5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if you have a hemi etorque

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it. I like it. I don’t understand why people turn stop/start off. I have a feeling if they spent a week or two with it, it’d fade into the background and they’d hardly notice it.

Actually, that’s not fair. I do notice start/stop, but it doesn’t bother me one bit. It saves gas, it works smoothly, and doesn’t get in the way. I’ve got no problems with it.

That’s not to say you should or should not get eTorque. It is to say, if you’ve got it, use it.
Agree 100%. Have it and seldom notice it. Would get it again.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had it in two trucks and like it a lot. No issues at all and I enjoy both the extra boost off the line and not burning gas at a 2-3 minute stop light.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it may help when using cruise control on the highway when you need that extra little bit to maintain speed over a slight hill without downshifting. There's an FCA video that says it is at work on the highway
I’m not sure whether it is used in that manner, but it is definitely used to expand the MDS envelope. So a truck with eTorque can “hold onto” MDS longer than a truck without (per FCA).

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Yeah, it took me some time for sure. I like how it behaves now, because I'm used to it. I can even make the engine stay on sometimes by having a very light foot on the brake pedal. I can also make the engine shut off by pressing harder on the pedal. It's interesting to me.
I noted that after a while, thought it was odd, then interesting. I forget about it sometimes, though, pushing the pedal harder.

Overall, I like the eTorque, specifically ordered my truck with it. I do wish it did more, though. Like if it powered the truck under motor, held "engine off" status longer -I don't think I can hold 10 min, let alone 5-, or in "Park" -I mean, where am I going? That is definitely prime opportunity for saving fuel/efficiency. Guess that would require bigger battery/motor.
I also wish other starts could be done with eTorque system, like after warmup, instead of starter motor the generator could start engine with Push Start button.
It's pretty seamless for me, I dont notice added engine/regenerative braking, dont notice gear shifts, though I can feel the punch off the line sometimes.

Kaderast

Reaction score
I ordered mine specifically with eTorque. I think the auto start/stop function works flawlessly, only when it is really hot out with the AC cranking does it refuse to turn the truck off, which is fine. Nice to not have the truck running, dumping fuel into 8 cylinders at every stoplight for no reason. Braking seems smooth and powerful. I have no idea why people complain about this system so much.

dandar

Reaction score
Seriously?
What do you mean seriously? From Gas Warranty (look it up on Mopar's website:
B. PARTS COVERED FOR EIGHT YEARS OR 80,000 MILES If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in “section 2.1 E”. The covered parts are: • Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator — 3.6L, 5.7L With Belt Start Generator (BSG) • Catalytic Converter • Hybrid Control Processor — 3.6L, 5.7L With BSG • Power Pack Unit (PPU) - 48 Volts — 3.6L, 5.7L With BSG • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) • Transmission Control Module (TCM)
I don’t think the e torque has anything to do with the crappy a/c system in these trucks. I had cars in the early 90’s, old cars that blew much Colder air then these new rams. I had a pos 19 ram and now a 21 the a/c sucked in both!
When engine stops, a/c compressor stops and the air blows the moist air from warming up coils. Ram without etorque do not have auto off / auto on option.

Oldphart

Reaction score
I used the e torque as a method of bargaining. Went to an out of town dealer for the express purpose of testing both models. Didn't really notice a major difference between the 2. Auto stop was easy to defeat as was the MDS. Found my truck at the local dealership with e torque. I'm an older guy so I insisted the truck be the standard Hemi. Salesman finally got back to me on the last day of the quarter offering to knock another $1,500.00 of the negotiated price if I took the e torque version. Yes, I know the option is in the area of $1,700 but I had ground them down plenty.

If I defeat anything, it's the MDS. I don't like the fact that it's controlled by the lifters, particularly on cold mornings. It would have been nice if the MDS waited for the oil to rise to a set temperature before activating. I can't quantify why I feel this way, but I've been around cars going on 60 years and some things just don't sit right with me.

bskubon

Reaction score
I have it on my 2020 Limited. Knock on wood, working just fine, don’t notice it, auto restart is very quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpwj76

Reaction score
I used the e torque as a method of bargaining. Went to an out of town dealer for the express purpose of testing both models. Didn't really notice a major difference between the 2. Auto stop was easy to defeat as was the MDS. Found my truck at the local dealership with e torque. I'm an older guy so I insisted the truck be the standard Hemi. Salesman finally got back to me on the last day of the quarter offering to knock another $1,500.00 of the negotiated price if I took the e torque version. Yes, I know the option is in the area of $1,700 but I had ground them down plenty.

If I defeat anything, it's the MDS. I don't like the fact that it's controlled by the lifters, particularly on cold mornings. It would have been nice if the MDS waited for the oil to rise to a set temperature before activating. I can't quantify why I feel this way, but I've been around cars going on 60 years and some things just don't sit right with me.
I feel the same way about MDS, so I defeat it with the "gear limit" buttons every time I start driving. Sometimes I forget to do it after a three-point turn or something and the 4-cylinder drone starts, I hit the button and defeat it again.

You are probably talking about defeating it permanently.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like it. Sooooo much smoother than my last two stop/start vehicles. If you're by yourself with the radio/music off, you'll notice it, but otherwise you probably won't. My wife HATED the stop/start in the last two vehicles and she would always turn it off but this one doesn't bother her at all.

I think it's *mostly* the 3.92's but I can swear I notice that extra push off the line/dead stop with it. And considering this is a pretty thirsty engine, it actually does make a slight but noticeable difference in fuel economy around town. Most other engines don't benefit from stop/start cause they're not eating all that much gas at idle in the first place, but this one does.

Seems to also extend brake/brake-pad life. Since it's free, I'd go for it, and if you really hate the start/stop, do what others did and get a device that keeps it off. That's my two cents.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
if anyone ever gets a wiring diagram to see if an alternator can be wired in.

does it still have a regular battery?
Yes, there is still a 12v main battery under the hood. The etorque system is 48v but the rest of the truck is still 12v.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
E-torque is why I had to ordered my truck Without it. All the 2021 trucks I would have purchased on the lot in August had e-torque. It reduces the GVWR and not what I wanted. I put 179K miles on my 2011 Ram Hemi in just over 3700 hrs with 84k of that towing 7k#. Do the math.

Although the e-torque system is warranted 8 yrs, if the 48v battery or alternator were to fail you’re stuck. Try finding either one of those at NAPA on a Sat/Sun especially if you’re out of town towing.

german88

Reaction score
Don't notice engine braking, MDS, or start stop. Shifts smooth as can be and get's way better gas mileage than the truck it replaced. I'd buy etorque again in a heartbeat.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
What do you mean seriously? From Gas Warranty (look it up on Mopar's website:
B. PARTS COVERED FOR EIGHT YEARS OR 80,000 MILES If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of eight years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in “section 2.1 E”. The covered parts are: • Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator — 3.6L, 5.7L With Belt Start Generator (BSG) • Catalytic Converter • Hybrid Control Processor — 3.6L, 5.7L With BSG • Power Pack Unit (PPU) - 48 Volts — 3.6L, 5.7L With BSG • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) • Transmission Control Module (TCM)
That's good info. I specifically asked the dealer if the etorque was covered longer than the 3 yr/36,000 miles and he said no.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
best to put your vin in here

look for:
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY VEHICLE STILL HAS A WARRANTY?

You can look up your vehicle’s limited warranty details by logging into your Ram Brand Vehicle Dashboard. You can also search by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) even if you haven’t set up your Vehicle Dashboard.

You can find the VIN on the vehicle plate inside your vehicle, located on the driver’s side of the dashboard below the windshield. The VIN will also be printed on official documents for the vehicle, such as registration, title and insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread