5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't take the Dog?

Bullcrappy

Reaction score
Am I doing this right? Seems after passengers I am over weight for payload by 38lbs?
Or is a 150lbs already included for the Driver? Then I would only account for 50lbs?
Thanks for clarification

Payload.JPG

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on what options are important to you. Mine is a 2019 Big Horn level 2 4x4 CC 6.4 box 3.21 with 8.4 screen, heated seats and wheel and bucket seats and payload is 1,740. That's still a big trailer for a 1500 though considering if you have gear in the truck and then assuming the trailer weight you listed is dry weight so any water in the tanks, gear stowed in the compartments etc will increase tongue weight. In the end unless you're only towing it a few times a year you either need a smaller trailer of a 2500 to have the true capacity and safety.

Bullcrappy

Reaction score
Ya mine is not to fancy... 2019 Rebel 5.7 - 3.92 w/ 8" screen, heated seats and Ram boxes that is about it... tow package too

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And another thing you missed.

871 is base hitch weight.

6258 and 871...that is 14 % tongue weight.

Say you add thr usual 1000lbs. That is 1016 tongue weight.

Lets say you luck out and only add 500..which ismt likely...still 946lbs.

There is a reason it says boats and utility trailers in the rowing page. Tongue weight sucks.

Yea...there are people who overload these trucks weekly...but I haul my family on these roads...ao I am always glad to see people checking

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ya I will add that to spread sheet thanks. I need 1700 or 1800 payload min... I really don't what a 3/4
Have you already bought the truck? Are you looking to buy another?

A few guys here have very nicely optioned Bighorn trim with 1700 to 1800lb payload.

Do you need 4wd? Do you need the crew cab?

Could you take 2 vehicles?

I am biased and love HeavyDuty RAM trucks. But I also have to have one. Loaded to camp my truck sits at over 9400lbs...and my trailer is only 6000lbs. I have over 2400lbs if payload in the truck...still plenty of room to my 2998 payload.

I daily drive it also. We prefer it over our Jeep Cherokee. I know the 5th Gen RAM rides great, but so does a 4.5 Gen RAM 2500. Not quite as perfect...but pretty good

Bullcrappy

Reaction score
We take cross country trips so daughter and lab and some time in law needs crew cab.
Need 4wd for snow here and we go to and on beach as well.

I have 19 Rebel now but looks like it is not enough truclk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We take cross country trips so daughter and lab and some time in law needs crew cab.
Need 4wd for snow here and we go to and on beach as well.

I have 19 Rebel now but looks like it is not enough truclk
It is plenty of truck...just too much trailer

1500s can tow alot. Just not heavy tongue weight campers or also haul while towing.

Like I said. Alot of guys tow over capacity. But if you are going cross country...i do not think you are going to enjoy the high winds...tractor trailer passes...or long down grades.

laramie4x4

Reaction score
i found this very frustrating too. The payload of my $60k truck is just marginally better than my previous Dodge Dart, which is a compact car... The towing number is just irrelevant

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the solution, leave the kid @ home and bring the dog, dog's are more fun and won't talk back when you tell them to do something.
Or leave the wife home...then you can take the dog, the kid, two cases of Slim Jim’s and an extra pair of racks (beer...remember you’ll be leaving the other rack at home).

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My door sticker from MFG states my payload, just not sure of the OP`s options that make their trucks payload so

My door sticker from MFG states my payload, just not sure of the OP`s options that make their trucks payload so low.
Yeah - I can't find it now but what I'm trying to say is someone posted a sheet that shows actual weights for the different options, i.e. piano roof adds x lbs, bucket seats add x lbs etc. Pretty interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread