5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed Dual Battery with Redarc Isolator

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I admire your dedication.

I just think it's easier to have a single battery you can install and lift with one finger.

XYw2cJu.jpg

WRe6PGF.jpg

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I admire your dedication.

I just think it's easier to have a single battery you can install and lift with one finger.

XYw2cJu.jpg

WRe6PGF.jpg
That is a cool lithium battery. (y) :cool:

I did not realize it had Built-In Jump Start.

Does it keep a separate battery pack for starting the vehicle if the battery is low?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a cool lithium battery. (y) :cool:

I did not realize it had Built-In Jump Start.

Does it keep a separate battery pack for starting the vehicle if the battery is low?
It's all built in. There's a 20% SOC cutoff and then you need to press the button or use a keyfob it came with to reactivate the battery to full 100% CCA.

It also has an app and a bluetooth low energy status monitor so it will tell you in real time and over the last 30 days what your state of charge and current draws are charges are/were. It's awesome.
If it gets low, it will send an alert to your phone if you are close enough.

AN9PHi4.jpg

bh6nmvo.jpg

faVZU6u.jpg

hnUxuK8.jpg

UFqDmhW.jpg

Last edited:

MF2020

Reaction score
Wow! Excellent job! I definitely do not have the skills you have so I'm not sure I will attempt this. Now I will be looking forward to see how you link the two batteries. I presume you will use the switch bank of the 2500 for accessories that you will hook up to the new battery? Please keep us informed as to your progress. Really enjoy following this along. Thank you!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! Excellent job! I definitely do not have the skills you have so I'm not sure I will attempt this. Now I will be looking forward to see how you link the two batteries. I presume you will use the switch bank of the 2500 for accessories that you will hook up to the new battery? Please keep us informed as to your progress. Really enjoy following this along. Thank you!
Got the REDARC Smart Start® SBI12 microprocessor-controlled battery isolator installed yesterday afternoon, which protects the start battery from excessive discharge, while allowing the auxiliary battery to supply charge to non-essential loads.

It uses a solenoid that provides 12V DC to the secondary battery, when the Starter battery has over 13.7 Volts.

When the voltage of the starter battery falls below 13.7 V it disconnects the two batteries and isolates the second battery from the starter battery so that the starter battery remains full, while you can run your accessories off the auxiliary battery without worries.

Here is some pics of the install:
REDARC_Installed_Top_View.png
REDARC_SBI12_Box.png
REDARC_SBI12.png
REDARC_SBI12_Kit.png
REDARC_Installed_Block.png

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ones I've post are made for automotive applications. Same charging profiles, have an integrated BMS and thermal and voltage protections and work well down to -10c and up to 60c operating termperatures.. below 10c you need to run some accessories to warm them up to get full power. Considering the H7/94R for the 1500 would have 1800CCA I don't think loosing 1/2 that or more is going to not start your truck. It is NOT lot a lead acid battery. Below 10C, you need to be garaging or hibernating or running a heater anyways.

you are going to spend $200 on another AGM battery, $70 on the battery tray, $100 for the isolator. The lithium already does all that, no worries about voltage or amps or load balancing, no worries about a discharge. it cuts itself off at 20% capacity and you can "jump start" yourself and reactivate the battery. Price wise, you are already halfway there. No think about how nice it would be to loose 60+ lbs of dead weight.
The truck actually seems to track better since I added the spare battery (weight) over the front passenger tire.
A little more planted especially on the curvy mountain roads in the area I live. (Balanced)

Your correct it was about half the price of the lithium battery.

Here is the parts list:
REDARC Smart Start Battery Isolator & Wiring Kit 12VPart # SBI12KIT$221.97
Bolt-Hex Flange HeadPart # CH6104378AA$1.35
Bracket - BatteryPart # CH68082538AB$3.45
Insulated Battery ShieldPart # CH56029822AD$30.25
Battery TrayPart # CH68350658AC$70.75
12V 750AMP Flooded BatteryPart# CHBBH7F001AA$160.50
Total$491.72

Last edited:

MF2020

Reaction score
Excellent Job!! I have saved this equipment list and will attempt to do the same. However, I live in upstate NY where temps can get to minus 15 degrees below 0 and hang there for some time. I'm thinking I need a regular automotive battery with the typical high cold cranking amps? Adds weight but may be a more practical application for my location.

parnine

Reaction score
Excellent Job!! I have saved this equipment list and will attempt to do the same. However, I live in upstate NY where temps can get to minus 15 degrees below 0 and hang there for some time. I'm thinking I need a regular automotive battery with the typical high cold cranking amps? Adds weight but may be a more practical application for my location.

Given the intent of the battery is not a starting battery, you might want to consider a deep cycle battery. The deep cycle battery will provide more amp hours and last longer with the drain/recharge cycles. Very common in RV/Marine use.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Given the intent of the battery is not a starting battery, you might want to consider a deep cycle battery. The deep cycle battery will provide more amp hours and last longer with the drain/recharge cycles. Very common in RV/Marine use.
It is my understanding that deep cycle batteries and AGM, GEL require different charging profiles.

Which is why you use different type of controllers for the charging.

I wanted to match the battery to the stock for that reason.

parnine

Reaction score
It is my understanding that deep cycle batteries and AGM, GEL require different charging profiles.

Which is why you use different type of controllers for the charging.

I wanted to match the battery to the stock for that reason.

Yes, AGM vs GEL vs Flooded, have different charging profiles, so smart move not to mix with out proper charger electronics to compensate.

However, if you maintain the the battery type, Flooded to Flooded, AGM to AGM, etc. there is no 'charging issue' with mixing a starting battery with a deep cycle battery - they both can handle the same charge profile. The difference is in the plates. Deep cycle batteries have thicker plates allowing for a deeper discharge, and more repative discharges, with out damage, but give up 'burst' or 'starting amps'. Starting batteries use thinner or sponge type of plates, that if discharged down to say 80%, and done repetively, will be damaged and the life of the battery greatly reduced. quick google will give you more than you want to know :)

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, AGM vs GEL vs Flooded, have different charging profiles, so smart move not to mix with out proper charger electronics to compensate.

However, if you maintain the the battery type, Flooded to Flooded, AGM to AGM, etc. there is no 'charging issue' with mixing a starting battery with a deep cycle battery - they both can handle the same charge profile. The difference is in the plates. Deep cycle batteries have thicker plates allowing for a deeper discharge, and more repative discharges, with out damage, but give up 'burst' or 'starting amps'. Starting batteries use thinner or sponge type of plates, that if discharged down to say 80%, and done repetively, will be damaged and the life of the battery greatly reduced. quick google will give you more than you want to know :)
When it is time to replace the factory battery I will replace them with AGM batteries which should cut down on some weight, give me more Cold Cranking Amps CCA and faster recharge and a slower discharge.

Thanks for the suggestions. (y)

Jpduffy2882

Reaction score
I'd totally be interested in adding the auxiliary battery, but my 2019 Ram Limited 1500 5.7 Hemi has the Air intake where you installed your 2nd battery. What'd you do with the intake, or do you have a different engine?

Attachments

• WIN_20200617_16_59_34_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200617_16_59_34_Pro.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 93

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd totally be interested in adding the auxiliary battery, but my 2019 Ram Limited 1500 5.7 Hemi has the Air intake where you installed your 2nd battery. What'd you do with the intake, or do you have a different engine?
I Installed the RAM Airflow Intake to make the room for the battery or you could go with a Vararam intake same deseign but no cover.

Stock intake.
RAMAIR_Before.png

RAM AirFlow
RAMAIR_After.png

RAMAIR_After_Side.png

thrillracing

Reaction score
Moved my BlackVue Dashcam DR750S-1CH from the Starter Battery to the Auxiliary Battery.

Had to run through the firewall for this installation.

This camera put more pressure on the battery than I expected. Especially if I let the truck sit for a couple of days (Covid-19).

When you say pressure, do you mean you had to jump your batter after the couple of days or the low battery warning came on? Thanks for the info I will get a camera on my truck as soon as it lands, they are worth every dollar!

Ordered while the sh*t was hitting the fan..Hydro-Blue Laramie Group 2, Air-suspension, Off-road, Sport, Uconnect 12, power running boards, dual panel moonroof.

Users who are viewing this thread