5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if you have a hemi etorque

chris288

Reaction score
ordered my 2022 rebel specifically without e-torque, i had been reading of way too many stalling / re-starting issues while making turns and the trucks locking up. had regular 5.7 on my 2009 and my 2015.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ordered my 2022 rebel specifically without e-torque, i had been reading of way too many stalling / re-starting issues while making turns and the trucks locking up. had regular 5.7 on my 2009 and my 2015.
Never heard of either of those issues in 3+ years here. Wrote the first user review of eTorque on a Ram, actually.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I decided not to get it after I looked up the price of the etorque generator and battery back. they will be very costly when you have to pay out of pocket.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Out of how many etorque trucks produced?
Here, the problem may look huge but in the totality of etorque trucks produced, its likely less than 1/2 of 1%.

Engine shutting off while driving is a very serious issue though.

NHTSA recently opened an investigation into 600,000 Ram HD’s over only 22 complaints of engine shut downs

BowDown

Reaction score
Engine shutting off while driving is a very serious issue though.

NHTSA recently opened an investigation into 600,000 Ram HD’s over only 22 complaints of engine shut downs

I didn't say it wasn't, I said its not wide spread or prevalent as many purport. That first thread link sounds suspiciously like a grounding issue, the majority of people are making right hand slow speed turns when this occurs. I'd look at grounds.

Also from that 1st thread,
  • 37 of these issues seem to be about 2019-2021 RAM 1500s shutting off unexpectedly. 20 have descriptions that reasonably match the symptoms reported in this thread; 17 may or may not be the same issue.
This is exactly my point. 37 trucks reported. If we make the assumption that this is say 10% of problem trucks being reported and the real number is higher, its still not a large wide spread issue.
Honestly, crap like this is why I decided to buy a 2020 in July of 20 instead of waiting for a 21 or a late 20 that were IMO, Covid trucks.
Its my opinion that after covid started, you had labor disruptions and supply disruptions and manufacturers were forced to buy components from venders they chose not to use initially. I wanted nothing to do with those trucks, mine was built in Sept 2019, well ahead of covid and any supply/labor issues

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Honestly, crap like this is why I decided to buy a 2020 in July of 20 instead of waiting for a 21 or a late 20 that were IMO, Covid trucks.
Its my opinion that after covid started, you had labor disruptions and supply disruptions and manufacturers were forced to buy components from venders they chose not to use initially. I wanted nothing to do with those trucks, mine was built in Sept 2019, well ahead of covid and any supply/labor issues
That's some serious COVID paranoia. Do you have any proof to back up your COVID vendor claim?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Looks like that 1st thread did that, the majority of the trucks were 21's. What was in full effect in Q3 and 2021?
I haven't read any of the eTorque threads. Is there proof of COVID supply/vendor issues causing these problems? Are we seeing more problematic 2021's than any other year... eTorque or not?

Hemidakota

Reaction score
I ordered my 21 without. Didn't want it, didn't like it and I didn't need it. From a performance standpoint the etorque is slower. I was at the track with a friend that has a 21 etorque with basically the options as my truck and my times were half a second quicker in the ⅛th.

If I was forced to get etorque then I would not be happy and would probably cancel my order.

BowDown

Reaction score
I haven't read any of the eTorque threads. Is there proof of COVID supply/vendor issues causing these problems? Are we seeing more problematic 2021's than any other year... eTorque or not?

I read hear back in April- May of 20 FCA was having supplier issues with wiring harnesses.

I hadn't seen that first thread listed above regarding etoric but in quickly reading the nine pages, it appears to be the majority of them are 21s.

The other thread I had seen and I think those were also 21's

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
I ordered my 21 without. Didn't want it, didn't like it and I didn't need it. From a performance standpoint the etorque is slower. I was at the track with a friend that has a 21 etorque with basically the options as my truck and my times were half a second quicker in the ⅛th.

If I was forced to get etorque then I would not be happy and would probably cancel my order.

We're the 2 trucks identical? No way I believe etorque cost 1/2 a second in the 1/8th mile

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We're the 2 trucks identical? No way I believe etorque cost 1/2 a second in the 1/8th mile
Maybe if he's sitting there with the brake pressed and the engine off from the stop/start but otherwise yeah, that doesn't sound right.

Last edited:

Hemidakota

Reaction score
I have a Limited and he has a Laramie. Both are 4wd, same 3.92 rear end and same options all around except for the gas tanks. He has the 23 gallon and I have the 33 gallon.we both have the Borla cat back exhaust and he has the Mopar ram air intake and I went with the S&B cold air intake.

We have plans on weighing both of our trucks on certified CAT scales because he thinks his is heavier but I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread