5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a 2nd battery in 2020 1500, Gasoline, 5.7 Hemi?

john3mary

Reaction score
At a dealer today to test drive a Pre-owned 2020 Limited 1500. I get there and they have it started but the salesmen says because of the cold snap the battery was dead and he had to jump start it. OK, that's fine, it was running and we got in. He told me we could not test drive because all the auxilliary power items like backup camera and when he when to shift the car died, he claims it was the "second battery" that is under the back seat of the RAM. So I lifted up the back seat and said where is that, can I see it? He claimed not, it is not an owner serviceable item and when he has seen it is is under the seat and carpet and pointed to somewhere beneath the truck.....I call BS! on that. This is not a Diesel and I cannot find anywhere that says there is a second battery on a Gas RAM 1500. Is there? What is he talking about? I finally asked him, what type of battery is is and what is the part #, he said he will get back to me. I noticed the tailate would go down with the remote but then I showed him when trying to open the tailgate manually it would not go down. He tried and said, yep, same problem, probably that second battery being dead..... huh?

Anyone want to tell me what is he talking about or is he just blowing smoke? Maybe he does not want to sell this truck or he is covering for not knowing what he is talking about. He should of said I don't know I will have the service tech look at it and get back to you.

Any thoughts?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At a dealer today to test drive a Pre-owned 2020 Limited 1500. I get there and they have it started but the salesmen says because of the cold snap the battery was dead and he had to jump start it. OK, that's fine, it was running and we got in. He told me we could not test drive because all the auxilliary power items like backup camera and when he when to shift the car died, he claims it was the "second battery" that is under the back seat of the RAM. So I lifted up the back seat and said where is that, can I see it? He claimed not, it is not an owner serviceable item and when he has seen it is is under the seat and carpet and pointed to somewhere beneath the truck.....I call BS! on that. This is not a Diesel and I cannot find anywhere that says there is a second battery on a Gas RAM 1500. Is there? What is he talking about? I finally asked him, what type of battery is is and what is the part #, he said he will get back to me. I noticed the tailate would go down with the remote but then I showed him when trying to open the tailgate manually it would not go down. He tried and said, yep, same problem, probably that second battery being dead..... huh?

Anyone want to tell me what is he talking about or is he just blowing smoke? Maybe he does not want to sell this truck or he is covering for not knowing what he is talking about. He should of said I don't know I will have the service tech look at it and get back to you.

Any thoughts?
If it's an e-torque Hemi it has a 48VDC battery behind the rear seat. But it has nothing to do with anything he has said. So not really blowing smoked just ignorant about the product he is selling

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ooops, Not an eTorque engine, straitght plain old 5.7L Hemi
A salesman that doesn't know what he is talking about. Now that's a new one. BTW, that's sarcasm. I've never seen any salesman know what they were talking about. You'd think they would be required or at least want to know everything about what they are selling. I've been told all kinds of lies. I think I learned more the truck the day after I brought it home than all the salesman at my dealership combined.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I know my wife's Durango with auto stop has 2 batteries, but the second one I think is just for the Start circuit since the engine stops when you stop and has to restart when you go to take off. I know some trucks have auto stop but I thought they were the Etorque trucks. I know my 2021 bighorn with the Hemi does not and I am happy about that.

RedFred

Reaction score
A salesman that doesn't know what he is talking about. Now that's a new one. BTW, that's sarcasm. I've never seen any salesman know what they were talking about. You'd think they would be required or at least want to know everything about what they are selling. I've been told all kinds of lies. I think I learned more the truck the day after I brought it home than all the salesman at my dealership combined.
Yeah, it's kind of sad that many of the people that work at dealerships know nothing about the cars they are selling or even cars in general. Even the service department at my local dealer has only women running the service department. Nothing wrong with that except at this dealership they know noting about cars. When you ask them about anything other than basic service you get a deer caught in the headlights look from them. I asked them look at my front passenger side axle and they told the tech to look at the driveshaft and gave me a quote for a driveshaft replacement and wanted to order the part. I asked them why are we replacing the driveshaft? Is there anything wrong with it? She had no idea, only response was that she thought I wanted it replaced. 🤦‍♂️

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not and eTorque
If it's not an etorque Hemi then it only has the one battery in the engine bay, and there is no battery behind the rear seat. Are you sure it's not an etorque? Sounds like you're new to 5th gen Ram 1500's, how did you determine that it's not etorque?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it is an eTorque everything he said could be true? Maybe a bad battery also.
My tailgate has software buttons so if my battery is dead I can't open it.
Even my Ramboxes are digital buttons, but can be unlocked with a key.

As far as starting it and getting nothing, that could be normal. When people here have a dead battery nothing works right, even if it's taking a charge. When I disconnect my battery sometimes it takes 24 hours to "get back to normal" after re-connecting it.

I wonder if they couldn't charge the main battery because the eTorque battery was completely dead too?

Also under the rear set is kind of right (from a salesperson standpoint), it's behind the rear seat near the floor. You can't see it without getting the back of the seat folded down, which I think needs powertools to cut stuff to allow you to fold the top down (on the 1500s).

U

User_3336

I know my wife's Durango with auto stop has 2 batteries, but the second one I think is just for the Start circuit since the engine stops when you stop and has to restart when you go to take off. I know some trucks have auto stop but I thought they were the Etorque trucks. I know my 2021 bighorn with the Hemi does not and I am happy about that.
It was an AGM BATTERY, primarily for start/stop applications. This battery is ideal for vehicles with start-stop technology or high demand electrical accessories (back up cameras, heated seats, navigation, plug-in accessories) which put a heavier load on the battery.... Maybe the dumb salesman thought they were in the RAM as well.

ACDelco AUX12 Professional Automotive AGM JIS 12BS Battery​

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also under the rear set is kind of right (from a salesperson standpoint), it's behind the rear seat near the floor. You can't see it without getting the back of the seat folded down, which I think needs powertools to cut stuff to allow you to fold the top down (on the 1500s).
The rear seat backs fold down if you have reclining rear seats. Otherwise you will need to do the modification which you cut the hooks that hold the seat backs to the rear wall. There are youtube videos out there for that mod if you're interested in learning how it is done.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The rear seat backs fold down if you have reclining rear seats. Otherwise you will need to do the modification which you cut the hooks that hold the seat backs to the rear wall. There are youtube videos out there for that mod if you're interested in learning how it is done.
How do they fold down????
Mine don't and I have reclining rear seats.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I never found a way to fold down my reclining rear seats either (other than the mod where you have to trim out the plastic tab in the back, which I haven't done).

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I never found a way to fold down my reclining rear seats either (other than the mod where you have to trim out the plastic tab in the back, which I haven't done).

On the reclining rear seats, there is a string like cable behind both the driver side and passenger side seat backs. You pull the cable horizontally and it unlatches the seat back allowing the seat back to be folded forward.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do they fold down????
Mine don't and I have reclining rear seats.
On the reclining rear seats, there is a string like cable behind both the driver side and passenger side seat backs. You pull the cable horizontally and it unlatches the seat back allowing the seat back to be folded forward.
If only there was a book that they would include with vehicles that tell you about the features of the truck. They could call it an owners manual, and store it in the glove box

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wow thanks, i didnt know that

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If only there was a book that they would include with vehicles that tell you about the features of the truck. They could call it an owners manual, and store it in the glove box
I read the manual when I got my 22, then again about 2 months ago.

I definitely missed the part where it explains to fold down the rear seats.

I had to put my center console down in back to find the cable. I was able to string it up top when I put it back.

The seats don't really fold forward. Maybe 6-12 inches forward? Kind of useless.

I also noticed my center console feels like crap in back. Almost like it's foam that's been soaked in water for days but then dried. Very weird... And no I don't have a leak.

john3mary

Reaction score
Going back to look at this 2020 Limited. The sales man replied to me and admitted he was incorrect and I was correct, he was thinking of the etorque and this truck is NOT etorque. Yet, I don't think eTorque 48v lithium battery would effect all the electronics, but maybe. He said the battery was replaced and everything reset and now the tailgate, the backup camera, etc....is working.

If it is a good deal I don't care if he does not know the truck. I probably know more than him at this point. Wish me luck on my purchase!!

Users who are viewing this thread