5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if you have a hemi etorque

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have it. I like it. I don’t understand why people turn stop/start off. I have a feeling if they spent a week or two with it, it’d fade into the background and they’d hardly notice it.

Actually, that’s not fair. I do notice start/stop, but it doesn’t bother me one bit. It saves gas, it works smoothly, and doesn’t get in the way. I’ve got no problems with it.

That’s not to say you should or should not get eTorque. It is to say, if you’ve got it, use it.
Thanks for your opinion, but I prefer that my engine stays running until I decide to turn it off. Why do you need to understand why? We have our own reasons for disabling it, and I've voiced mine enough times. I'm not going into that again LOL. It's great if you like it. Please continue to keep it enabled with my blessing. The great thing is that there is a choice here. No need to judge others based on your own opinion.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
are you glad you have the etorque?

and

if you do not have the etorque do you wish you had it?
Ordered it that way in 2018. Works great! I wouldn't hesitate to order it again. I do think it would be cool if more feedback (data) on its activities were visible through UC or the cluster.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Specifically ordered my 22 without it …. It just seems like a really expensive fix once the warranty is up …. I keep my trucks for 9 or 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s my one big concern I was thinking myself. I usually keep my vehicles for 9 to 10 years I plan on keeping the truck the same. But I went ahead and got it so we’ll see what happens.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had it in my 2020, hated the regenerative braking, was never comfortable with the stop/start feature and installed an Autostop Eliminator…then I traded it for my 2021 Ecodiesel…LOVE the Ecodiesel. I’ve owned six diesels in my lifetime and will take a diesel over an eTorque but who knows how much longer they will be available with the Greenies piling on…

We also have a 2020 Laramie eTorque in the family and my Daughter-in-Law loves it. To each their own…

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it. I like how smooth it is. Do I turn it off a lot yes. I don’t like how it turns off at a stop sign for a second stop then right back on. If only the truck knew when the stop sign or light is long or short. I would say for me 90% of the time it’s useless. Very rarely am I at the traffic like long enough. It is nice for at fast food line. Lol

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion, but I prefer that my engine stays running until I decide to turn it off. Why do you need to understand why? We have our own reasons for disabling it, and I've voiced mine enough times. I'm not going into that again LOL. It's great if you like it. Please continue to keep it enabled with my blessing. The great thing is that there is a choice here. No need to judge others based on your own opinion.
I don't need to understand your reasons (nor do I need your blessing, but thanks anyway), but on a post where @bigdodge asked for peoples opinions, I had this crazy idea that I would share my opinion.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another one who specifically ordered without it, I don't see much benefit to it at all and I'm very sure I would find it annoying. I still can't stand MDS and I disable that every time I drive, because even with a stock exhaust it is still extremely noticeable to me. Even if I have music blasting so loud that my outside mirrors are vibrating, I can still feel when it goes down to 4 cylinders and also hate the way it feels from a response standpoint getting it to come back out of mds. So the start/stop thing would drive me crazy and I would just end up buying the aftermarket defeat switch like others have done here. Otherwise the other things the system does also does not matter or benefit me, so just no reason at all to get it.

It's nice they warranty it for longer, but I avoid taking my truck into the dealership for anything as long as I can avoid it, so this is one thing I can avoid risking having to go there.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't need to understand your reasons (nor do I need your blessing, but thanks anyway), but on a post where @bigdodge asked for peoples opinions, I had this crazy idea that I would share my opinion.
Opinion, judgement...they are not the same thing LOL. It's your opinion that we should all just keep it enabled. It's your judgement that you don't understand why we don't. See the difference?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have etorque. The start/stop is very smooth. If the start/stop in this truck was abrupt or rough I would have skipped the option right away. Although, my opinion on this would change if the battery pack goes out and my truck has to wait for parts for an extended period of time.

bpwj76

Reaction score
I believe @jimothy was stating his opinion on the matter when he said he didn't understand why people shut the system off. So it's his opinion that it should be left on.

If he said someone was an idiot for turning it off, that would be judgement.

That's just my opinion ;)

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe @jimothy was stating his opinion on the matter when he said he didn't understand why people shut the system off. So it's his opinion that it should be left on.

If he said someone was an idiot for turning it off, that would be judgement.

That's just my opinion ;)
Thank you, that was exactly my intent. I didn't think what I said was offensive or controversial, but I suppose anything can be if you try hard enough.

Moreover, my point was, it might feel a bit odd the first couple of times you come to a stop, but give yourself time to adjust and my bet is, you'll either come to appreciate it, or be indifferent to it. If it still bugs you after a couple of weeks, turn it off, and don't worry yourself over whether or not I understand your motives.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you, that was exactly my intent. I didn't think what I said was offensive or controversial, but I suppose anything can be if you try hard enough.

Moreover, my point was, it might feel a bit odd the first couple of times you come to a stop, but give yourself time to adjust and my bet is, you'll either come to appreciate it, or be indifferent to it. If it still bugs you after a couple of weeks, turn it off, and don't worry yourself over whether or not I understand your motives.
No worries on my end. I guess I just got tired of people saying the same thing about not understanding why people turn it off. And there have been quite a few who've said that.

I did leave it on when I first got it (same with my previous truck). It is impressive how fast the engine restarts. And it is convenient at drive-thru's. But it's unpredictable, depending on ambient temperatures. My biggest issue is in summer. The AC compressor stops running when the engine shuts off, which affects cabin odors. There is a definite smell almost as soon as the engine shuts off. Maybe I'm more sensitive to that than most people (the wife says she doesn't smell anything). But it bugs me enough to not use the system. I have other reasons as well. Suffice it to say I gave it a solid chance, and decided I don't want to keep it enabled. Besides, my daily 25 minute commute has one stop light, that's rarely red for the lane I'm driving in. The great thing about the autostop eliminator is that the button still works as designed. When I go to the city I sometimes enable the system, as long as the AC isn't required LOL.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still learning about the etorque technology in itself. I'm just "ok" with it turning off at a stop light...weird, but I'm getting used to it.

The braking thing is something that will take me longer to learn. It sometimes feels like engine breaking, but I know it's not.

I'm concerned about long-term stuff. And 3 things come to mind:

1. I do go offroad and get muddy. Engine bay gets pretty dirty so I decrease it and spray it down. And I just avoiding the etorque system all together?

2. Battery...what happens if there is a battery issue after the warranty expires? How easy is it to replace? Does the entire Bed needs to come out?

3. Regenerative braking. How does that work with the brake pads if I decide to get powerstop pads so I get less dust?

Its first time I've used this type of system. Some folks call it hybrid, and it's not a hybrid from my standpoint, because at no time, can I use all electric to move the truck.

I've watched some of the ram YouTube videos about the ram system in itself. But I haven't seen any info on how long will that stuff last before any replacement needs to happen

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

bpwj76

Reaction score

Yeah, it took me some time for sure. I like how it behaves now, because I'm used to it. I can even make the engine stay on sometimes by having a very light foot on the brake pedal. I can also make the engine shut off by pressing harder on the pedal. It's interesting to me.

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Battery...what happens if there is a battery issue after the warranty expires? How easy is it to replace? Does the entire Bed needs to come out?
The battery is behind the rear seat, and it looks easily accessible. So I think it’d be easy, but not cheap, to replace.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have it and like it.
I didn't set out to get it when I was shopping simply because of the increased price with it. Found a deal on the truck I wanted and it had etorque. So far 28K miles and I've had zero problems and now like the system.
I also like the extra engine braking but dont really notice it much anymore. Etorque is so smooth and fast that unless it 105°+ outside, I rarely notice that its engaged.

It wasn't a must have nor was it a run away from but after a year+ of ownership, I'd buy it again

yrral

Reaction score
Warranty for etorque is 8 years. It's not part of bumper to bumper but rather part of emissions equipment warranty. Having said that, I wish I got mine without etorque. The uneven braking when regenerating electricity and turning engine off while AC is struggling to cool off the truck in the summer are annoying.
Seriously?

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Same here, light press on brake and engine takes 1-2 seconds to shut off.
Hard press on brake and engine shuts off right away.

Users who are viewing this thread