an oil change for free when I bought the truck. I will take advantage of that next week, but plan on doing my own oil changes in the future for the oil quality concerns you mention. It'll be a pain, but at lease I control what filter and oil is used.

Pretty much why I do my own oil changes, so I actually know what is going in there. Pretty easy on this truck honestly, leave the oil cap on tight during the initial drain, and the oil doesn't splash much on the sway bar. Takes a few seconds to wipe clean afterwards.

For the oil filter, just use two 1-gallon zip lock bags. Slip on the first bag for after you crack the filter, keep loosening and get the initial oil out. Remove the first bag and slip on the 2nd bag and finish removing the oil filter. Won't spill a drop.

U

User_3336

The SKU in this cross reference does not correspond to the SKU on your service invoice.
They probably did not use Pennzoil Platinum. this does show by the QUART/gallon however. As I mentioned I purchased the "care package", which was 7 individual quarts.

oilpkg1.jpg oilpkg2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_3336

Pretty much why I do my own oil changes, so I actually know what is going in there. Pretty easy on this truck honestly, leave the oil cap on tight during the initial drain, and the oil doesn't splash much on the sway bar. Takes a few seconds to wipe clean afterwards.

For the oil filter, just use two 1-gallon zip lock bags. Slip on the first bag for after you crack the filter, keep loosening and get the initial oil out. Remove the first bag and slip on the 2nd bag and finish removing the oil filter. Won't spill a drop.
Getting the oil filter for the first time is a ROYAL BI%CH!

Appyfan

Reaction score
Why did they give you a discount of $40.65 ? (Oh, the coupon?) Are you able to turn off Lane Sense entirely (when you have a chance) to see if it makes a difference?
Yes, the discount was due to the coupon, but I’m not sure which one, LOL. I showed them 3 different ones from the Mopar app.

Re the lane sense, I could not find a way to turn it off before, just change the intensity. I just found the button (when all else fails, read the manual LOL) to shut it off. I’m going to try all that when I get out of work.

Appyfan

Reaction score

Thank you. That’s the way my 2016 was. I’d have to hit a pothole or something for that truck to move.

Re the oil changes, I needed to get my truck into the local dealer for something, since I bought it out of state. I didn’t want to have to go in there the first time if I had a warranty issue without giving them some kind of business (I did try to work with them on a sale, but I wanted a Limited or Longhorn with a 6’4 bed that wasn’t completely loaded and the salesman I worked with didn’t seem interested in doing an out of state dealer trade).

Appyfan

Reaction score
The SKU in this cross reference does not correspond to the SKU on your service invoice.
They probably did not use Pennzoil Platinum. this does show by the QUART/gallon however. As I mentioned I purchased the "care package", which was 7 individual quarts.

View attachment 97840 View attachment 97841
Thank you. I kinda figured it was too good to be true for that price. Where are those screen shots from?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 21 Limited likes to try to ditch me too.
May need to have it checked.

U

User_3336

Thank you. I kinda figured it was too good to be true for that price. Where are those screen shots from?
Its from a "dealer toolkit" I ran into online. When I showed it to the selling dealer, he already knew where I got it.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pennzoil makes a Premium Full Synthetic and an Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic (PUP).

The CDJR dealers around here have 500 gallon tanks of semi-synthetic oil that is specifically blended for CDJR vehicles by an oil supplier in Buffalo, NY. My neighbor, who is a Ford tech, said his dealership has the same arrangement. These are used for the free oil changes and those who don't specify. The full synthetics of various manufacturers are on the shelf in the parts department. I always ask for Pennzoil "premium," but in the future I'll check to see what that is. I have a feeling I've not been getting the PUP.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052717 miles.

Ramjack

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I have the Essential Care Platinum Synthetic plan and had my first oil change less than a month ago. The part #'s on my invoice are the same as yours.

Jako

Reaction score
Pennzoil makes a Premium Full Synthetic and an Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic (PUP).

The CDJR dealers around here have 500 gallon tanks of semi-synthetic oil that is specifically blended for CDJR vehicles by an oil supplier in Buffalo, NY. My neighbor, who is a Ford tech, said his dealership has the same arrangement. These are used for the free oil changes and those who don't specify. The full synthetics of various manufacturers are on the shelf in the parts department. I always ask for Pennzoil "premium," but in the future I'll check to see what that is. I have a feeling I've not been getting the PUP.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052717 miles.
Seems that's the way to me. 1st oil change the mechanic used full synthetic Penzoil, second oil change (I didn't say, service didn't ask) I had to look up a number to determine what it was - conventional. Been doing my own ever since.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
On the alignment... there may be a smidgen of truth in blaming the lane assist.

When the front end is aligned and the steering wheel is centered, they should do a steering center reset. That tells things when the steering wheel is at rest. There is a tiny little vane that controls the electric steering. Within a few degrees play, nothing. But if you start turning the wheel, the vane senses it and then the electric motor starts assisting. So if you are even just a couple degrees off, normal steering jiggle from the road can tell it you're turning and so it starts to move that way until the steering angle sensor is back to zero. Which may not be straight ahead. So you'll constantly be fighting the drift. It also affects the ABS and ESC a little but. If it things you're turning when you're going straight or vice-versa, things can get weird.

Besides shutting off the lane assist, also try to find a nice flat stretch of road and purposefully ignore the steering wheel, just look far into the distance and get the truck driving perfectly straight ahead. Then look at where the steering wheel is. It should be centered. If not, take it back.

U

User_3336

I bought the three synthetic oil changes for $100. they used a "kit" that was 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum (NOT ULTRA), and a mopar oil filter. i've seen these for sale on Amazon.
It was a loss leader for the dealer, as they only get reimbursed $50 from FCA, and they didn't charge me for the extra 2 quarts.

U

User_3336

This is the other "kit" the dealer used. 7 qts and filter (kit shown was 6)

oilchangekit1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread