5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane ESS

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking around on the 2025 build site I noticed the 3.6 V6 engine option still lists as an etorque whereas the hurricane engine is listed as an ESS.
Does this mean they are using the traditional starter motor for the ESS system?
That was the whole bragging point of etorque, not using the starter motor.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Don't know the answer to your question, but that wasn't the "whole" bragging point. There are other facets to etorque, adding to engine power and regenerative braking to name a couple. I thought the way they implemented it, with a belt drive, was kinda wimpy. So maybe they've given up on the band-aid "mild hybrid", or maybe it's just too much to engineer all at once and they'll bring it on mid-year. :unsure:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looking around on the 2025 build site I noticed the 3.6 V6 engine option still lists as an etorque whereas the hurricane engine is listed as an ESS.
It sounded like they dumped etorque. They should of removed start/start while they were at it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For sure they are not using the traditional starter motor for this. It wouldn't last long.

Perhaps they realized that it was a bunch of electric hassle for nothing. Perhaps they realized the environmental impact mining lithium with child labor was having. Perhaps they met the green limits with a more efficient motor and just don't need it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
For sure they are not using the traditional starter motor for this. It wouldn't last long.

Perhaps they realized that it was a bunch of electric hassle for nothing. Perhaps they realized the environmental impact mining lithium with child labor was having. Perhaps they met the green limits with a more efficient motor and just don't need it.
Whats the more efficient motor?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
?
So which one is more efficient?
The one doing normal work or the other one with 20+ psi of boost getting shoved into it to do the same amount of work?
You make it sound like it's constantly going to be at max boost levels. Turbo motors don't spend a whole lot of time at max boost. And not sure I'd consider WOT in either engine "normal work".

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
?
So which one is more efficient?
The one doing normal work or the other one with 20+ psi of boost getting shoved into it to do the same amount of work?

All else being equal, the boosted one with less displacement will have less internal friction. Alternately, a boosted engine of the same size producing the same power at lower RPM, but same ground speed with different gear ratios would also lose less to internal friction.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score

There is still stop start on the hurricanes. Jimm07 answered. It yes it is the traditional starter motor they use but it is a heavy duty version.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is still stop start on the hurricanes. Jimm07 answered. It yes it is the traditional starter motor they use but it is a heavy duty version.
Yes, I mistakenly thought it was in reference to the e-tourque motor that was eliminated.

Users who are viewing this thread