5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insurance rates

detchargerfan

Reaction score
I'm jealous of all you guys complaining because your paying over $100/mo. I would love to be paying that but I live in Michigan where they have the highest rates in the country and don't even give us any lube. I'm paying around $250/mo

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
im paying $209 a month full coverage on 2019 Laramie and 2013 Nissan Altima S the on two drivers

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Your calculation of more expensive to repair is not in the math at all. You quote a higher tech truck from a 2014 to 2019 both the same truck with only 53 bucks a year difference in insurance premium? Twenty two percent increase in truck costs from 14 to 19 with only a .04% Increase in Premium? But from 2011 to 2014 10% to 12% increase in Insurance costs in three Years with clean drive records? I really do not think Bill made any up any thing as he went along since he sold nothing to me or insured nothing for me for no apparent gain to him.

Place an Air Suspended Ram in Off road 2 with air suspension and hit any car of your choice @ 25mph compare the same with any non 1/2 Ton Ram that has no air suspension with a 25 mph impact or even 50 MPH Impact (if other car is traveling @25mph.). Then compare the same thing with any 1/2 truck with standard suspension no lift. The #2 off Road Ram is 3 inch lift will do way more damage. Try the same scenario with off road 1 with 2 inch lift @ 45 MPH on the Ram. The damage would be significantly more than a non Ram with no Air suspension. Also...the Ram had larger 20 inch wheels the other trucks did not have for quite a few years allowing plenty of time (about 5 years) for damage data to be collected over the 17 and 18 wheels on other trucks. The Ram was larger compared to the other trucks in width and weight and height and even higher with air suspension and still is. I think you might have got your information from some one who made it up as they went :)

I still maintain that your friend made it up as he went along.

Per your math, unless you have a typo in there, you're paying ~$13k a year in insurance for your truck, is that right? If you're actually paying $13k a year in insurance, I would be far more worried about the other factors that go into an insurance rate than some craziness about the truck being an inch taller/wider and a bit heavier than the other trucks.

From the Insurance Information Institute (iii.org); I truncated all but the section that touches on repair costs so this post isn't a bazillion pages long:
The amount you'll pay for car insurance is impacted by a number of very different factors—from the type of coverage you have to your driving record to where you park your car. While not all companies use the same parameters, here's a list of what commonly determines the bottom line on your auto policy.
  • Your driving record
  • How much you use your car
  • Location, location, location
Other factors that affect premium price that can vary from one area or state to another are: cost and frequency of litigation; medical care and car repair costs; prevalence of auto insurance fraud; and weather trends.
  • Your age
  • Your gender
  • The car you drive – The cost of your car is a major factor in the cost to insure it. Other variables include the likelihood of theft, the cost of repairs, its engine size and the overall safety record of the car. Automobiles with high quality safety equipment might qualify for premium discounts.
Insurers not only look at how safe a particular vehicle is to drive and how well it protects occupants, but also how much potential damage it can inflict on another car. If a specific vehicle model has a higher chance of inflicting damage when in an accident, an insurer may charge more for liability insurance.
  • Your credit
  • The type and amount of auto insurance coverage

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Mine went up about 60 per month as compared to my 16. To those discussing amfam above...I've had them 20 years and my single car total loss on my 16 has been a nightmare. Ain't no way I'll stay with them.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still maintain that your friend made it up as he went along.

Per your math, unless you have a typo in there, you're paying ~$13k a year in insurance for your truck, is that right? If you're actually paying $13k a year in insurance, I would be far more worried about the other factors that go into an insurance rate than some craziness about the truck being an inch taller/wider and a bit heavier than the other trucks.

From the Insurance Information Institute (iii.org); I truncated all but the section that touches on repair costs so this post isn't a bazillion pages long:

I still maintain you have not a clue :) or cannot comprehend the post.The post was about increase in Ram costs for 5 years and Insurance premiums of two different generation of trucks,with a final comparison of Ram truck vs. Other trucks. There no mention of 13000 Insurance Premiums. Hey if the post helped others to understand some things with no value to you just move along no harm intended.

Last edited:

runamuck

Reaction score
we pay 2400$ or so per year for our 2019 laramie and 2017 infinit qx 50. I think adding the ram bumped the insurance 40$ per year over the 2017 gmc sierra I traded in. BTW we have all our stuff with usaa for many years and they have been very good to deal with the cpl. times we have ever had to make a claim for something.

Last edited:

dad2steph

Reaction score
No increase for me. I think they figure i pay enough already. $500 a month (no that is not a typo) Wife 2018 JLU Rubicon, Me 2019 Ram Rebel, 18yr old daughter 2013 Hyundai Elantra, 16yr old son 2015 Honda Civic. all full coverage with $250 deductables. guess you pay to play.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
No increase for me. I think they figure i pay enough already. $500 a month (no that is not a typo) Wife 2018 JLU Rubicon, Me 2019 Ram Rebel, 18yr old daughter 2013 Hyundai Elantra, 16yr old son 2015 Honda Civic. all full coverage with $250 deductables. guess you pay to play.

It's your son and daughter driving that premium up. A 16 year old male in a 3 year old Civic probably makes up almost half your total bill.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine went up 35 more per month. But we are talking going from an 05 Escape to a Limited RAM.

I need to correct myself. The estimate was 35 more per month. When all the dust had settled, it ended up only being 24 more per month. I"m happy with that.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
MrHankbot, You are correct. Kids cost me a fortune but they are worth it.

I'm holding on to my 2007 Element with plans to have my soon to be 10yo get it at 16. He's not getting coddled from me, he'll be paying for the insurance on whatever he wants to drive, so he'll be happy to have something cheap to insure. I'm sure my wife will cave on the cell phone issue, but no way is he driving for free. He needs to understand some of the costs of ownership to have a vehicle.

NYRAM

Reaction score
I have geico, I got a rough price on my 19’ Laramie crew cab that I ordered and they told me about 20/ month more than my 13’ big horn quad cab ram. I asked about the extra Saferty features and the lady told me that they don’t really do many discounts for safety features because everything is so stand now. I’m guess it went up because the MSRP is 20k more.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have geico, I got a rough price on my 19’ Laramie crew cab that I ordered and they told me about 20/ month more than my 13’ big horn quad cab ram. I asked about the extra Saferty features and the lady told me that they don’t really do many discounts for safety features because everything is so stand now. I’m guess it went up because the MSRP is 20k more.

GEICO is always full of it.... I have had them for about 7 years now...they brought me on really cheap over my old ins.Co. Then steadily raised my rates each 6 months and as I traded trucks and cars for new ones more and more with clean driving records and no accidents in over 20 years! Its time to keep getting new estimates until they get beat out.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
GEICO is always full of it.... I have had them for about 7 years now...they brought me on really cheap over my old ins.Co. Then steadily raised my rates each 6 months and as I traded trucks and cars for new ones more and more with clean driving records and no accidents in over 20 years! Its time to keep getting new estimates until they get beat out.

Progressive runs the same scam.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I have a independent agent that uses several different companies. They did some looking around and insurance on my 19 Ram and 18 Wrangler is going from $1458 a year to 1070.50 a year. Pretty happy with that quote. I could pay in 6mo intervals but if you pay it by the year you eliminate the possible increase after 6 mo. I have collector car ins on the camaro.
My ins co called me and said they made a mistake on my quote [alot higher] so now they got me a quote from progressive for $613 every 6 mo. for my Jeep and Ram. I guess I'm ok with that.

jk101

Reaction score
Mine went up $13 total for the 6mo policy, coming from a 2016 Silverado Midnight Edition

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ‘19 Ram is cheaper than our ‘17 Expedition. The Ram is $392 and the Expedition $432 every 6 months. However, these are with $1,000 deductibles. Did that to save big time. The savings in a couple of years is enough to pay for the deductible if ever needed. With Indiana Farm Bureau in which we also have 6 life policies (family of 4), home, farm and so on. They get a lot of my money anyway!:confused:

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just switched from State Farm to Geico with the same exact policy on Monday and brought it down to $400 every 6 months. Either way a big savings for me.

Users who are viewing this thread