5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got back from dealer for first oil change and alignment check. Opinions?

Ramjack

Reaction score
and I said that kit shown was 6, and not 7....... There are different kits, I was just showing the "KIT" regardless of the qts.
Hey did you edit that, or did I really miss it ??? Aging sucks.

jkm312

Reaction score
SD Rebel
GENIUS walking around!
Never thought of that! I like it.

Pretty easy on this truck honestly, leave the oil cap on tight during the initial drain, and the oil doesn't splash much on the sway bar.

Appyfan

Reaction score
On the alignment... there may be a smidgen of truth in blaming the lane assist.

When the front end is aligned and the steering wheel is centered, they should do a steering center reset. That tells things when the steering wheel is at rest. There is a tiny little vane that controls the electric steering. Within a few degrees play, nothing. But if you start turning the wheel, the vane senses it and then the electric motor starts assisting. So if you are even just a couple degrees off, normal steering jiggle from the road can tell it you're turning and so it starts to move that way until the steering angle sensor is back to zero. Which may not be straight ahead. So you'll constantly be fighting the drift. It also affects the ABS and ESC a little but. If it things you're turning when you're going straight or vice-versa, things can get weird.

Besides shutting off the lane assist, also try to find a nice flat stretch of road and purposefully ignore the steering wheel, just look far into the distance and get the truck driving perfectly straight ahead. Then look at where the steering wheel is. It should be centered. If not, take it back.
Thank you for this explanation. I tested it on a flat, straight road on my way home with the lane assist on, and with it off. It’s much better now. What you described is exactly what it felt like before the alignment-constantly fighting a mild drift. If I was inattentive for a few seconds, it would drift enough to activate the lane assist.

On a possible related note, when I first got the truck, I tested its reaction on a curve I know like the back of my hand. Pavement was perfectly dry. I went around the curve just under 60 mph, a speed my 4th gen could easily handle. The steering wheel in this truck vibrated like the front tires were jumping/skipping on wet pavement. Could that have been the steering angle sensor?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
SD Rebel
GENIUS walking around!
Never thought of that! I like it.

Pretty easy on this truck honestly, leave the oil cap on tight during the initial drain, and the oil doesn't splash much on the sway bar.

I'll admit, I got the idea from a service tech, not for the RAM but for just general oil changes. I get my oil hot before an oil change, even with that, it comes out very controlled with very little splash. After the oil is dripping straight down, I loosen the fill cap and pull the dipstick out slightly to aid in the final drain.

If you want to get really fancy, after I think I got most of the oil out, I hand tighten the drain plug so it stops dripping and I can focus on the oil filter, after I install the new filter, I put the pan back under the drain bolt and I remove it again. You will be surprised on how much more oil is still in there.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Getting the oil filter for the first time is a ROYAL BI%CH!

I got a trick, I get the oil hot by driving about 5 miles before the oil change, 200F is good. Then wait 15 minutes before you start your oil change. The original filter came out easily using a small strap oil filter ratchet.

I helped 2 other RAM owners with their first oil changes, their original filters came out easily as well since we warmed up the trucks first.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Thank you for this explanation. I tested it on a flat, straight road on my way home with the lane assist on, and with it off. It’s much better now. What you described is exactly what it felt like before the alignment-constantly fighting a mild drift. If I was inattentive for a few seconds, it would drift enough to activate the lane assist.

On a possible related note, when I first got the truck, I tested its reaction on a curve I know like the back of my hand. Pavement was perfectly dry. I went around the curve just under 60 mph, a speed my 4th gen could easily handle. The steering wheel in this truck vibrated like the front tires were jumping/skipping on wet pavement. Could that have been the steering angle sensor?
It might have been the ABS or ESC going nuts because it thought you were sliding -- the difference in wheels speeds did not match the steering angle.

Appyfan

Reaction score
Pennzoil makes a Premium Full Synthetic and an Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic (PUP).

The CDJR dealers around here have 500 gallon tanks of semi-synthetic oil that is specifically blended for CDJR vehicles by an oil supplier in Buffalo, NY. My neighbor, who is a Ford tech, said his dealership has the same arrangement. These are used for the free oil changes and those who don't specify. The full synthetics of various manufacturers are on the shelf in the parts department. I always ask for Pennzoil "premium," but in the future I'll check to see what that is. I have a feeling I've not been getting the PUP.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052717 miles.
Thank you. Maybe that’s why the service advisor was trying to talk me into the synthetic blend. We are in the same area-I’m about 45 minutes from Buffalo, maybe 1.5 hrs from Rochester.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I'll admit, I got the idea from a service tech, not for the RAM but for just general oil changes. I get my oil hot before an oil change, even with that, it comes out very controlled with very little splash. After the oil is dripping straight down, I loosen the fill cap and pull the dipstick out slightly to aid in the final drain.

If you want to get really fancy, after I think I got most of the oil out, I hand tighten the drain plug so it stops dripping and I can focus on the oil filter, after I install the new filter, I put the pan back under the drain bolt and I remove it again. You will be surprised on how much more oil is still in there.
What do you think would happen if you took the oil pan plug out and injected air into the dip stick tube?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pennzoil makes a Premium Full Synthetic and an Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic (PUP).

The CDJR dealers around here have 500 gallon tanks of semi-synthetic oil that is specifically blended for CDJR vehicles by an oil supplier in Buffalo, NY. My neighbor, who is a Ford tech, said his dealership has the same arrangement. These are used for the free oil changes and those who don't specify. The full synthetics of various manufacturers are on the shelf in the parts department. I always ask for Pennzoil "premium," but in the future I'll check to see what that is. I have a feeling I've not been getting the PUP.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052717 miles.
To my knowledge, dealerships do not generally stock Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

When they refer to a “premium full synthetic“, odds are that means Pennzoil Platinum.

I’ve noticed that their ads / coupons make their synthetic blend sound like a premium oil, too.

My (personal) garage is stocked with PUP (and some Mobil 1 EP for the mowers)…

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got a trick, I get the oil hot by driving about 5 miles before the oil change, 200F is good. Then wait 15 minutes before you start your oil change. The original filter came out easily using a small strap oil filter ratchet.

I helped 2 other RAM owners with their first oil changes, their original filters came out easily as well since we warmed up the trucks first.
I always change my oil with the engine warmed up. But I let it get to normal operating temperature, then let it sit for about 30 minutes to let the exhaust cool enough to avoid burning myself with an errant elbow or forearm LOL. Changing it with things warmed up helps the oil to flow better, as well as making the filter easier to remove. Been doing oil changes like this since the late 70's. And I've never had a problem removing the factory filters on any of the three 5th gens my wife and I have owned.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I always change my oil with the engine warmed up. But I let it get to normal operating temperature, then let it sit for about 30 minutes to let the exhaust cool enough to avoid burning myself with an errant elbow or forearm LOL. Changing it with things warmed up helps the oil to flow better, as well as making the filter easier to remove. Been doing oil changes like this since the late 70's. And I've never had a problem removing the factory filters on any of the three 5th gens my wife and I have owned.

To be honest, I'm probably right around 30 minutes as well. After I get her on the ramps, pull out the tools, try to figure out the last place I put the wrench, grab a snack and drink, talk with the neighbor, lol.

834k3r

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm probably right around 30 minutes as well. After I get her on the ramps, pull out the tools, try to figure out the last place I put the wrench, grab a snack and drink, talk with the neighbor, lol.
Are you spying on me? That's exactly how it happens with oil changes on my other vehicles.
"Crap. Where did I put the socket set?
Oh, chips!
Wait. What was I doing again?"

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you spying on me? That's exactly how it happens with oil changes on my other vehicles.
"Crap. Where did I put the socket set?
Oh, chips!
Wait. What was I doing again?"
Sounds like me every day, but then again I'm old :ROFLMAO:

Gipraw

Reaction score
I am still debating on using PUP or AMSOIL Signature for my first oil change. I always change when it is warm as well. Makes things easier, even on the lift.

What mileage did you all do your first oil change?

Jako

Reaction score
I am still debating on using PUP or AMSOIL Signature for my first oil change. I always change when it is warm as well. Makes things easier, even on the lift.

What mileage did you all do your first oil change?
You will find different answers. I did my first at about 3600 miles. Here is a link to many posts on oil changes. Be aware many have had difficulty removing the filter on the first oil change. I opted for the dealer to avoid that problem and the mechanic did say it was difficult to remove.

redneck

Reaction score
just had my first oil change done the part number for the oil was 68523001-aa service guy had no idea if it was synthetic

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online