5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you've had the rear window leak...

snj1013

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 has developed a leak at the rear window lately. I have maybe opened the rear window 2 or 3 times since I've owned the vehicle. @RamCares I've sent a message to see if you can assist. Please check your inbox.

Jmac509

Reaction score
I would like for this to be covered under the max care warranty. That would be my main motivation for buying the Max Care.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would like for this to be covered under the max care warranty. That would be my main motivation for buying the Max Care.
It may be cheaper to just use your auto insurance. Might be something to look at.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm sure you would. But it doesn't matter what you would like, it's what's written in the warranty paperwork that matters. Extended warranties don't cover as much as the original factory warranty, and unfortunately too many people don't read the fine print in them until after they purchase it and it doesn't cover something. It's too bad they aren't more up front about that, but if they were they probably wouldn't sell nearly as many of them. Some people have had success with their dealership covering this as a goodwill repair. It would be best if Ram would step up and take responsibility for this and extend the original warranty to cover this issue.

Meen318

Reaction score
Finally got the official FCA warranty extension in the mail for the back window and third brake light. Prior to this extension I was out of warranty when I took it to the dealer the first time. So I went ahead and bought the new updated third brake light and installed it myself. I did the window silicone trick around the top of the glass outer frame and it's been holding up for about 6 months so far. My question is if they will give me crap for filling it in with silicone when I take it in with the official letter? I'm going to tell them that they told me that I was out of warranty the first time and I took matters into my own hands. The images below are what the documents sent to me look like but with all my information filled in. Screenshot_20231118_163923_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Screenshot_20231118_163902_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Gec4302

Reaction score
Hello All,
So I see alot of people who have corrected the leaks on their own and others getting the dealership try to fix tge issue.
But the question I have is what about the mold issue was that taken care of? If so how and who remedied it?

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
So is Stellantis still using the same window design ? Will we be talking about our 2024 models leaking in 3-4 years ?
Looking back through the threads, i would say that the answer is yes to both.

Jmac509

Reaction score
I think the class action lawsuit was worded something along the lines of "and they continue to replace the defective parts with equally defective parts".

I'm hoping if we continue to bring attention to it they will come up with a real solution for those who have leaks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They updated the window during the 2021 model year. I can't say I have any more confidence in the "new" design since people have reported failures with it as well. The only sure way to fix it is to forego the slider and replace it with a solid glass window. Those have no frame to crack. The glass is sealed directly into the opening, so if it leaks it can only be the sealant (or obviously broken glass).

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
So, a halfass update then. Should come as no surprise i guess. Literally the only thing i prefer about the tundra is their version of a sliding back window.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine had he crack and was replaced back in Jan/Feb 2020. -knock on wood- almost 4 yrs and 60k miles, it's been fine since. Truck sits outside in Jersey weather, iirm.

Third brakelight was done shortly after, and it's still holding up as well.

Literally check the back seat everytime it rains, so far, I haven't been disappointed.

Last edited:

Rando

Reaction score
Just a heads up. If you replace the chmsl yourself. Stellantis will deny you reimbursement under the extended warranty. I didn’t take it to the dealer because it’s 4 screws and a plug. Not worth the hassle.

In hindsight I should have reinstalled the original went to the dealer for a new chmsl and kept the one I bought as an extra. (Maybe get a new headliner while I’m at it because mine is stained due to the ****ty chmsl design.

It’s not even the money. The light cost $40 and took 10 mins to replace. One would think Stellantis would reimburse me simply as a customer goodwill. Hahaha what was I thinking.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just a heads up. If you replace the chmsl yourself. Stellantis will deny you reimbursement under the extended warranty. I didn’t take it to the dealer because it’s 4 screws and a plug. Not worth the hassle.

In hindsight I should have reinstalled the original went to the dealer for a new chmsl and kept the one I bought as an extra. (Maybe get a new headliner while I’m at it because mine is stained due to the ****ty chmsl design.

It’s not even the money. The light cost $40 and took 10 mins to replace. One would think Stellantis would reimburse me simply as a customer goodwill. Hahaha what was I thinking.
Yeah, they're cheap unless you have the digital rear view mirror with the camera in the CHMSL, then it's something like $300.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just got my letter as well, I think the value of this extension is if you had a major leak that also damaged your headliner, it could be worth the fix there. The fact they will deny your warranty if you fixed it yourself seems to counter the letter? I guess they mean repaired by the dealership instead of DIY if that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread