5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the 5.7 Hemi goes away in 2024, I'm out of the RAM

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And only real drawback to DI is dirty valves, which a catch can prevents.
I've gone both up and down the Direct Injection fear curve myself with my 3.5 EcoBoost that was DI-Only.

Basically when turbo direct injection first came out the catch can companies siezed an opportunity to feast on fears and basic understanding that port injection cleans the back of valves, and now it wasn't. Plus oil separators had a place in racing motors, so... race truck...

Not every DI engine is identical of course, but in the case of the 3.5's the DI has proven not to be an issue. (Using this example because of first hand experience, not because I am some sort of GTDI evangelist - I want my dang HEMI!).

This is because the heads and valve covers are specifically engineered to route vapors to the back of the intake valves, and keep the mixture vaporized. This is why oil formulations have changed, the API SN+ oils were specifically designed for this purpose. When catch cans are installed, they disrupt this process and actually you are getting NO valve cleaning.

In fact the cheap-o kits really screw up crankcase pressures while not actually catching everything, so now you are passing the worst of the sludge no longer in vapor form.

There are YouTubes of EcoBoost teardowns showing the non-catch can engine valves looking no worse (and in some cases better) than the engines that ran catch cans. My heads look really lovely on the scope still after 7 years & 70k miles. They look a bit better than my 4.7L "Powertech" V8 valves on my 02 Durango did at 120k miles.

Shoot, I mentioned turbos, oil, AND catch cans all in one post - I'm ready for your tar and feathers!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've gone both up and down the Direct Injection fear curve myself with my 3.5 EcoBoost that was DI-Only.

Basically when turbo direct injection first came out the catch can companies siezed an opportunity to feast on fears and basic understanding that port injection cleans the back of valves, and now it wasn't. Plus oil separators had a place in racing motors, so... race truck...

Not every DI engine is identical of course, but in the case of the 3.5's the DI has proven not to be an issue. (Using this example because of first hand experience, not because I am some sort of GTDI evangelist - I want my dang HEMI!).

This is because the heads and valve covers are specifically engineered to route vapors to the back of the intake valves, and keep the mixture vaporized. This is why oil formulations have changed, the API SN+ oils were specifically designed for this purpose. When catch cans are installed, they disrupt this process and actually you are getting NO valve cleaning.

In fact the cheap-o kits really screw up crankcase pressures while not actually catching everything, so now you are passing the worst of the sludge no longer in vapor form.

There are YouTubes of EcoBoost teardowns showing the non-catch can engine valves looking no worse (and in some cases better) than the engines that ran catch cans. My heads look really lovely on the scope still after 7 years & 70k miles. They look a bit better than my 4.7L "Powertech" V8 valves on my 02 Durango did at 120k miles.

Shoot, I mentioned turbos, oil, AND catch cans all in one post - I'm ready for your tar and feathers!
Some DI engines have designed, like you said, to limit the deposits, and even clean them off. Not sure if the Hurricane does or not

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to think (hope) that they've used their extra time to market to study what works well and not so well and have designed a winner.

Couple of obvious examples...
  1. Being an inline 6
  2. Using an air-to-water intercooler (unlike Ford who uses air to air, but like Tundra & European TT motors)
  3. Splitting the difference between the 2.x and 3.x litre engines with too much overlap

That said.... If the 5.7 Hemi goes away in 2024 I'm out of the Ram!!
(J/K, I'll just be a bit sad and may wait a bit longer to make a change)

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's fake engine noise.
EV Mustang does the same thing. If it’s trying to sound like a V8 it’s obviously fake. Harley Davidson is saying they plan on doing the same. Can’t wait to see the reaction to that.😆

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I've seen the specs too. The proof is in the pudding though, recent reviews are not all that promising. Every modern turbo out there you can find reports of turbo lag, especially from a rolling start. Check out reviews of the Colorado/Canyon for example.

But even if the power is better, that's not the end goal. This shouldn't be that hard to understand either considering Ford's strategy.

At this point it looks like Ram is headed down and out with no v8's, Ford is keeping theirs for the forseeable future and heck GM just doubled down. It would be a sad day if the current king of American muscle just takes their ball and goes home leaving us Ram fans dangling in the wind with little windup toys.
Nothing to stop Ram from a re-design on the Hemi if sales start to lag....you never know.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ram could still make it an option but after reading this, it sure sounds the v8 might as well be officially dead

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How are they going to simulate the Home Depot-style paint shaker vibration? 🤣
By putting a vibrator on the frame. Kind of like how your phone vibrates, but larger

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.0L Hurricane Twin Turbo 510 Horsepower / 500 LB-FT Torque.
5.7L Hemi------------------ 395 Horsepower / 410 LB-FT Torque.
-----------------------------115 Horsepower / -90 LB-FT Torque.

Not the same...

1) You listed the H.O. version of the engine. We don't know that Ram 1500 will get that version (likely not).
2) 510 horsepower is useless if the truck is on a rack at the dealership.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
1) You listed the H.O. version of the engine. We don't know that Ram 1500 will get that version (likely not).
2) 510 horsepower is useless if the truck is on a rack at the dealership.

Oh no, it's a turbo, it must not be reliable! Act like every single Hemi doesn't eventually get a broken manifold bolt lol

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From everything I've seen (on 2024 and 2025 pilot build sheets), it appears that the Hemi will live on in the 2024 model year. But the 2025's are Hurricanes. Looks like mostly SO versions, but Limited and TRX (possibly more) will have an HO.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From everything I've seen (on 2024 and 2025 pilot build sheets), it appears that the Hemi will live on in the 2024 model year. But the 2025's are Hurricanes. Looks like mostly SO versions, but Limited and TRX (possibly more) will have an HO.
Will be interesting to see what else they do to the Hurricane to boost power for a TRX edition

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh no, it's a turbo, it must not be reliable! Act like every single Hemi doesn't eventually get a broken manifold bolt lol

If/when mine go I'm going with long tubes and a little HP tune. More power, better sound, better reliability.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If/when mine go I'm going with long tubes and a little HP tune. More power, better sound, better reliability.
We will see what's going on if/when my stock manifolds crack, but at the very least, will be a set of shorties. If some of my other projects are done, maybe I will do long tubes, ported TB, and a tune. Or more.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For what it's worth, it also looks like the 2025's will have "smartphone as a key". I'm seeing that listed in the 2025 build sheets.

Users who are viewing this thread