5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: modify wheel wells for larger tires/Negative offsets

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This would have been a nice thread to see before I massacred my inner fender liners.

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
Has anyone done any more metal trimming than just the tab? As in maybe part of the pinch weld, maybe going back as far as one of those bolts at the bottom. On my 4th gen 2500 I did some pinch weld trimming for 37s. So was just wanting to see if anyone has done more than just the tab.....

I have RC 3.5 lift, and am about to put on TRX wheels and 305/70R18 Yokahoma Geolander MTs (basically almost the same size as the factory TRX tires. I have seen most of the threads from people installing the TRX wheels/tires on with 1.5" spacers and it seems to be fine with the normal tab mod that this thread is mostly about. However, I have 2" spacers right now with current setup. I know maybe one person did it with 2" , but anyways, i just wanted to know incase i need to trim back the pinch weld too.

Yes, I had to trim back to the first bolt. The 37s still rub a bit, -44 offset.

Julio13

Reaction score
Yes, I had to trim back to the first bolt. The 37s still rub a bit, -44 offset.

Would you happen to have any pictures to have an idea what was done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msnyder1112

Reaction score
Months late, but I’m waiting to see pics of the bend up method.
Already cut my wannabe flares off in irder to maintain the rocker corner “protector”. Still getting very minor run backing up into my sloped driveway at full lock.

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Blue Streak. Appearance package. Blacked out emblems. Rough Country 6 inch lift with N3 struts all around. 20x10 -25 Toxic Punishers in Gunmetal. 35/12.50r20 Gladiator XComp A/Ts.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Months late, but I’m waiting to see pics of the bend up method.
Already cut my wannabe flares off in irder to maintain the rocker corner “protector”. Still getting very minor run backing up into my sloped driveway at full lock.

2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Blue Streak. Appearance package. Blacked out emblems. Rough Country 6 inch lift with N3 struts all around. 20x10 -25 Toxic Punishers in Gunmetal. 35/12.50r20 Gladiator XComp A/Ts.

The procedure is detailed with pics at the beginning of this thread

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That procedure is for cutting off the metal tab, not bending it up. I want to see the bend.

It’s pretty thin metal …. I just straightened it out with pliers, and then bent it straight up …. Drilled a new hole for the liner, just below the old one …. It’s super easy …. You’re just bending instead of cutting …. I thought somewhere in these 89 pages, somebody detailed bending …. Been a couple years since I did mine …. Hadn’t been back here in a while …. Good luck …. Sorry, I didn’t take any picks

msnyder1112

Reaction score
It’s pretty thin metal …. I just straightened it out with pliers, and then bent it straight up …. Drilled a new hole for the liner, just below the old one …. It’s super easy …. You’re just bending instead of cutting …. I thought somewhere in these 89 pages, somebody detailed bending …. Been a couple years since I did mine …. Hadn’t been back here in a while …. Good luck …. Sorry, I didn’t take any picks

No problem! Someone else asked for pics of it but no one posted any.
Thanks! I don’t like the ziptie look so I’ll be going the bendy route.

ADutt

Reaction score
Just did this today, but instead of cutting I did the bend route. Also instead of using zip ties I drilled a hole into the bent metal and used the existing hole from the original black retaining plug, used some nylon retaining clips that I had left over from a previous project. All in all took 20-30 combined for both sides. No hacking necessary!
Thanks @19BlkRam for the write up.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for this write up. I had the 285/60/20 tires removed and put 35/12.5/20 Falken Wildpeaks on today and they rubbed fairly hard on the drivers side. Took me maybe an hour to do it. I had to remove the mopar mudflaps from the front but now have plenty of room for the flat style duraflaps that should be showing up in the mail tomorrow. Truck is a 2020 limited ORP with the links and daystars up front. Love the look.
What offset is this?

Users who are viewing this thread