5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a 2nd battery in 2020 1500, Gasoline, 5.7 Hemi?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Attached is a picture of the error I’m getting on the dash. It doesn’t happen every time I drive the car but comes on about half the time. Thought my issue might be connected to the 48v battery. I bought this truck used and I’m not sure if the truck sat up for any length of time. I know that can be bad for some 12v batteries but not sure how that could impact the 48v batteries these trucks have
Please include the details of your truck (year, model, options, etc) when asking for help. Saves us from having to ask. Even better is to edit your signature to include those like a lot of us have done.

There was a TSB for that which covered certain model years. You might want to spend a little time to search the forum for information on that.

Bin01123

Reaction score
Please include the details of your truck (year, model, options, etc) when asking for help. Saves us from having to ask. Even better is to edit your signature to include those like a lot of us have done.

There was a TSB for that which covered certain model years. You might want to spend a little time to search the forum for information on that.

Thank you for the information and point noted on my signature

Bin01123

Reaction score
Sitting doesn't impact the 48 volt, it's not a seal acid battery.
It should still be under warranty unless the truck is really high mileage.
Battery pack costs around $1500 if not.

My truck has 66k miles and I don’t believe the warranty covers this any longer. I was able to see the battery today when I pulled down the rear seats but didn’t have enough time to access the the terminals to see if the connection were loose. My goal was to check the connections to make sure they are secure and put a battery tester on the 48v battery. I’m hoping that can tell me something but I’m likely going to need to pull the seat out in order to have enough room for my battery tester to access the terminals. Does this sound like the right path to take in order to troubleshoot this issue?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck has 66k miles and I don’t believe the warranty covers this any longer. I was able to see the battery today when I pulled down the rear seats but didn’t have enough time to access the the terminals to see if the connection were loose. My goal was to check the connections to make sure they are secure and put a battery tester on the 48v battery. I’m hoping that can tell me something but I’m likely going to need to pull the seat out in order to have enough room for my battery tester to access the terminals. Does this sound like the right path to take in order to troubleshoot this issue?
Did you ever have the infamous rear window leak. Is it possible water got under your rear seat somehow? Just a thought. I kind of remember reading something about other members having water damage to their e-torque system.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I believe the etorque system is covered by the federal emissions warranty, which is 8year/80k miles. The 48v battery should be covered under that system. Best to check with your dealership to be sure though. I no longer have an etorque so I don't have direct access to the warranty booklet.

Bin01123

Reaction score
Did you ever have the infamous rear window leak. Is it possible water got under your rear seat somehow? Just a thought. I kind of remember reading something about other members having water damage to their e-torque system.

I haven’t seen signs of water damage, but to be fair I’ve only had the truck for two weeks.

Bin01123

Reaction score
I believe the etorque system is covered by the federal emissions warranty, which is 8year/80k miles. The 48v battery should be covered under that system. Best to check with your dealership to be sure though. I no longer have an etorque so I don't have direct access to the warranty booklet.

Thank you, I will check

***Update***

The following is covered under the Federal emission warranty below that I found in the book. I'm going to reach out the dealership to see if I can get this done

B. PARTS COVERED FOR EIGHT YEARS OR 80,000 MILES

If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission

Warranty covers that part for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles,

whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited

Warranty as set forth in “section 2.1 E”. The covered parts are:

• Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator — 3.6L, 5.7L With Belt Start

Generator (BSG)

• Catalytic Converter

• Hybrid Control Processor — 3.6L, 5.7L With BSG

• Power Pack Unit (PPU) 48 Volts — 3.6L, 5.7L With BSG

• Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

• Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, your warranty still covers it. The battery, and the generator itself.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your battery tester won't work on the 48v battery. It doesn't have traditional terminals, and I would be surprised if a battery tester even has a setting for a 48v lithium ion battery

Bin01123

Reaction score
Your battery tester won't work on the 48v battery. It doesn't have traditional terminals, and I would be surprised if a battery tester even has a setting for a 48v lithium ion battery

Dang. Thank you all. I really appreciate the help as I had no idea this part was still covered under a warranty.

@HSKR R/T Thanks for the help here as well as you just saved me some time from finding this out the hard way.

Bin01123

Reaction score
***UPDATE***

The dealership just called and said all my truck needed was a new 12v battery which I already replaced and they saw that. They said the truck needs about 8 to 10 days for the computer to recognize the change and update which should clear the issue I'm experiencing with the message I'm getting. Does this sound right about the computer needing a number of days to make a change and clear out a message?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
***UPDATE***

The dealership just called and said all my truck needed was a new 12v battery which I already replaced and they saw that. They said the truck needs about 8 to 10 days for the computer to recognize the change and update which should clear the issue I'm experiencing with the message I'm getting. Does this sound right about the computer needing a number of days to make a change and clear out a message?
It's not unheard of. These trucks really go to crap when the 12v battery is on its way out. 8-10 days is a bit extreme but it does need time to relearn it's systems for lack of a better term.

Bin01123

Reaction score
It's not unheard of. These trucks really go to crap when the 12v battery is on its way out. 8-10 days is a bit extreme but it does need time to relearn it's systems for lack of a better term.
I think I may have wasted money on the diagnostics fee and they are going to be wrong

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think I may have wasted money on the diagnostics fee and they are going to be wrong
I domt think I have saw people with messages related to eTorque being the 12V battery.
If it ends up being the eTorque system they need to return you the diag fee under warranty as they get paid for it. They charge a fee because they think people bring things that are not covered under warranty in to get checked.
A 2 month old truck shady dealerships will try and charge a diag fee unless you don't back down.

Bin01123

Reaction score
I domt think I have saw people with messages related to eTorque being the 12V battery.
If it ends up being the eTorque system they need to return you the diag fee under warranty as they get paid for it. They charge a fee because they think people bring things that are not covered under warranty in to get checked.
A 2 month old truck shady dealerships will try and charge a diag fee unless you don't back down.
My truck is a 2021 but if they turn out to be wrong, I will bring that truck right back and they are not charging me a diagnostic fee again. That ain't happening captain

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
***UPDATE***

So the new 12v battery you just bought was somehow bad?

Bin01123

Reaction score
So the new 12v battery you just bought was somehow bad?
They're saying I need to drive the truck more with the new battery and the message should go away. I installed the battery on 12/29/23 and I haven't driven it everyday so maybe they are right but it just doesn't feel right. I have been driving the truck though @RamCares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've heard of it taking up to a day for everything to sort out after a battery replacement, but not a week or more. And it does that without needing to drive around the whole time. Dealership is feeding you a line of BS IMO.

Bin01123

Reaction score
I've heard of it taking up to a day for everything to sort out after a battery replacement, but not a week or more. And it does that without needing to drive around the whole time. Dealership is feeding you a line of BS IMO.
And that what I don’t understand. It makes no sense @RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread