5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
guys,
did anyone of you run in to an issue adding / making changes in BCM with AlfaOBD and alfa shows the change, but it does not work.
I have successfully added the blindspots in my 2020 ram BigHorn but cannot get them to work in my 2022 Laramie, both trucks I got the OEM tail lights with BlindSpots (brand new) in my 2020 I did not replace mirrors, just add small LED in the doors, in my 2022 I have OEM mirrors, but I have tried with the little LEDs as well, just to prove the point, but no luck.

What is funny, after making changes I can connect to each blind spot, I can see that the VIN# is there of my RAM as first and as current VIN. Also on my radio I can see the the option for trailer length for blind spots, but that is the only option.

Same thing for the tailgate ajar warning. I have enabled it in my 2020 and it works like a charm. in 2022 does not work at all.
you're 2022 may not have the correct pass side tail gate latch with the feedback switch for the ajar warning. I believe all 19-21's were built with the latch, whether or enabled or not, but I think some 2022's did not get the latch?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
guys,
did anyone of you run in to an issue adding / making changes in BCM with AlfaOBD and alfa shows the change, but it does not work.
I have successfully added the blindspots in my 2020 ram BigHorn but cannot get them to work in my 2022 Laramie, both trucks I got the OEM tail lights with BlindSpots (brand new) in my 2020 I did not replace mirrors, just add small LED in the doors, in my 2022 I have OEM mirrors, but I have tried with the little LEDs as well, just to prove the point, but no luck.

What is funny, after making changes I can connect to each blind spot, I can see that the VIN# is there of my RAM as first and as current VIN. Also on my radio I can see the the option for trailer length for blind spots, but that is the only option.

Same thing for the tailgate ajar warning. I have enabled it in my 2020 and it works like a charm. in 2022 does not work at all.
Did you add the canbus wiring from under the seat? When I did mine the only other issue I had was that I turned on the mirror function before I actually did that part so it disabled blind spot all together. Once I added the mirrors everything worked fine. As far as tailgate ajar, it could be like mine and doesn’t have the correct latch with the switch. I added the new latch and tailgate jumper harness and turned it on in Alfa and now that works too

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Should really have to do anything with your VIN for this mod. I didn’t and the full system works. That said, I use JScan not Alfa so I can’t say what might be happening there.

wsolarczyk

Reaction score
guys,

All,
Small update to this, on my 2022 laramie, i reversed all changes made and put them back in and to my surprise all started to work.
As for the tailgate, i am missing a latch with the switch, compared to my 2020, so i need to order a new latch with new tailgate harness.

Maintf16

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has pictures of them cutting the hole in taillight. I am hoping to see any possible angle I can get my eyes on so I know where the danger areas are b4 starting. Thanks for any help.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has pictures of them cutting the hole in taillight. I am hoping to see any possible angle I can get my eyes on so I know where the danger areas are b4 starting. Thanks for any help.
Bunch of links in post 3 that will likely get what you need.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What makes you think you need to cut holes in your lights? Which tail lights are you using?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need to modify my current led taillights to house the bsm.

Maintf16

Reaction score
All that information is near the beginning of the thread.
Yea I did see some pics. I saw someone post they had tons more pics so I was just asking if him or anyone else has anymore cause maybe it will show a diff angle to where the circuits are so I don't nick anything.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I did see some pics. I saw someone post they had tons more pics so I was just asking if him or anyone else has anymore cause maybe it will show a diff angle to where the circuits are so I don't nick anything.
Maybe you should message them directly or tag them.

Maintf16

Reaction score
Maybe you should message them directly or tag them.
I did message the guy who said he had more. Around a week ago and haven't heard back yet. So I decided to try on the forum in case anyone else has some.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just “plunge cut” straight in and shallow. If you follow the shape you should be good. It’s when you start angling to cut that you can nick the boards like I did on one of mine.

If you’re trying to do it with a knife it’s gonna be hairy between the boards and not cutting yourself. I used my Dremel once I F’d up the first one and it was fine.

Maintf16

Reaction score
Just “plunge cut” straight in and shallow. If you follow the shape you should be good. It’s when you start angling to cut that you can nick the boards like I did on one of mine.

If you’re trying to do it with a knife it’s gonna be hairy between the boards and not cutting yourself. I used my Dremel once I F’d up the first one and it was fine
If anyone is curious I have a few pictures of how I did it. The only thing I did different was instead of going straight down I left a little lip all around the edge for the seal to sit on. I first used a Dremel to start a decent sized square in the middle. I then took an exacto knife and made a groove around the edged leaving a little lip as stated b4. I took wire cutters and cut strips up to the groove I made and then just took a pliers and started working up and down till the entire piece came off right at my groove. Then took my knife and cleaned up any edges. This is just b4 I started cleaning up the edges. 1676320998177.jpeg

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the hard part is trying to blow all the small dark plastic bits/fragments out of the lens housings after making the cut! I used a die grinder with small wheel and it made a mess inside the light! after a few weeks driving, it mostly bounced/settled down at the bottom of the housing where you can't really see it.

Maintf16

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make your mirrors dim and also heat? When I added blind spot I added the mirror dim on passenger side and turned it on in Alfa. Forgive me but trying to turn it on I just realized I don't have anyway to turn my heat function on either (I live in AZ and have never needed it). I go to the menu settings mirrors/wipers but the only option in there is wipers with or without headlights.

Edit: also I do have a mirror dim button where the heat controls are for the seat but that did t turn anything on either. Even the rear view mirror.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make your mirrors dim and also heat? When I added blind spot I added the mirror dim on passenger side and turned it on in Alfa. Forgive me but trying to turn it on I just realized I don't have anyway to turn my heat function on either (I live in AZ and have never needed it). I go to the menu settings mirrors/wipers but the only option in there is wipers with or without headlights.

Edit: also I do have a mirror dim button where the heat controls are for the seat but that did t turn anything on either. Even the rear view mirror.
I thought the heat function turns on when you turn on your rear defrost.
It should be in your manual. There is no specific way to turn on your mirror defrost independently.

Maintf16

Reaction score
I thought the heat function turns on when you turn on your rear defrost.
It should be in your manual. There is no specific way to turn on your mirror defrost independently.
After some investigating you would be correct sir. Also found that the auto dimming side mirrors follow the auto dim rear view mirror. If inside mirror senses glare it will turn on consequently turning on the outside mirror dim as well.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the hard part is trying to blow all the small dark plastic bits/fragments out of the lens housings after making the cut! I used a die grinder with small wheel and it made a mess inside the light! after a few weeks driving, it mostly bounced/settled down at the bottom of the housing where you can't really see it.
Yeah I did a whacky mini shop vac type of thing and shook it around while hooked up. But that was a pain! But yeah now it looks like there nothing in there. 👍🏼

Yes as mentioned above. That feature turns on with the rear defroster button. You got it! 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread