5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a 2nd battery in 2020 1500, Gasoline, 5.7 Hemi?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Going back to look at this 2020 Limited. The sales man replied to me and admitted he was incorrect and I was correct, he was thinking of the etorque and this truck is NOT etorque. Yet, I don't think eTorque 48v lithium battery would effect all the electronics, but maybe. He said the battery was replaced and everything reset and now the tailgate, the backup camera, etc....is working.

If it is a good deal I don't care if he does not know the truck. I probably know more than him at this point. Wish me luck on my purchase!!
The main 12v battery is charged by the 48v battery pack through a DC to DC converter. So an issue with the 48v battery pack could affect other things.

I do lots of research before buying a new truck, so I usually know more about them than whoever is trying to sell it to me. It would be difficult for a sales rep to know about every vehicle type they are selling, even if they stay at the same dealership for years. They're selling lots of different types of vehicles every day, and it would take a lot of extra effort on their part just to learn and remember everything about every vehicle their dealership sells. It might be a different story if a dealership has specialized sales staff for each vehicle type they sell. But I don't know of any dealerships in my ares that do this.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read the manual when I got my 22, then again about 2 months ago.

I definitely missed the part where it explains to fold down the rear seats.

I had to put my center console down in back to find the cable. I was able to string it up top when I put it back.

The seats don't really fold forward. Maybe 6-12 inches forward? Kind of useless.

I also noticed my center console feels like crap in back. Almost like it's foam that's been soaked in water for days but then dried. Very weird... And no I don't have a leak.

I too have read the majority of the manual. I missed it also.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If only there was a book that they would include with vehicles that tell you about the features of the truck. They could call it an owners manual, and store it in the glove box
That is funny, but I know there's nothing in my owner's manual that references the rear seat release. Don't know if it was listed for previous years, but it isn't in the '22 manual.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Going back to look at this 2020 Limited. The sales man replied to me and admitted he was incorrect and I was correct, he was thinking of the etorque and this truck is NOT etorque. Yet, I don't think eTorque 48v lithium battery would effect all the electronics, but maybe. He said the battery was replaced and everything reset and now the tailgate, the backup camera, etc....is working.

If it is a good deal I don't care if he does not know the truck. I probably know more than him at this point. Wish me luck on my purchase!!
The eTorque is a different beast and has a bunch of special quirks and oddities all it's own.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
........ It would be difficult for a sales rep to know about every vehicle type they are selling, even if they stay at the same dealership for years. They're selling lots of different types of vehicles every day, and it would take a lot of extra effort on their part just to learn and remember everything about every vehicle their dealership sells. It might be a different story if a dealership has specialized sales staff for each vehicle type they sell. But I don't know of any dealerships in my ares that do this.
No it's not, it's their job. I work in sales, not cars, but have many brands, and different products in those brands then I can give full details and specific build information on. These specs get updated yearly or so and I learn them.

Why? Because I get payed to and make more money myself when I k ow more. Unfortunately, people have realized they can do the bare minimum and lie to people and most times that's good enough for them to get by.

tabber02

Reaction score

good luck! nothing wrong with knowing more than your sales guy or gal... you're the one that lives with the purchase!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No it's not, it's their job. I work in sales, not cars, but have many brands, and different products in those brands then I can give full details and specific build information on. These specs get updated yearly or so and I learn them.

Why? Because I get payed to and make more money myself when I k ow more. Unfortunately, people have realized they can do the bare minimum and lie to people and most times that's good enough for them to get by.
Good for you. The internet is full of perfect people. You said it yourself, the more you know the more money you make. That's not necessarily true about car sales reps. Their job is to sell a product which almost sells itself, not to learn everything they can about those products. I don't disagree completely. As someone who buys those products it would be nice to have a sales rep that's knowledgeable about the truck I'm shopping for. But their jobs don't depend on that.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
Good for you. The internet is full of perfect people. You said it yourself, the more you know the more money you make. That's not necessarily true about car sales reps. Their job is to sell a product which almost sells itself, not to learn everything they can about those products. I don't disagree completely. As someone who buys those products it would be nice to have a sales rep that's knowledgeable about the truck I'm shopping for. But their jobs don't depend on that.
Never said I was perfect. Just that i do what I can, to protect myself.

I will say I have been quite disappointed in every car salesman I have bought from, and defiantly agree with you that I had more knowledge on the vehicles I wanted then the salesman.

Doesn't make it right though.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I will say I have been quite disappointed in every car salesman I have bought from, and defiantly agree with you that I had more knowledge on the vehicles I wanted then the salesman.

I get that. You want the people selling you something to know about what they're selling. But that's not the reality. I have a brother-in-law who used to sell cars. He worked for Ford, Chevy, Honda, and Ford again. It's understandable that he didn't know everything about every vehicle those car makers produce. So to me it's understandable.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I get that. You want the people selling you something to know about what they're selling. But that's not the reality. I have a brother-in-law who used to sell cars. He worked for Ford, Chevy, Honda, and Ford again. It's understandable that he didn't know everything about every vehicle those car makers produce. So to me it's understandable.
If you have a question about the Samsung phone you bought at Verizon you can call Samsung.
If you have a question about your Ram truck you bought at the Ram dealership, you can bend over.

Dealerships are the only front facing brand item for car manufacturers. You can't go into a Ram factory and talk to the employees or phone up Ramcares and expcet to get anything other then "go to the dealership"

When you buy a new car are you ever allowed to have a service tech come out to answer questions for you, or are you stuck with the sales person.

Not knowing\understanding and LYING about what you are selling is wrong.
It's perfectly okay to say "I don't know" or "let me find out". It does waste peoples time but it's better then outright lying.
Most car salesmen just lie and don't care and there is nothing that can be done about it.

When I got a car at Carmax the salesperson was trying to sell me on their warranty and because I had a newborn baby he gave me this situation saying if the baby threw up on the back seats they would be cleaned or replaced for free.
At the end I made him give me the actual information and it clearly said upholstery was NOT covered. He said "oh I thought it was let me get my manager I have been telling people it was and I think it is." who then confirmed the whole story he just made up was wrong and a lie and it never would of been covered.
I still bought the car but I didn't but the warranty out of spite.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a question about the Samsung phone you bought at Verizon you can call Samsung.
If you have a question about your Ram truck you bought at the Ram dealership, you can bend over.

Dealerships are the only front facing brand item for car manufacturers. You can't go into a Ram factory and talk to the employees or phone up Ramcares and expcet to get anything other then "go to the dealership"

When you buy a new car are you ever allowed to have a service tech come out to answer questions for you, or are you stuck with the sales person.

Not knowing\understanding and LYING about what you are selling is wrong.
It's perfectly okay to say "I don't know" or "let me find out". It does waste peoples time but it's better then outright lying.
Most car salesmen just lie and don't care and there is nothing that can be done about it.

When I got a car at Carmax the salesperson was trying to sell me on their warranty and because I had a newborn baby he gave me this situation saying if the baby threw up on the back seats they would be cleaned or replaced for free.
At the end I made him give me the actual information and it clearly said upholstery was NOT covered. He said "oh I thought it was let me get my manager I have been telling people it was and I think it is." who then confirmed the whole story he just made up was wrong and a lie and it never would of been covered.
I still bought the car but I didn't but the warranty out of spite.
We're getting off-topic here, but no one has complained yet so...

I totally agree with you. There's a lot of mystery surrounding buying new cars. No idea why. But it seems to apply to most if not all car makers.

As far as being lied to, I haven't experienced that myself at my local dealerships, but that's a dealership issue more than a manufacturer issue.

Regarding extended warranties, the contract explicitly states what is and isn't covered. I suggest you read through that if you're considering purchasing one and not rely on what the sales rep tells you.

Finally, get everything promised to you in writing. Sales reps can tell you whatever they think you want to hear if it means you'll buy the car you're looking at. But at the end of the day, only what you can produce in writing will be honored.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I will say I have been quite disappointed in every car salesman I have bought from, and definitely agree with you that I had more knowledge on the vehicles I wanted then the salesman.

I agree with you. Salesmen that don't have at least some basic knowledge of their products are just lazy. The last two vehicles I bought; I was pleasantly surprised that both guys knew more about the vehicles than I did. It made the process so much better.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not hard for the average salesman to have more knowledge about the vehicles they re selling than the average buyer. Most people buying new cars aren't spending hours researching before hand. Shoot, most couldn't even tell you to check air pressure in their tires, or know what the proper inflation pressure is. The buyer that goes to a dealer knowing exactly what they want and all the available options is rare.

Bin01123

Reaction score
If it's an e-torque Hemi it has a 48VDC battery behind the rear seat. But it has nothing to do with anything he has said. So not really blowing smoked just ignorant about the product he is selling

Do you know what this second battery does on the e-torque hemis? I keep getting the start/stop light on my dash and have seen other people replace that battery and fix the start/stop issue on other Chrysler vehicles

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know what this second battery does on the e-torque hemis? I keep getting the start/stop light on my dash and have seen other people replace that battery and fix the start/stop issue on other Chrysler vehicles
The 48v battery is used to turn the motor/generator which is used to get the truck moving and restart the engine with auto start/stop is active.

Bin01123

Reaction score
The 48v battery is used to turn the motor/generator which is used to get the truck moving and restart the engine with auto start/stop is active.

Thanks. I’m going to get a part number for it and see if I can replace it to address this issue

vincentw56

Reaction score
What do you mean by the start stop light on your dash? You will get that when it goes in the stop/start mode. Maybe you could elaborate if it's an error or you're just getting the little symbol. It doesn't really make much sense on what you're saying that your issue is.

Bin01123

Reaction score
What do you mean by the start stop light on your dash? You will get that when it goes in the stop/start mode. Maybe you could elaborate if it's an error or you're just getting the little symbol. It doesn't really make much sense on what you're saying that your issue is.

Attached is a picture of the error I’m getting on the dash. It doesn’t happen every time I drive the car but comes on about half the time. Thought my issue might be connected to the 48v battery. I bought this truck used and I’m not sure if the truck sat up for any length of time. I know that can be bad for some 12v batteries but not sure how that could impact the 48v batteries these trucks have

Attachments

• IMG_8528.jpeg
    IMG_8528.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Attached is a picture of the error I’m getting on the dash. It doesn’t happen every time I drive the car but comes on about half the time. Thought my issue might be connected to the 48v battery. I bought this truck used and I’m not sure if the truck sat up for any length of time. I know that can be bad for some 12v batteries but not sure how that could impact the 48v batteries these trucks have
Sitting doesn't impact the 48 volt, it's not a seal acid battery.
It should still be under warranty unless the truck is really high mileage.
Battery pack costs around $1500 if not.

Users who are viewing this thread