5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed 3.5 inch Rough Country Lift

John89

Reaction score
Contrary to what most on this forum would recommend, I went with the 3.5” lift kit by Rough Country with the lifted N3 struts and V2 monotube rears. I understand fox and bilstein would’ve been a better choice, and tbh I could afford either. However, I really want to see for myself how the RC lift kit performs and so I could share my experience with others. My first impression is the lift is great! My truck rides better than stock, that’s for sure. It took away that wobble/soft feeling the truck had whenever you’d go over your typical speed bump. It feels firmer but in a good way if that makes sense. I’m still riding with the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/L’s (275/55r20) as I wanted to drive it for a bit to assess how the lift kit affected the ride. So far, I did notice a tiny drop in mpg but it was a negligible amount (~0.5 - 0.7mpg). These trucks chug gas anyway so it’s hard to really measure if this is due to the lift. Tomorrow I’ll be getting my new tires installed, Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/65r20 and I’ll be keeping the stock rims until I figure out which wheels I want to put on as I’m having issues figuring out what goes well with the bright white and chrome bumpers… Any recommendations are welcome! Also forgot to mention that I didn’t go with the rough country 1 inch rear spacers because I read from other members on here that the rear would be lower than the front. So, I went with 2 inch supreme suspension rear steel spacers. Found them on Amazon for $50. Seemed like a better deal ($100 less) and they look very similar if not better in quality than ready lifts.

Here’s a few pics!
36FF9A2D-BD13-4948-88C4-C6FFDC5F5AF8.jpeg
563D4C3F-72D9-437F-9BB3-EE50BD605D70.jpeg 28041AE2-A384-44CB-AC98-A5F1E3E944B9.jpeg
A7012888-E949-4DF6-B937-51B25C8431A6.jpeg
11BC88B0-16F9-4962-A002-CD4DA38E7591.jpeg

Last edited:

RAMonkey

Reaction score
I did the same, but with 2” Motofab spacers in rear along with ORP rear springs for a total of 3” in the back.
I also added Suspension Maxx front sway bar links. They make some solid extended ones. My OEM links were pretty torqued. Rides great.

Last edited:

cewalker2

Reaction score
I have the same kit ordered for my truck. My only concern is cv axle angle. Anyone have any problems yet from cv axle with 3.5 RC lift?

John89

Reaction score
I have the same kit ordered for my truck. My only concern is cv axle angle. Anyone have any problems yet from cv axle with 3.5 RC lift?
Not sure what qualifies a bad angle. Perhaps a more experienced forum member can chime in? I can take more pics if needed.

John89

Reaction score
I did the same, but with 2” Motofab spacers in rear along with ORP rear springs for a total of 3” in the back.
I also added Suspension Maxx front sway bar links. They make some solid adjustable ones. My OEM links were pretty torqued. Rides great.
Gotta check those front sway bar links out. Where’d you get them?

RAMonkey

Reaction score
Gotta check those front sway bar links out. Where’d you get them?

I called them first to verify fit. I was under the truck to measure the sway bar nut. Apparently, they switched up the sizes on various RAM models. Customer service was excellent.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also added Suspension Maxx front sway bar links. They make some solid adjustable ones. My OEM links were pretty torqued. Rides great.
What shocks are you using in the rear?

s10blazer89.jw

Reaction score
I also added Suspension Maxx front sway bar links. They make some solid extended ones. My OEM links were pretty torqued. Rides great.
Have you had any issues after lifting the rear 3"? This is similar to what I'll be doing.

tyanmax99

Reaction score
@John89 Curious what your 6 month evaluation has been? I'm picking up a '22 Rebel next week and have gotten to the point where I have paralysis by analysis on all the various options and configs.

John89

Reaction score
@John89 Curious what your 6 month evaluation has been? I'm picking up a '22 Rebel next week and have gotten to the point where I have paralysis by analysis on all the various options and configs.
What’s up man, definitely feel you on this as there are so many different opinions out here that vary from person to person. My honest review on the rough country 3.5” kit is that it works exactly as expected and I have had zero issues or noise coming from the suspension of any kind. I’d like to note that I have not taken this “truly” off road but some mild trails when I’ve gone camping. I can attest that if you’re not beating your truck off-roading that you’ll likely be happy with it. Hope this helps!

tyanmax99

Reaction score
What’s up man, definitely feel you on this as there are so many different opinions out here that vary from person to person. My honest review on the rough country 3.5” kit is that it works exactly as expected and I have had zero issues or noise coming from the suspension of any kind. I’d like to note that I have not taken this “truly” off road but some mild trails when I’ve gone camping. I can attest that if you’re not beating your truck off-roading that you’ll likely be happy with it. Hope this helps!
Perfect, thank you. I'm in Florida so not a lot of off road opportunities besides the beach :) It'll primarily be daily driver and dirt road type of off road. I just don't want my daily drive to be worse.

John89

Reaction score
Perfect, thank you. I'm in Florida so not a lot of off road opportunities besides the beach :) It'll primarily be daily driver and dirt road type of off road. I just don't want my daily drive to be worse.
Im in South FL, so yeah.. I think what really changed my ride in terms of comfort was when I put on larger tires 285/65r20. These make the ride a bit harder compared to the stock tires that come with it, but that’s the trade off between a more aggressive look! And not to mention, the hit to the mpg.. (Lost about 3-4 mpg in total). Without the larger tires, mpg was not really affected at all, maybe like 0.5.

Users who are viewing this thread