5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing a subwoofer and amplifier with the alpine system

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
where do i posi tap my white/white blacck
and grey/grey black wires… i cnt find anything lol

Bugweiser

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm new here, I have a 2019 ram 1500 new style sport. It has the Alpine sound system 8.5 inch display head unit. I purchased a Alpine 10inch type S shallow subwoofer , and a Rochford Fosgate punch 1000 amp, and 4 infinity 6x9's for the doors. I wanted to install the new gear and have the Rochford amp power the new 10inch sub and the door speakers. Leaving the factory amp ( under the driver's seat) to power the factory sub and the other remaining speakers (dash) etc. However the install technician claims it's not possible without spending alot more money to make it work properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Clipped_image_20231026_042007.png
    Clipped_image_20231026_042007.png
    251.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm new here, I have a 2019 ram 1500 new style sport. It has the Alpine sound system 8.5 inch display head unit. I purchased a Alpine 10inch type S shallow subwoofer , and a Rochford Fosgate punch 1000 amp, and 4 infinity 6x9's for the doors. I wanted to install the new gear and have the Rochford amp power the new 10inch sub and the door speakers. Leaving the factory amp ( under the driver's seat) to power the factory sub and the other remaining speakers (dash) etc. However the install technician claims it's not possible without spending alot more money to make it work properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You will need a dsp also.

Bugweiser

Reaction score
You will need a dsp also.
Is there 1 in particular I should be getting? The Technician had mentioned something might of been a dsp, but then said it wouldn't work right. And claimed I should just disconnect the factory sub all together

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
Is there 1 in particular I should be getting? The Technician had mentioned something might of been a dsp, but then said it wouldn't work right. And claimed I should just disconnect the factory sub all together
I have a rockford fosgate dsp, but will be switching to a audio control dsp.

Brunzca

Reaction score
You can't (well, shouldn't) try and run some speakers off the factory amp, and others off an aftermarket amp. The factory amp for the Alpine and HK system has the crossovers built into it, so certain frequencies go to the dash, doors, sub, etc, and you can't change any of that. So if you try and run a separate amp to part of the system, you can only tune that part of it, not the factory powered part, and you can't ever tune it correctly. You're best off to a) add a sub/subs + mono amp to power them and bypass the factory sub. Swap out the factory speakers, but don't try to amplify them. Or b) bypass the factory amp entirely, get a DSP + amplifier (or combo) for everything + subs. If you go with option b, you can get as crazy as your budget allows. DSP brands vary greatly - I'd do a lot of research before picking one. Check out reviews, features, etc. Try to download the software and play with it if you plan to learn how to use it yourself (vs having your installer do it all for you). Some brands are: Audio Control, JL, Focal, ARC, Helix, Mosconi

IndianaRam

Reaction score
You can't (well, shouldn't) try and run some speakers off the factory amp, and others off an aftermarket amp. The factory amp for the Alpine and HK system has the crossovers built into it, so certain frequencies go to the dash, doors, sub, etc, and you can't change any of that. So if you try and run a separate amp to part of the system, you can only tune that part of it, not the factory powered part, and you can't ever tune it correctly. You're best off to a) add a sub/subs + mono amp to power them and bypass the factory sub. Swap out the factory speakers, but don't try to amplify them. Or b) bypass the factory amp entirely, get a DSP + amplifier (or combo) for everything + subs. If you go with option b, you can get as crazy as your budget allows. DSP brands vary greatly - I'd do a lot of research before picking one. Check out reviews, features, etc. Try to download the software and play with it if you plan to learn how to use it yourself (vs having your installer do it all for you). Some brands are: Audio Control, JL, Focal, ARC, Helix, Mosconi
Brunzca is completely correct. That is your best bet. 1st thing I did on mine after buying truck was pull stock sub and installed amp and JL sub, kept it that way for years and them finally upgraded everything this year. I did research for months before I changed everything out. I ended up going with a JL Audio VX800/8i (bought a used one) to run all the speakers in the truck and an old Sony amp I had for my sub. Can tune the DSP by laptop (JL), very easy. Heard Audio control is good also. Do a search on these forums, Thats what I did for everything, lots of good info here. Also check out "Five Star Car Stereo" on YouTube, they did an install on a couple 5th Gen Rams, and they have some great information. Good luck.

midfla

Reaction score
Brunzca is completely correct. That is your best bet. 1st thing I did on mine after buying truck was pull stock sub and installed amp and JL sub, kept it that way for years and them finally upgraded everything this year. I did research for months before I changed everything out. I ended up going with a JL Audio VX800/8i (bought a used one) to run all the speakers in the truck and an old Sony amp I had for my sub. Can tune the DSP by laptop (JL), very easy. Heard Audio control is good also. Do a search on these forums, Thats what I did for everything, lots of good info here. Also check out "Five Star Car Stereo" on YouTube, they did an install on a couple 5th Gen Rams, and they have some great information. Good luck.
So Indiana ram when you initially had just the amp and jl sub were you able to simply tap into the factory sub wiring to signal the new amp? Thanks

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Yes, but I tapped into the factory amp wiring under the driver's seat. I didn't tap into the factory sub. I also used Audio Control LC2i

Bugweiser

Reaction score
Yes, but I tapped into the factory amp wiring under the driver's seat. I didn't tap into the factory sub. I also used Audio Control LC2i
Ok thanks for the advice. I'll bypass the factory amp all together. I'll around for a step by step process dont want to damage and electrical. These newer trucks have so much more electrical that the older ones did. Did u remove your factory amp or just tapped in to the wiring?

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice. I'll bypass the factory amp all together. I'll around for a step by step process dont want to damage and electrical. These newer trucks have so much more electrical that the older ones did. Did u remove your factory amp or just tapped in to the wiring?
I just tapped into it and used the factory amp for all the other speakers in the truck, till this year when I upgraded everything (amps/speakers). Pulled out the factory amp and replaced it with a JL Audio VX800/8i.

eaglewindspirit

Reaction score
I just tapped into it and used the factory amp for all the other speakers in the truck, till this year when I upgraded everything (amps/speakers). Pulled out the factory amp and replaced it with a JL Audio VX800/8i.
Will you outline the process for replacing factory amp with this JL system, please?

ChillyD

Reaction score
Please help! Where did you tap into the factory amp to get the signal? Are you able to get a full signal from it?

RobAFerg

Reaction score
I just did this exact install for 2 - 12 pioneer subwoofers and a pioneer 2400 watt mono amp.
Use this adapter and you won’t have to cut a single wire.

206bf56dcdb9eaacc3aa6ffe5a6464cc.jpg

All you’ll need to run is power from battery to back seat. And I ran my bass knob wire from dash to amp.
I left the alpine sub behind the rear passenger seat and just unplugged the gray plug.

Super simple install.

22 Ram Bighorn: 20% Tint, Pioneer Sound System, Recon Tail Lights, Sequential Mirror Lights, 20x9 XD Grenades, 33x12.5 Nitto Graplers, MaxMate drop steps, Debadged.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I just did this exact install for 2 - 12 pioneer subwoofers and a pioneer 2400 watt mono amp.
Use this adapter and you won’t have to cut a single wire.

206bf56dcdb9eaacc3aa6ffe5a6464cc.jpg

All you’ll need to run is power from battery to back seat. And I ran my bass knob wire from dash to amp.
I left the alpine sub behind the rear passenger seat and just unplugged the gray plug.

Super simple install.

22 Ram Bighorn: 20% Tint, Pioneer Sound System, Recon Tail Lights, Sequential Mirror Lights, 20x9 XD Grenades, 33x12.5 Nitto Graplers, MaxMate drop steps, Debadged.
That works, they didn't have that when I did my upgrade the first time years ago.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Please help! Where did you tap into the factory amp to get the signal? Are you able to get a full signal from it?
I watched 5-Star audio videos on youtube on how to hook up a system in our Rams, check out the video

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online