5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the 5.7 Hemi goes away in 2024, I'm out of the RAM

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Would you tow a heavy trailer even once a week with a tiny high-strung twin turbo? I would not.
I love the 5.7 in my Rebel, but my 2013 3.5TT with 177K miles will still out pull the 5.7 all day, any day, up any grade hands down. The down-low torque is almost diesel-like. It’s a helluva lot easier on the tranny too as it’s not always down shifting on any little incline. I wouldn’t bash the towing capability until you’ve actually experienced it. I was amazed how well it towed our 8500 lb travel trailer.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t know, man. I notice a huge difference between my truck and my wife’s twin turbo Navigator. I always forget about the lag until I’m jumping into a tight gap - one that my truck would easily make it into. It isn’t a horsepower thing (it has 500 HP), it’s the spool-up that is noticeable. Personally, it would drive me nuts on a daily basis until I was used to it.

Sadly it’s not even actually turbo lag. Adaptive throttle algorithm that punishes conservative driving over time. Plus poor tuning on the 10AT. Google “KAM reset” and try that. If still no good (and you care) $600 or less for a reputable custom tune and Z. E. R. O. lag.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've never noticed any turbo lag with my Ecoboost, honestly pulled down low better than my Hemi, which feels laggy in comparison.

That being said, I really rather have the Hemi do to the overall character and sound the V8 has. With an aftermarket exhaust, my Rebel has a sense of occasion when driving that cannot be replicated by any V6.

It's kinda childish I know, but it's a big part of the appeal of these trucks. However, based on the latest comparison test, the Hemi is the slowest of the current crop of full size trucks, so more drivetrain options are welcomed for this platform to keep it competitive.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I hadn't owned a gas V-8 in 30 years, other than a 2004 Duramax. I've been fortunate to own two 6.7 Cummins, and recently a 3.6 Pentistar Jeep Gladiator. We recently down graded from a 36' 5th wheel to a 24' travel trailer and I specifically searched out a 5.7 non-etorq because of all the what it's with Ram. The only thing I know is that I wanted to stick with a Ram product and didn't need a HD any more. I'm feel fortunate to have found my 21 Big Horn with only 11,300 miles on it back in September. I really hope this will be my last truck and I won't have to worry about the future of what motors will be available.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
I know this, Dodge won’t be making police Chargers with the 5.7 anymore starting this year (probably now). The only options are 3.6 or the two Hurricane engines. I’ll bet they will stop production of the 5.7 when they begin putting them in the Ram trucks. Sad to see it go but it’s an outdated engine.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
This thread is funny. A bunch of grumpy old men it seems like. You guys probably felt the same away about fuel injection. "I will never get a car without a carburetor"

Ram sells a ton of trucks, and a strong majority of buyers don't care what it sounds like. Give them more power and better fuel mileage? They will be fine. In regards to the cars - I would imagine 6 cylinders dominate the sales and have been since they introduced the GT models. Around here I either see a Hellcat or a GT, with a few 392s mixed in. Can't remember the last time I saw a 5.7 Charger.

The 5.7 is reliable engine but it's 20 years old, it's time to move on. It's old technology. Rams were a quick truck with the 5.7 15 years ago - these days it's just normal.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread is funny. A bunch of grumpy old men it seems like. You guys probably felt the same away about fuel injection. "I will never get a car without a carburetor"

Ram sells a ton of trucks, and a strong majority of buyers don't care what it sounds like. Give them more power and better fuel mileage? They will be fine. In regards to the cars - I would imagine 6 cylinders dominate the sales and have been since they introduced the GT models. Around here I either see a Hellcat or a GT, with a few 392s mixed in. Can't remember the last time I saw a 5.7 Charger.

The 5.7 is reliable engine but it's 20 years old, it's time to move on. It's old technology. Rams were a quick truck with the 5.7 15 years ago - these days it's just normal.

Apples to oranges. Going from carbs to FI had no drawbacks. Going from port to direct injection does. Adding two expensive turbos to achieve the same power as a N/A V8 does. Adding additional emissions hardware does. Taking away simple things like dipsticks so that owners can't accurately perform service does.

There is nothing positive about the path forward that Ram is taking. And I'll bet you a crisp $10 bill right now that the twin turbo engine doesn't come anywhere close to besting the Hemi V8 with a trailer behind it after we get real world reports next year. Hopefully they don't get sued over it like Ford did.

They could put a 3 cylinder engine in the Ram and boost it enough to make 400 HP and it would still use the same amount of fuel as the Hemi. That's just science.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Apples to oranges. Going from carbs to FI had no drawbacks. Going from port to direct injection does. Adding two expensive turbos to achieve the same power as a N/A V8 does. Adding additional emissions hardware does. Taking away simple things like dipsticks so that owners can't accurately perform service does.

There is nothing positive about the path forward that Ram is taking. And I'll bet you a crisp $10 bill right now that the twin turbo engine doesn't come anywhere close to besting the Hemi V8 with a trailer behind it after we get real world reports next year. Hopefully they don't get sued over it like Ford did.

They could put a 3 cylinder engine in the Ram and boost it enough to make 400 HP and it would still use the same amount of fuel as the Hemi. That's just science.
I know several guys who "hate" fuel injection. One guy even converted his 2001 Dakota R/T to a carburator because he thought he could make more power and was easier to tune himself(it wasn't).

I'll take your $10 bet. Ram is using a straight 6 that makes more torque than the V6 Ecoboost engines. Those "two expensive turbos" give the I-6 more power than the N/A V8s. And only real drawback to DI is dirty valves, which a catch can prevents. Not sure where the dipstick comment comes from. If you are talking the transmission, they haven't had dipsticks since they went away from the old 45RFE or 46/47/48RE transmissions in the trucks.

Seems a lot of the hate, or pushback, on the Hurricane comes from lack of knowledge about it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Everyone should petition Ram to make a fake interior V8 engine rumble like ford does in the V6 Raptor. :sneaky:

Dewey

Reaction score
Everyone should petition Ram to make a fake interior V8 engine rumble like ford does in the V6 Raptor. :sneaky:
Don’t give them ideas. Next will be the goofy fake sound of the EV Charger.😲

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t give them ideas. Next will be the goofy fake sound of the EV Charger.😲
I meant technically, the Charger Ev sound isn't fake. It's actually sound produced by the electric motor.

Dewey

Reaction score
I meant technically, the Charger Ev sound isn't fake. It's actually sound produced by the electric motor.
The motor pushes air through an electric amplifier so guess it’s only half fake.

Sounds like they improved it from the original concept.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The motor pushes air through an electric amplifier so guess it’s only half fake.

Sounds like they improved it from the original concept.

Read "amplifier". So it's real sound being amplified. If you want to call that fake sounds than anytime you talk into a microphone, to include cell phone calls it's fake noise.

Adrianp89

Reaction score

I could come up with plenty of examples, but the fact is technology gets better and people hate change. 911 owners lost their mind when they went to a twin-turbo set-up, but the engine is far superior now, and just lacks a bit of the 4.0 flat 6 sound. No one is complaining that their car is faster with better gas mileage.

I have no idea what you mean by the dipstick thing. Even if that was a thing - the service department does it somehow, which means you can too.

Also at the end of the day, most pick up truck owners are not towing. This is coming from a guy that uses his truck for towing 60-70% of the time. Manufacturers care about bragging how much they can tow, not gas mileage while towing. Also government regulations do not care about towing MPGs. With that said, pretty much all light-duty gas trucks, no matter the engine, get close to same MPGs. I see people on the boating forum post all their MPGs across different brands and motors and they are all within each other. This applies to towing with EVs as well - pretty much all the trucks are getting the same w/hr.

silver billet

Reaction score
Read "amplifier". So it's real sound being amplified. If you want to call that fake sounds than anytime you talk into a microphone, to include cell phone calls it's fake noise.

Oh FFS. It's fake engine noise.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Adding two expensive turbos to achieve the same power as a N/A V8 does.

3.0L Hurricane Twin Turbo 510 Horsepower / 500 LB-FT Torque.
5.7L Hemi------------------ 395 Horsepower / 410 LB-FT Torque.
-----------------------------115 Horsepower / -90 LB-FT Torque.

Not the same...

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...Around here I either see a Hellcat or a GT, with a few 392s mixed in. Can't remember the last time I saw a 5.7 Charger....
Not sure where you live, but I can tell you that you see a lot of 5.7 Charger R/T around the Phoenix metro area. People rarely sell them and it's can be difficult to find good ones used. I know. I tried and it took me months to find a 2016 R/T (in 2017).

Users who are viewing this thread