5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed Dual Battery with Redarc Isolator

kbraunphoto

Reaction score
subbed; having to move over all my Tacoma modifications and this is one of them; damn secondary battery is 80LBS though....
and issues with your wheel well or flex in the tray etc?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
subbed; having to move over all my Tacoma modifications and this is one of them; damn secondary battery is 80LBS though....
and issues with your wheel well or flex in the tray etc?
No, If you follow my install I did not have any issues with the wheel well or flex in the tray; the battery has been solid and the tray has not flexed or moved since I installed it. (y)

Mike_WI

Reaction score
The truck actually seems to track better since I added the spare battery (weight) over the front passenger tire.
A little more planted especially on the curvy mountain roads in the area I live. (Balanced)

Your correct it was about half the price of the lithium battery.

Here is the parts list:
EDARC Smart Start Battery Isolator & Wiring Kit 12VPart # SBI12KIT$221.97
Bolt-Hex Flange HeadPart # CH6104378AA$1.35
Bracket - BatteryPart # CH68082538AB$3.45
Insulated Battery ShieldPart # CH56029822AD$30.25
Battery TrayPart # CH68350658AC$70.75
12V 750AMP Flooded BatteryPart# CHBBH7F001AA$160.50
Total$491.72
This is excellent. Thank you so much.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that are interested in adding a dual battery setup.

Redarc is running a 10% off sale today.

View attachment 112414

Redarc Electronics
question can i do this on a ram rebel eco diesel 2021, and also what is this connected to my negative terminal i think its a ibs correct ? but if i add a winch can i still connect it to my battery ?

Attachments

• 4CAD6061-2A57-42AB-A95A-4034A601FF8D.jpeg
    4CAD6061-2A57-42AB-A95A-4034A601FF8D.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 46

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
question can i do this on a ram rebel eco diesel 2021, and also what is this connected to my negative terminal i think its a ibs correct ? but if i add a winch can i still connect it to my battery ?
Yes, That is your Intelligent Battery Sensor IBS.

I don't know why you could not do this on an eco diesel , as long as you have the room to install the battery.

You would rconnect the winch to your auxiliary battery.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
question can i do this on a ram rebel eco diesel 2021, and also what is this connected to my negative terminal
Yes, That is your Intelligent Battery Sensor IBS.

I don't know why you could not do this on an eco diesel , as long as you have the room to install the battery.

You would rconnect the winch to your auxiliary battery.
ok yes only reason i dont see it working right now is i dont see a way to remove the cold intake …. it says cold intake is for 5.7 only ha

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok yes only reason i dont see it working right now is i dont see a way to remove the cold intake …. it says cold intake is for 5.7 only ha
Yeah, I figured the Ram Airflow only worked on the 5.7 HEMI, since you have a smaller diesel engine I did not know if you had any other space in the engine compartment.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured the Ram Airflow only worked on the 5.7 HEMI, since you have a smaller diesel engine I did not know if you had any other space in the engine compartment.
sadly not really imma see maybe i can squeeze extra battery nesr oem bat

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to give an update on this setup:

The dual battery and redarc install has been functioning for almost two years without any issues.

I have used the second battery for my Blackvue Dashcam and for LedGlow under carriage lights.

Battery_LEDGlow3.png
REDARC_Installed_Top_View.png

billybaloneey

Reaction score
Member RAM Patriot...with his dual battery install gave me the incentive to do the same. I finished up my install today, but went a slightly different route...instead to trying to modify a RAM 2500 battery holder, I decided to use the bottom portion of the OEM air box. It is slightly smaller than the 2500 battery holder bracket...but required overall minimal modifications. I went with the REDARC battery isolator kit also. The isolator kit I received only had 60 A main fuses...and because the isolator kit has the option of wiring up a way of jump starting the main/start battery from the aux battery...it required higher rated main fuses (100 A)...and I decided to use 2 gauge wire instead of the supplied 8 gauge wire. There are cheaper isolator kits available, but REDARC has been around for about 40 yrs (I think), so I didn't want to skimp and run the risk of having major electrical problems on my 2022 RAM 1500 Lone Star (5200+ miles).

Ram 2nd Battery Box-2.jpg
The bottom of the OEM airbox

Ram 2nd Battery Box-3.jpg
A sturdy ledge is 3.5" below the top lip of the box...and required removing some plastic vanes around the perimeter

Ram 2nd Battery Box-4.jpg
A sheet of 1/4" thick heavy plastic was cut and fit for the 2nd battery to sit on
Ram 2nd Battery Box-6.jpg
The OEM airbox has 4 guide pins to hold it in the airbox bracket...one guide pin needed to be cut flush to allow the 1/4" plastic sheet to fit in level
Ram 2nd Battery Box-8.jpg
About 1/2" of the guide pin was cut off
Ram 2nd Battery Box-10.jpg
I found a generic battery clamp at a local auto parts store...it fit perfect
Ram 2nd Battery Box-11.jpg
The aux battery all wired up...I used a 100 A circuit breaker (on the left), and a battery strap for extra insurance. I have extra large battery terminal covers ordered. The battery clearance is about 2" when the hood is closed...I had to limit my battery choice to one that was 7.5" tall
Ram 2nd Battery Box-12.jpg
REDARC suggests their isolator be installed as close to the main/start battery as possible, so I mounted the isolator between the fuse box and the battery...another 100 A circuit breaker was installed on the main/start battery side also...that bundle of wires to the left of the circuit breaker is from the AUX switch panel upgrade I installed a few weeks ago
Ram 2nd Battery Box-13.jpg
The REDARC isolator with it's red glowing LED, showing that it's doing what it's supposed to do...charge the aux battery
Ram 2nd Battery Box-14.jpg
The finished product...I installed under hood LED lighting and it was the first of many more electrical items that will be running off of the aux battery

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Member RAM Patriot...with his dual battery install gave me the incentive to do the same. I finished up my install today, but went a slightly different route...instead to trying to modify a RAM 2500 battery holder, I decided to use the bottom portion of the OEM air box. It is slightly smaller than the 2500 battery holder bracket...but required overall minimal modifications. I went with the REDARC battery isolator kit also. The isolator kit I received only had 60 A main fuses...and because the isolator kit has the option of wiring up a way of jump starting the main/start battery from the aux battery...it required higher rated main fuses (100 A)...and I decided to use 2 gauge wire instead of the supplied 8 gauge wire. There are cheaper isolator kits available, but REDARC has been around for about 40 yrs (I think), so I didn't want to skimp and run the risk of having major electrical problems on my 2022 RAM 1500 Lone Star (5200+ miles).

View attachment 145530
The bottom of the OEM airbox

View attachment 145531
A sturdy ledge is 3.5" below the top lip of the box...and required removing some plastic vanes around the perimeter

View attachment 145532
A sheet of 1/4" thick heavy plastic was cut and fit for the 2nd battery to sit on
View attachment 145534
The OEM airbox has 4 guide pins to hold it in the airbox bracket...one guide pin needed to be cut flush to allow the 1/4" plastic sheet to fit in level
View attachment 145536
About 1/2" of the guide pin was cut off
View attachment 145539
I found a generic battery clamp at a local auto parts store...it fit perfect
View attachment 145541
The aux battery all wired up...I used a 100 A circuit breaker (on the left), and a battery strap for extra insurance. I have extra large battery terminal covers ordered. The battery clearance is about 2" when the hood is closed...I had to limit my battery choice to one that was 7.5" tall
View attachment 145542
REDARC suggests their isolator be installed as close to the main/start battery as possible, so I mounted the isolator between the fuse box and the battery...another 100 A circuit breaker was installed on the main/start battery side also...that bundle of wires to the left of the circuit breaker is from the AUX switch panel upgrade I installed a few weeks ago
View attachment 145543
The REDARC isolator with it's red glowing LED, showing that it's doing what it's supposed to do...charge the aux battery
View attachment 145544
The finished product...I installed under hood LED lighting and it was the first of many more electrical items that will be running off of the aux battery
(y)Wow! Awesome job. Do you have part numbers for the battery and clamp that you used?

billybaloneey

Reaction score
(y)Wow! Awesome job. Do you have part numbers for the battery and clamp that you used?
The battery is a Walmart EverStart MAXX H6 730 CCA ($150 with a 3 yr warranty)...and I found the clamp at a NAPA auto parts store...Part #: NOE 7301648 ($4.30)

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
still trying to fiqure out how to do this on the eco diesel

MerzkeM

Reaction score
Just to give an update on this setup:

The dual battery and redarc install has been functioning for almost two years without any issues.

I have used the second battery for my Blackvue Dashcam and for LedGlow under carriage lights.

View attachment 123208
View attachment 123210
Do you mind sharing where you connected the negative terminal for your aux battery and the ground to the Redarc Isolator?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, I used these two ground connectors on the passenger side of the truck closest to the cab of the truck.
Battery Grounds.jpeg
The one on the left is going to the spare /auxiliary battery.

The one on the right going to the Redarc Isolator.

MerzkeM

Reaction score
BCA891CE-525D-4B03-9D6D-9B2BF3268CF4.jpeg 2C3908C5-F4AC-43F5-82C9-94F757643C52.jpeg Sure, I used these two ground connectors on the passenger side of the truck closest to the cab of the truck.
View attachment 155364
The one on the left is going to the spare /auxiliary battery.

The one on the right going to the Redarc Isolator.
Thanks! I just got the mods done to the battery holder and the battery installed. Now to wire it up and add the Redarc battery isolator.

Users who are viewing this thread