5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the 5.7 Hemi goes away in 2024, I'm out of the RAM

trainman

Reaction score
I know it's not written in stone as of yet, but many YouTube videos are being produced on the new Straight 6 Hurrican engine and saying it could replace the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi V8's. Probably true it can have more HP and Torque and work for many, but for me it's all about the V8 sound and for me the power of the V8's is plenty. I was looking forward to hopefully a new RAM Gen 6 model in 2024, but not with the Hurrican engine as the only offer for the RAM. As you know the Grand Waggoneer has the Hurrican engine and does not off a 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi, this should tell you what the future does offer for the RAM.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the 6.4L is an option on the base trim for the 2023 Grand Wagoneer, the higher trims, the HO Hurricane was the only option though. On the Wagoneer, all 3 engines are still offered for 2023 depending on trim.

I guess we'll have to see about the 2024, but I would be surprised if the 5.7L wasn't still there as an option. The CEO of Stellantis did state both engines would be offered in the 1500. But who knows until it happens.

LethalHemii

Reaction score
I wish there was a ram 1500 RT or the GT came with the 6.4 engine rather than RAM jumping from the 5.7 straight to the 6.2L supercharged. Would’ve made the engine trims much more open as right now the most popular are either the hemi or eco diesel

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the v8 will remain an option for more years, GM recently announce it would develop a new small block v8 so I find it hard to believe that ram would stop the v8 so soon

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the v8 will remain an option for more years, GM recently announce it would develop a new small block v8 so I find it hard to believe that ram would stop the v8 so soon
GM is building plenty of electric vehicles and very fuel-efficient ICE vehicles - they can afford to have a few "fun" vehicles in their lineup. Unless/until Stellantis diversifies their portfolio with something similar, they're going to have to draw down on the gas guzzlers.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GM is building plenty of electric vehicles and very fuel-efficient ICE vehicles - they can afford to have a few "fun" vehicles in their lineup. Unless/until Stellantis diversifies their portfolio with something similar, they're going to have to draw down on the gas guzzlers.
agree but also its still a decade until 2035
You don't think it is risky to remove the v8 option too soon.
In my opinion the hemi v8 is still heavily favor by many so you risk cutting down your selling demographic.
Not saying the hurricane is not an upgrade or better engine but some of us can be stubborn with out v8's

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
agree but also its still a decade until 2035
You don't think it is risky to remove the v8 option too soon.
In my opinion the hemi v8 is still heavily favor by many so you risk cutting down your selling demographic.
Not saying the hurricane is not an upgrade or better engine but some of us can be stubborn with out v8's
I wasn't talking about theoretical "end of ICE engine" dates, I am talking about current CAFE requirements. Roughly an 8% increase in efficiency year-over-year. They just can't keep building gas guzzling V8's unless they're offsetting them with high-efficiency vehicles.

robman3387

Reaction score
I was talking to a buddy in the industry, and I think Stellantis is butting up against a wall when it comes to the Hemi line and meeting ever stringent emissions regs. It's essentially a 14-15 year design w the eagle heads. With resources being sucked into EVs and Stellantis not having the deepest of pockets, I'm not sure they have a choice.
Not to mention the millions their handing Tesla for green credits...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The issue isn't the corporate MPG average, with Stellantis group they are fine, in fact just recently, they no longer buy carbon credits from Tesla for 2022 on.

However, the issue is CO2 emissions. The old Hemi design just puts out too much CO2 for long term future use. It needs a full redesign to make it happen and they rather focus on the next gen ICE engines that can work with electrification, such as the Hurricane.

GM however is investing in the next Gen V8 engines in order to meet future CO2 emissions, but I don't think Stellantis sees a future with it.

Dewey

Reaction score
Ending the Challenger and Charger Hemi’s isn’t a good sign. If they’re killing the performance vehicles it’s not looking good for the future of Hemi’s in trucks either. I’m guessing 2024 or 2025 will be the last. Certainly hope I’m wrong.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Or just keep driving your current truck ubtil the wheels fall off
That's my plan, but whenever the Etorque starts giving me fits she is gone, unless there is something else out there even goofier at that time.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rumor has it the "surprise" reveal coming tomorrow is just that: the "Hurricane" I-6TT engine for the Ram pickups. Said to make 510 horsepower in top trim, hence the announcement coming on 5-10.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rumor has it the "surprise" reveal coming tomorrow is just that: the "Hurricane" I-6TT engine for the Ram pickups. Said to make 510 horsepower in top trim, hence the announcement coming on 5-10.
They already announced they are going to have the Hurricane in the 2024 models.

Users who are viewing this thread