5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't take the Dog?

Bullcrappy

Reaction score
Am I doing this right? Seems after passengers I am over weight for payload by 38lbs?
Or is a 150lbs already included for the Driver? Then I would only account for 50lbs?
Thanks for clarification

Payload.JPG

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Full frame, longer wheelbase kinda make it apples to oranges. I’d def. take the F150 as a TV over the Pilot.

My brother had an 06 Pilot 4x, awesome in snow but a very soft sprung back end. He’d use a covered 5x8 or 6x12 uhaul trailer once in a while and they would at times bottom the rear out.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right... I know. I looked all over. No sinks..

I looked at the option list weights. Ram box is 120lb hit, 33g tank is a 44lb hit, side steps 60lbs, air suspension 35lbs, sunroof 35lbs, tires at least 30lbs, bed cover 43lbs. It all adds up. hell bed liner is 30lbs........

So my Gen1 Ram rebel had a payload doorsticker under 900lbs.
100% Serious!
The new one, with Ramboxes and 33gallon tank, 1308.
~440lbs more.

For payload savings/tongue weight concerns, a guy COULD move the spare tire, and spare tire kit to the trailer (Assuming all combined is under the GCWR of course).
You could also remove the tailgate, tonneau cover, bed-divider, etc.
All would lighten the truck, if needed.

I think the tire alone is ~80lbs?
Kit might weigh another 10lbs.
I think the tailgate weighs around 50lbs, that is a total guesstimate.
Just adding that above, that's ~140lbs, all could be moved to the trailer and converted to 14lbs on the truck, at 10% tongueweight.

Other idea: Some say you can pick up weight savings via the exhaust system.
The stock garbage can muffles the hemi, and is big and heavy.
If you go with a smaller exhaust setup, that would lighten the vehicle by a few lbs, let the engine breathe better, AND let you hear the song of the Hemi!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty good ideas especially the spare tire.

I wish I could find the link, but I'd once read a long article talking about why the SAE J2807 Tow rating standards became a thing.
The one-upsmanship on the max-towing of the trucks (And payloads) kept going up, and up, and up.
Even if there were no re-designs on the vehicles.

Apparently buried in the fine print, of the huge towing rating of the 450/4500 truck?
Was that the max towing number rating was available on a stripped down 450 truck, that lacked little things like a rear bumper, a spare tire, etc.

So yeah there's weight savings to be found if you're trying to get every little drop!
If you wanted to really go at it hard?
Swapping from the duratracs on the rebel to the Toyo AT3s saved 2lbs each IIRc. = 8lbs.
- remove tonneau cover and bed divider
- remove spare tire, and heatshield
- remove any steprails
- remove tailgate
- if desperate, remove skidplates
- remove the interior floor mats
- replace the stock huge exhaust setup with a muffler delete

Now re-weigh the truck.

That could be what, like 350lbs of weight savings or more?
None effected the vehicles safety, or on road mechanical function.

I don't know if I would do all of those, but hey there are some ideas in there!

Users who are viewing this thread