5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the 5.7 Hemi goes away in 2024, I'm out of the RAM

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most likely engine lineup goes:
v6 pentastar > hurricane SO (available in all trims) > hurricane HO (expensive trims only)
no hemi.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There was a press release last week saying the HO Hurricane will be available in 2025.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard the HO Hurricane will be available on the new Tungsten trim, have not heard what other trims yet. Would be nice if they offer it on a cheaper trim option like a Sport trim similar to how GM offers the 6.2 on thier RST trim.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife just bought a 2024 MINI Cooper Countryman. It doesn't have an oil dipstick. You've got to use the infotainment screen to check oil level. The Hurricane I-6 is the same way. I'm old fashioned. It would drive my OCD crazy not being able to physically SEE the oil level in my engine. What happens if a sensor fails or falls out of calibration? What happens if the software glitches? You'll be forced to put your full faith in an electronic graph on a screen. I hate that idea. Why is a simple dipstick too much to ask for?

Does Hurricane have port and direct injection like Ford is using now to keep the valves from getting coked with carbon?

How hard is it going to be to get to the turbos? The Ford engines have turbo failures often and they are a little tough to get to at the join with the manifold. Not something most people want to tackle at home.

Premium fuel will now be required?

How's turbo lag? Will it drive as silky smooth as my Hemi? Will the power band be peaky?

Is the Hurricane going to drink fuel like a bad habit with a trailer behind it like most little turbo engines?

Timing chain or belt?

Top load oil filter or spin on?

I have so many questions.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife just bought a 2024 MINI Cooper Countryman. It doesn't have an oil dipstick. You've got to use the infotainment screen to check oil level. The Hurricane I-6 is the same way. I'm old fashioned. It would drive my OCD crazy not being able to physically SEE the oil level in my engine. What happens if a sensor fails or falls out of calibration? What happens if the software glitches? You'll be forced to put your full faith in an electronic graph on a screen. I hate that idea. Why is a simple dipstick too much to ask for?

Does Hurricane have port and direct injection like Ford is using now to keep the valves from getting coked with carbon?

How hard is it going to be to get to the turbos? The Ford engines have turbo failures often and they are a little tough to get to at the join with the manifold. Not something most people want to tackle at home.

How's turbo lag? Will it drive as silky smooth as my Hemi? Will the power band be peaky?

Is the Hurricane going to drink fuel like a bad habit with a trailer behind it like most little turbo engines?

Timing chain or belt?

As for fuel octane levels the HO requires premium. The standard output can run on 87 with 89 recommended, just like the 5.7.

MO Rebel

Reaction score

Timing chain or belt?

No way I’ll ever own an ICE without a dipstick.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, Hurricane is Direct Injection only.
That and the plasma cylinder liners are literally my only concerns.

Well that and the fundamental part about it not being a V8. Outside of it's lack of Murican spirit, it's sure to be a better engine in every quantifiable way, except for reliability which can only be TBD.

And even the DI is not a major concern for me after having good luck with GTDI engine now for 8 years and doing extensive research about it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No way I’ll ever own an ICE without a dipstick.
This makes no sense to me. You trust the following electronic sensors in your current vehicle, but a sensor instead of a dipstick is a line in the sand?
  • Coolant temp
  • Transmission temp
  • Battery voltage
  • Intercooler temp (for those of us with one)
  • Fuel level
  • Oil pressure
  • Oil temp
  • (Takes big breath before continuing)
  • Intake temp
  • Air/fuel ratio
  • Speed
  • Engine RPM
  • Current gear
  • Etc
Seriously. When was the last time you manually measured your fuel level? You trust the gauge to tell you if you’re low. Why do you think an oil level sensor is the spawn of Satan?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This makes no sense to me. You trust the following electronic sensors in your current vehicle, but a sensor instead of a dipstick is a line in the sand?
  • Coolant temp
  • Transmission temp
  • Battery voltage
  • Fuel level
  • Oil pressure
  • Oil temp
  • Intake temp
  • Air/fuel ratio
  • Speed
  • Engine RPM
  • Current gear
  • Etc
Seriously. When was the last time you manually measured your fuel level? You trust the gauge to tell you if you’re low. Why do you think an oil level sensor is the spawn of Satan?
Don't forget oil pressure on these trucks is t even a sensor specified oil pressure. It's a calculated estimate of oil pressure based on oil temp and RPM.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
  • Coolant temp
  • Transmission temp
  • Battery voltage
  • Fuel level
  • Oil pressure
  • Oil temp
  • Intake temp
  • Air/fuel ratio
  • Speed
  • Engine RPM
  • Current gear
  • Etc
Many of those items aren’t as critical as the oil level in the engine. I check the oil level every 500 miles or so. My high strung Coyote will use about 1/4 quart every 1,000 miles. My $15K zero turn mower with a Kawasaki engine will use oil, particularly when it’s 100 degrees outside. I suppose you’re one of those guys that relies on your oil monitor to tell you when to change oil.

I can gauge how much gas I have based on the miles since last fill up. Not hard to determine if the speedometer is accurate for speed and miles travelled. I’ve driven a vehicle for many miles with a broken fuel gauge and not once ran out of gas. When a battery gets 4 years old or so, I’ll occasionally check the voltage manually to see if it’s still good. No, when the ability to manually check my oil level is gone, so will I.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Many of those items aren’t as critical as the oil level in the engine. I check the oil level every 500 miles or so. My high strung Coyote will use about 1/4 quart every 1,000 miles. My $15K zero turn mower with a Kawasaki engine will use oil, particularly when it’s 100 degrees outside. I suppose you’re one of those guys that relies on your oil monitor to tell you when to change oil.

I can gauge how much gas I have based on the miles since last fill up. Not hard to determine if the speedometer is accurate for speed and miles travelled. I’ve driven a vehicle for many miles with a broken fuel gauge and not once ran out of gas. When a battery gets 4 years old or so, I’ll occasionally check the voltage manually to see if it’s still good. No, when the ability to manually check my oil level is gone, so will I.
I guess if you know your Coyote burns 1/4 qt of oil every 1000 miles, then you can gauge how much oil has been burned based on miles since last oil change, just like you can with fuel. :p

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Your first paragraph doesn't make sense. You can still check the level with the electronic dipstick. My wife's car has one and I like it a lot better than my mechanical dipstick. I never have to get out of my seat, pop the hood, or have a rag handy...just scroll through the EVIC.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Bingo.

Oil starvation kills engine NOW. Nothing on his list will, with the possible exception of oil pressure IF it goes to zero.

I want an oil dipstick.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bingo.

Oil starvation kills engine NOW. Nothing on his list will, with the possible exception of oil pressure IF it goes to zero.

I want an oil dipstick.
I mean, if you overheat because you don't have any coolant, it will kill an engine as well.

silver billet

Reaction score
Guess that's just more and more reason to stick with the hemi. Real dipsticks, real oil temps and pressure monitors, real power. If it weren't for that pesky little tick......

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guess that's just more and more reason to stick with the hemi. Real dipsticks, real oil temps and pressure monitors, real power. If it weren't for that pesky little tick......
We don't have real oil pressure monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread