5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insurance rates

LaRamie

Reaction score
For my wife and I we're paying $492/6 mo including gap coverage for $21/6 mo. Have American national insurance

Bboyce536

Reaction score
Anyone here coming from another brand to their 2019? It’s costibg me $60/month more to insure this Ram than it did my f150. Even though this has far more safety features. My mind is really blown at this. I’m not understanding why this is. Anyone else have something similar to this?
My 17 ram was cheaper then my past 3 silverados (14, 15 and 16.) ..but my 19 was $12 more per month then my 17. My 17 was a big horn and 19 is a laramie. I shopped around and actually ended up with AAA saving nearly $40 a month. Just shop around. You'll find somewhere thats way cheaper. Insurance companies dont owe you crap even if you've been with them for awhile.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$24 more per month than my old 2005 Dakota... not bad for a truck worth 3x the price...

craigrh13

Reaction score
State Farm said that on average Rams are more expensive to repair than silverados and f150’s. I found that odd...

RamMeToo

Reaction score
Im with State Farm (live in Florida) and same exact coverage went up $2 per month from my 2015 Wrangler. Not bad at all.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. I have American Family, not State Farm.
Im not saying you have you have state farm. I said weird that state farm has this 2019 truck but your company American Family does not and you suffering for their issue. I have State Farm and they have this truck in their system and its not to "new" thats a stupid excuse.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ram is the largest Pick up running around in the US. It varies from State to State,but The key is the Truck Providing same driver for each truck the Toyota ,Chevy .GMC and Ford will be cheaper. 2018 Silverado is 96 bucks a year cheaper over the 19 ram on the insurance here.

I have a very close friend who is a Field VP for an insurance Company and he told me the Ram is nick named the "MANGLER" by all inside the car insurance business. It cause more damage to other vehicles and people more than any other truck due to its size being larger. The Air suspension models added even more to the equation by being higher off the ground with its already larger size at speeds below 67 Mph where most impacts occur.

I had a non air suspension 2011 Ram Laramie 1500 new in 2011. Traded it for a 2014 ram Laramie with air suspension and my insurance jumped 183 per year in 2014!! The new 2019 same truck jumped up 53 a year over the 14. All clean driving records from 2008 and forward which had no effects on each model years.2014 I was raising hell and that is when I was schooled on Ram insurance higher than all trucks.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
The Ram is the largest Pick up running around in the US. It varies from State to State,but The key is the Truck Providing same driver for each truck the Toyota ,Chevy .GMC and Ford will be cheaper. 2018 Silverado is 96 bucks a year cheaper over the 19 ram on the insurance here.

I have a very close friend who is a Field VP for an insurance Company and he told me the Ram is nick named the "MANGLER" by all inside the car insurance business. It cause more damage to other vehicles and people more than any other truck due to its size being larger. The Air suspension models added even more to the equation by being higher off the ground with its already larger size at speeds below 67 Mph where most impacts occur.

I had a non air suspension 2011 Ram Laramie 1500 new in 2011. Traded it for a 2014 ram Laramie with air suspension and my insurance jumped 183 per year in 2014!! The new 2019 same truck jumped up 53 a year over the 14. All clean driving records from 2008 and forward which had no effects on each model years.2014 I was raising hell and that is when I was schooled on Ram insurance higher than all trucks.
That sounds a lot like your insurance friend was making it up as he went on. The Ram is about an inch larger in each dimensions than the others. I have a hard time thinking that would significantly impact insurance rates. Parts/technology complexity and higher cost to repair sounds like a much more feasible reason for higher rates than being an inch longer/wider/taller than other trucks...

In addition, a 2019 absolutely has more technology than a 2014 and will likely be more expensive to repair, and thus insure, all other things being equal.

Last edited:

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
I'm expecting delivery any day now on my new Laramie, so I just went to State Farm's website and got a quote on replacing my existing 2010 Silverado. Current rates are $354.46/6 mos and the new rate will jump to $500.91/6 mos. That's $24/mo increase, which isn't all that surprising since the new truck's value is so much more than the existing (regardless of safety features).
UPDATE: Since getting my truck and actually changing my insurance over, the new premium is actually lower than the quote from the website. I went to $460.20/6 months.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
My rates with progressive went down by $5 per month or $70 paid in full. 1 for 1 replacement of my 2013 Tundra with my 19 Laramie. Guess the safety features maybe, not sure nor am I complaining!! I do get military and 10 yr loyalty discounts as well.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'm switching out a 2014 Hyundai Azera for the Ram, my wife also has a 2007 Corolla on the policy. Dropping the collision and non-collision damage deductibles from my current $500 to $200 results in a new joint policy 6 month premium of $938, down from $945. I imagine if I'd kept my deductibles at $500, the 6 month premium would have had more than a $7 drop.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I have a independent agent that uses several different companies. They did some looking around and insurance on my 19 Ram and 18 Wrangler is going from $1458 a year to 1070.50 a year. Pretty happy with that quote. I could pay in 6mo intervals but if you pay it by the year you eliminate the possible increase after 6 mo. I have collector car ins on the camaro.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PA here, went up about $12 a month compared to my 15 Black express Quad Cab. Didn’t shop around though. State Farm.

Last edited:

slimchance

Reaction score
Lancaster Co., Pa .. just traded a 2018 Tundra TRD Limited on a 2019 Laramie .. Allstate Ins. .. 6 mo rates went down $55 .. clean record, no accidents or fines

zman9119

Reaction score
Up $60/m from my '03 with ****ty State Farm. No accidents \ claims \ clean record for 10+ years. They are changing the underwriter in mid-January but cannot quote me what the new price difference is between underwriters until the policy goes into effect.

Getting ready to shop around on this after they screwed a family member over on their towing over the summer (they tried to send a tow truck from 2+ hours away as they were up in the rotation to tow a vehicle when one of their "preferred" companies was 15 minutes away. Their roadside help is useless as is my agent.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I have a independent agent that uses several different companies. They did some looking around and insurance on my 19 Ram and 18 Wrangler is going from $1458 a year to 1070.50 a year. Pretty happy with that quote. I could pay in 6mo intervals but if you pay it by the year you eliminate the possible increase after 6 mo. I have collector car ins on the camaro.
I think it pays to have a independent agent that shops around for you and also do it yourself. I shopped myself and could not come up with a rate close to what they found.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sounds a lot like your insurance friend was making it up as he went on. The Ram is about an inch larger in each dimensions than the others. I have a hard time thinking that would significantly impact insurance rates. Parts/technology complexity and higher cost to repair sounds like a much more feasible reason for higher rates than being an inch longer/wider/taller than other trucks...

In addition, a 2019 absolutely has more technology than a 2014 and will likely be more expensive to repair, and thus insure, all other things being equal.

Your calculation of more expensive to repair is not in the math at all. You quote a higher tech truck from a 2014 to 2019 both the same truck with only 53 bucks a year difference in insurance premium? Twenty two percent increase in truck costs from 14 to 19 with only a .04% Increase in Premium? But from 2011 to 2014 10% to 12% increase in Insurance costs in three Years with clean drive records? I really do not think Bill made any up any thing as he went along since he sold nothing to me or insured nothing for me for no apparent gain to him.

Place an Air Suspended Ram in Off road 2 with air suspension and hit any car of your choice @ 25mph compare the same with any non 1/2 Ton Ram that has no air suspension with a 25 mph impact or even 50 MPH Impact (if other car is traveling @25mph.). Then compare the same thing with any 1/2 truck with standard suspension no lift. The #2 off Road Ram is 3 inch lift will do way more damage. Try the same scenario with off road 1 with 2 inch lift @ 45 MPH on the Ram. The damage would be significantly more than a non Ram with no Air suspension. Also...the Ram had larger 20 inch wheels the other trucks did not have for quite a few years allowing plenty of time (about 5 years) for damage data to be collected over the 17 and 18 wheels on other trucks. The Ram was larger compared to the other trucks in width and weight and height and even higher with air suspension and still is. I think you might have got your information from some one who made it up as they went :)

Users who are viewing this thread