5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

RyanZ

Reaction score
The mirrors are plug and play. No additional wiring needed. This is what i did.

You'll still have to do the jumper harness and the short wiring portion under the driver seat if you get OEM tail lights.
Perfect! Thanks man!

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
All settings are in the Body computer and Car configuration change. The last one for the door may or may not be needed? I added the mirrors with the LED so I never tried without it. It will take awhile for the radio to pickup the changes for the menu but it will.
View attachment 42576 View attachment 42578
View attachment 42579 View attachment 42580
View attachment 42581
Question in my dropdown on alphaobd i do not see CabinNet LBSM Left Blind Spot I do see RBSM right blind spot the only other option i do see below that one is
"CabinNet: BSS Blind Spot Sensor/LBSS Left blind spot sensor" should I assume that's what I should enable for the left side since i do not see what you posted?

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
Question in my dropdown on alphaobd i do not see CabinNet LBSM Left Blind Spot I do see RBSM right blind spot the only other option i do see below that one is
"CabinNet: BSS Blind Spot Sensor/LBSS Left blind spot sensor" should I assume that's what I should enable for the left side since i do not see what you posted?
Just an FYI I enabled the above question and it works fine it's a little different description than the original posters post for enabling the left side. Anyone with a 2020 level 1 bighorn may run into the same thing so there u go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200914-142242_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20200914-142242_AlfaOBD.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Screenshot_20200914-142255_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20200914-142255_AlfaOBD.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 174

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out and answering questions over the past 6 months lol this turned out to be a lot longer project than I expected due to breaking my ankle. Overall process was pretty damn simple I was a little worried cutting into the wire harness below the driver seat and tapping the correct wires blah blah blah but after doing it it makes the most sense and it's extremely simple sorry for the lack of pictures here's a couple. But thanks again glad I have this feature working now on my truck it would be nice if there's a way to turn the volume down when you have your blinker on and a car is passing you that is pretty freaking loud lol

Attachments

• 20200912_102130.jpg
    20200912_102130.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 395
  • 20200912_102148.jpg
    20200912_102148.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 392
  • 20200912_111614.jpg
    20200912_111614.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 393

tdb0021

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out and answering questions over the past 6 months lol this turned out to be a lot longer project than I expected due to breaking my ankle. Overall process was pretty damn simple I was a little worried cutting into the wire harness below the driver seat and tapping the correct wires blah blah blah but after doing it it makes the most sense and it's extremely simple sorry for the lack of pictures here's a couple. But thanks again glad I have this feature working now on my truck it would be nice if there's a way to turn the volume down when you have your blinker on and a car is passing you that is pretty freaking loud lol

glad you got it all figured out! I ended up turning the sound all the way off and rely on the LED only. I too did not like the sound of the noise.

Alpha obd has been updated since my original instruction document so i bet that's why some of the alpha options are missing or worded different

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
I’m having a problem finding the wire harness 20’ does anyone have a part number for this and anything else wiring needed .I have a 2020 rebel and bought rt taillight with bsm

tdb0021

Reaction score
I’m having a problem finding the wire harness 20’ does anyone have a part number for this and anything else wiring needed .I have a 2020 rebel and bought rt taillight with bsm

There should not be any 20' wiring harness you have to buy. You have to buy 2 harnesses, left and right "jumper" harness. These go from the tail light to the main wiring harness under the truck. You have to make the other harness yourself as detailed in the document in post #106 (page 6 of this thread).

PN:
68357220AC - https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-wiring-taillamp~68357220ac.html
68357222AC - https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-wiring-taillamp~68357222ac.html

redram65

Reaction score
Thanks for the great information. Will this blind spot monitor mod work for a 2018 Ram 1500?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the great information. Will this blind spot monitor mod work for a 2018 Ram 1500?
Yes, but you have to use the tail lights from a 2019 HD Ram, and you’ll need a custom harness and canbus shield that broadcasts the correct vehicle line information to the radars. You would follow this thread- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2019-hd-tail-lights-in-a-4th-gen.151018/
Member Roman217 over there can get you set up with a plug n play harness and the canbus module.

redram65

Reaction score
Yes, but you have to use the tail lights from a 2019 HD Ram, and you’ll need a custom harness and canbus shield that broadcasts the correct vehicle line information to the radars. You would follow this thread- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2019-hd-tail-lights-in-a-4th-gen.151018/
Member Roman217 over there can get you set up with a plug n play harness and the canbus module.
Thanks Jimmy07. I went through pages and pages on that link and could not find where any 2018s were able to get BSM working. I don't care about mirrors, would be nice to have just the chimes work.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy07. I went through pages and pages on that link and could not find where any 2018s were able to get BSM working. I don't care about mirrors, would be nice to have just the chimes work.
Hmmm...that entire thread is based on the discovery work to specifically get blind spot monitoring working on a 4th gen...did I link the correct thread? The thread title is “2019 HD tail lights in a 4th gen”. Just to be clear, your 2018 is a 4th gen.

redram65

Reaction score
Hmmm...that entire thread is based on the discovery work to specifically get blind spot monitoring working on a 4th gen...did I link the correct thread? The thread title is “2019 HD tail lights in a 4th gen”. Just to be clear, your 2018 is a 4th gen.
As far as I know it's a 4th gen. It's the "old" body style, not the 2019 model year body style. Mine has the security gateway module behind the radio which is a PITA to get to. I bypassed it once to turn on DRLs because the dealers around here told me to go pound sand instead of turning on the damn feature.

The link you'd originally posted had somewhere around 60+ pages that wondered in several directions, I could not find one that indicated a solution had been found.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As far as I know it's a 4th gen. It's the "old" body style, not the 2019 model year body style. Mine has the security gateway module behind the radio which is a PITA to get to. I bypassed it once to turn on DRLs because the dealers around here told me to go pound sand instead of turning on the damn feature.

The link you'd originally posted had somewhere around 60+ pages that wondered in several directions, I could not find one that indicated a solution had been found.
That’s the main thread (only one) that everyone uses to do the install on a 4th gen. All the info is in it.
Nutshell: you need the tail lights with BSM from a 2019+ Ram HD. If you have tow mirrors, you get the replacement glass for 2019+ Ram HD tow mirrors with the indicators. See posts 91&92 for all the parts to build the harness yourself and all the settings that need to be changed with AlfaOBD. Since you have a 1500, you must get a hold of Roman217 from that thread. He’s the only one that builds the canbus module necessary for the radars to work on a 1500, and he can build the harness for you also.
PM me if you have any specific questions.
I also have a set of red HD tails with BSM available.

Last edited:

redram65

Reaction score
Alright, I signed up at Ramforum and reached out to Roman217. If this can work I'll definitely be interested on those tails you have.

Brookelf

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in on this I added this to my truck before my mirrors arrived and I set the Doors-Blindspot Mirror Present with Alfaobd. While testing the system I got a warning light on my Evic (Blind Spot Monitor Temporarily Unavailable). System wouldn't work. Turned the mirrors present off and warning light went away and blind spot functions as it should minus the led mirror light. Just an FYI for those that don’t have the the mirrors.

Last edited:

tdb0021

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in on this I added this to my truck before my mirrors arrived and I set the Doors-Blindspot Mirror Present with Alfaobd. While testing the system I got a warning light on my Evic (Blind Spot Monitor Temporarily Unavailable). System wouldn't work. Turned the mirrors present off and warning light went away and blind spot functions as it should minus the led mirror light. Just wanted to let those who wanted to do this without the mirrors.

So basically- if you don't have the mirrors yet or don't plan on getting them don't enable "mirrors present" as it will cause a code. Thanks for the tip!

Brookelf

Reaction score
So basically- if you don't have the mirrors yet or don't plan on getting them don't enable "mirrors present" as it will cause a code. Thanks for the tip!
Correct it causes a code and disables blind spot completely.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in on this I added this to my truck before my mirrors arrived and I set the Doors-Blindspot Mirror Present with Alfaobd. While testing the system I got a warning light on my Evic (Blind Spot Monitor Temporarily Unavailable). System wouldn't work. Turned the mirrors present off and warning light went away and blind spot functions as it should minus the led mirror light. Just an FYI for those that don’t have the the mirrors.
When I did this to my 2017, before I found the part numbers of the mirror glass with indicators, I just installed some cheap small flush mount LEDs in the sail panels, and pinned them into the blind spot LED positions on the door module connectors.

Brookelf

Reaction score
When I did this to my 2017, before I found the part numbers of the mirror glass with indicators, I just installed some cheap small flush mount LEDs in the sail panels, and pinned them into the blind spot LED positions on the door module connectors.
Do you happen to remember what PIN number was in your harness? My mirrors will be here Thursday but I think there was a couple of members who wanted an alternative to buying the new mirrors. Some just wanted to replace the glass in there existing mirrors. Thanks in advance you are a great asset to many how to DIYs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/