5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Get the Best Price on Your New Ram

chuck01835

Reaction score
I wasn't going to bug him again until my truck came in. we were going to revisit incentives (current and locked in ones) at that time.
Let me know how it turns out for you. I'm about 2 weeks behind you as far as order date.

Thanks,
Chuck

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. That’s what I figured. Thought I’d give it one more college try before signing but I’m still super happy with the deal With the FCA Affiliates code + TrueCar via PenFed.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Silent Bob - what dealer gave you the 19.17% off msrp price on the factory order? Thank you

Phillip Olson, General Sales Manager at Bud Clary in Washington State
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 360-434-2929 (text is great)
[email protected]

14.76% off MSRP before rebates/incentives
19.17% off MSRP with $3250 rebates/incentives.
7.08% off Invoice before rebates/incentives
11.89% off Invoice with $3250 rebates/incentives.

Last edited:

leftoutside

Reaction score
Im getting a ton of resistance from dealers now (May 20) from anything off msrp, citing the chip shortage and lack of vehicles on the lot. I dont understand how they think a lack of trucks on the lot from normal, equates to higher prices for each truck. I know they arent getting more new trucks in, but how exactly does that mean I pay more? Dont quote me supply/demand theory, the reality is that most guys will simply delay that purchase decision if faced with an msrp-only price. At least, people I know will say no to sticker price. I will also will simply keep my truck rather than take low trade value and pay sticker. F*ck it. I mean there are plenty of cars still out there on any lot, just not as much as usual. I see rows and rows of jeeps, toyotas, hondas, etc. Its not like everyone is faced with not being able to get a car to drive at all; its just a temporary lack of choice for renewing your car NOW, not forever. I refuse to believe MOST real people are panicking and buying anything they can. I guess Im saying I "dont believe the hype"...

On that note, Im also having trouble getting proper trade value for my 2 yr old clean low mile Laramie. Every online valuation says between $46-50k. The closest Ive come is $43. If the used market is swinging up too, why cant I get good trade value? It seems useless haggling with them on that. Im in KC, so plenty of truck country here. Yesterday I had a sales mgr at one of the volume dealers bid me $35 for my truck. It feels like all the dealers are screaming chip shortage as a reason for a money grab.

But also, Im hearing that 0% financing is going away for good. Its been around since 9/11 days and manufacturers are citing the chip shortage as a reason to eliminate it for now and probably for good down the road. Anyone else hearing that too?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't go to college so I know jack-s**t about supply / demand BUT given how many jerks in my area (Vermont) are driving around in 84 month 10% APR trucks and 15% interest side by sides on 60 month financed trailers with 4 kids and an ex-wife's alimony payments.

I've realized that there's some ******* who WILL pay sticker for these trucks because they need it right now and won't exercise any personal responsibility to keep driving their 3 year old truck for just one more year and instead they have to have a brand new truck for this year's "Redneck's with paychecks" and with only 3 trucks on the lot, dealers can push them into making a decision right now.

You'd be amazed what people will do when met with limited supply on something they want.

Alternatively, insurance total losses still happen. If you need a truck for work and there's only 5 2500s in the entire state of Vermont with an 8 foot bed, you're going to buy one and if you can't save 10% off sticker, you still need it for work / hauling. There are so few trucks right now in my state that just the guys who actually work out of their trucks will hit a moose or have a motor blow and they just have to buy a truck no matter what it costs.

We're at the point now where supply is SO low that I fully believe people will pay sticker even if it's just 1 out of 20 buyers.

PS: I"d love to go to rednecks with paychecks but it's too far of a drive.

EDIT: There are FOUR Ram 2500s within 50 miles of me. Those dealers have zero incentive to give me a deal if I need one today. My buddy is a landscaper and runs 2500 chassis cabs exclusively. He has 4 of them and one just blew a transmission and the three dealers don't have any loaners for him so he's looking as far south as Connecticut for a replacement.

EDIT 2: there's this - https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/05/report-people-willing-to-pay-stupid-prices-for-new-cars/

The Kelley Blue Book research shows that 87 [percent] of consumers recognize the issue is impacting both domestic and import nameplates. As the issue is industry-wide, 73 [percent] of consumers are expecting to face higher prices at the dealerships, and nearly 60 [percent] believe they will find lower incentives. Four out of ten consumers are willing to pay above the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP), and those willing to pay over MSRP are willing to accept a 12 [percent] premium. In April, according to Kelley Blue Book estimates, the average MSRP for a new vehicle in the U.S. was $41,950. In other words, many consumers are willing to pay $5,000 over sticker price.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plenty of people base their purchase off of monthly payments and nothing else. They don't care what their trade-in value is, what % the lease/loan is, or total price compared to MSRP.

With the shortage, dealerships are scraping for every $1 they can get...lowballing your trade-in, selling for MSRP, 3rd party financing, etc. We (the consumer) want the dealership to court us and find a way for us to want their truck where the dealership sees the low inventory and figures that someone will buy that truck for MSRP since there's so few around. Unless there's some kind of internal goal they are trying to meet then they will wait it out for the person who is shopping based solely on what the monthly payment will be.

My wife bought a new Ranger last year (October) and the dealership was incredibly stubborn about her trade-in. They kept telling us how hard it was to sell used cars during the pandemic as sales were down and nobody was shopping around. Got to a point where my wife was happy (I was pushing for $1000 more on the trade-in) so made the deal. Her old vehicle was in the dealership's used car section the next day for 250% what they gave me for trade-in. I'm not sure what the final selling price was but it was gone within a week.

Without the volume to strive for corporate goals (and cash from Stellantis) and factory incentives gone, the dealerships are left bilking everything they can out of each vehicle on the lot (which means no dealer discounts either). That means passing on people like us that have realistic expectations based on past experiences (and reasonable pricing) and waiting for someone who will pay $XXX/month and they don't care how you put the financing package together.

Last edited:

mophead

Reaction score
I didn't go to college so I know jack-s**t about supply / demand BUT given how many jerks in my area (Vermont) are driving around in 84 month 10% APR trucks and 15% interest side by sides on 60 month financed trailers with 4 kids and an ex-wife's alimony payments.

See you at the straight shooters anonymous meetings???? You have any gray hairs yet? LOL

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im getting a ton of resistance from dealers now (May 20) from anything off msrp, citing the chip shortage and lack of vehicles on the lot. I dont understand how they think a lack of trucks on the lot from normal, equates to higher prices for each truck. I know they arent getting more new trucks in, but how exactly does that mean I pay more? Dont quote me supply/demand theory, the reality is that most guys will simply delay that purchase decision if faced with an msrp-only price. At least, people I know will say no to sticker price. I will also will simply keep my truck rather than take low trade value and pay sticker. F*ck it. I mean there are plenty of cars still out there on any lot, just not as much as usual. I see rows and rows of jeeps, toyotas, hondas, etc. Its not like everyone is faced with not being able to get a car to drive at all; its just a temporary lack of choice for renewing your car NOW, not forever. I refuse to believe MOST real people are panicking and buying anything they can. I guess Im saying I "dont believe the hype"...

On that note, Im also having trouble getting proper trade value for my 2 yr old clean low mile Laramie. Every online valuation says between $46-50k. The closest Ive come is $43. If the used market is swinging up too, why cant I get good trade value? It seems useless haggling with them on that. Im in KC, so plenty of truck country here. Yesterday I had a sales mgr at one of the volume dealers bid me $35 for my truck. It feels like all the dealers are screaming chip shortage as a reason for a money grab.

But also, Im hearing that 0% financing is going away for good. Its been around since 9/11 days and manufacturers are citing the chip shortage as a reason to eliminate it for now and probably for good down the road. Anyone else hearing that too?
It sounds like your dealer is really bad. A halfway decent one will try to get MSRP or thereabouts on the new truck, but will also realize the used market is inflated and will work with you if you bring in a Carvana or Vroom quote (they may not match it, but won't low-ball, either).

I drove about 1:15 to see a Limited with the indigo/frost interior, it was the closest one to me, before ordering. This dealer was at 12% off MSRP as the dealer discount last September when I bought my current truck (bought elsewhere, though, because of crappy service). Of course they tried to get me to buy the one they had on the lot, and their offer was MSRP - $500. No thanks, when it was already $6k sticker more than I wanted because of extra options. They were also only at $46,500 on my trade.

I did find a dealer about an hour away that offered me Invoice - holdback as the dealer discount on an order, and was within $1000 of Carvana on trade (and they gurarantee that amount, and more if the used market keeps going the way it is). On the trade value, they know I'll go with Carvana if they are too far off when it comes time for delivery on the new truck, and they are going to want mine to sell. So if at delivery Canrvana is $52,000 then and they are stuck on $47,650, they know I'll sell to Canvana because I'm ahead even with losing the sales tax benefit of trading, unless they up their offer.

On lot trucks, the few they have, they are doing about $1500 discounts. Mostly around here lot trucks are selling for MSRP, and orders for invoice if you really push them. But most places are reasonable on trade, too, especially if you bring a competing offer. Another dealer who typically is known for OK pricing (not great, but not bad) was at MSRP on the new truck and $42,000 on my Laramie. Just a lot of greed right now, paying for sales managers' vacations.

There are still some deals to be had if you find a good dealer. Several have been mentioned on here, most notably Phillip in WA state and Aaron in Louisiana, but there are others (one in Northern Illinois IIRC, and mine is in Sheboygan, WI). What is missing right now is the big manufacturer incentives. But with a 3 year old Laramie you should still be coming out pretty well if you do an order (the problem is there is not pricing right now on 22 MY and no known incentives).

I've also heard 0% is going way. Right now they still have it, but they have reduced the term from last month (Limited, anyway, used to be 0% for 72 plus $500 cash back, now it is only 48 months with the same cash back - and this is on 21 MY). Similar reduction of incentives exists on other trims. I think where things go from here depends on how bad the chip shortage gets. Ford is shutting down truck plants for weeks at a time starting soon. The days of $7000 factory incentives on a Big Horn or $4000+ on Laramie or $3000+ on Limited are gone (these would not be combined with 0% anyway).

Last edited:

Johnnyb001

Reaction score
I read a few weeks ago that the president of the main chip mfgr stated that they were ramping back up production and that they expected to have the backlog of orders caught up and be back to their pre Covid turn around times (order to completion) by the end of June this year, now that’s not accounting for any other bottle necks in the system (transport on that slow boat, etc) but maybe by fall things will ease up? That’s about when I’ll be looking to buy, fall/winter this year

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had anyone had luck getting the rebate email from RAM lately? I'm signing a lease this afternoon and have followed the links silent Bob posted and requested a brochure but never get and email or see the pop-up. Would live to save another $1,000

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had anyone had luck getting the rebate email from RAM lately? I'm signing a lease this afternoon and have followed the links silent Bob posted and requested a brochure but never get and email or see the pop-up. Would live to save another $1,000
Do you have time to sign up for PenFed and wait the 60 days? You can just go to TrueCar and start entering your information for a "build" and toward the end a bar will pop up as a ribbon near the top of the screen for $500 off. Takes 10 minutes at most to do.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have time to sign up for PenFed and wait the 60 days? You can just go to TrueCar and start entering your information for a "build" and toward the end a bar will pop up as a ribbon near the top of the screen for $500 off. Takes 10 minutes at most to do.
I don't have the 60 days because I bought a truck on the lot and the deal came together quick - I did grab the true car $500 and the first responder $500. I was hoping to get the email from RAM for another $1,000 but I don't get the pop-up and even though I requested more info and said I intend to buy in less than a month they never sent me any emails! Thanks for making sure I got the true car.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have the 60 days because I bought a truck on the lot and the deal came together quick - I did grab the true car $500 and the first responder $500. I was hoping to get the email from RAM for another $1,000 but I don't get the pop-up and even though I requested more info and said I intend to buy in less than a month they never sent me any emails! Thanks for making sure I got the true car.
You did OK. The mailer, PenFed, and TrueCar are not able to be combined, have to choose one. Kind of surprised the first responder worked with TrueCar, I don't think military does.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone used the $1000 certificate from the Chrysler credit card?

Do you know how long you need to wait to get the certificate?

Can it be combined with PenFed?

Know if this can be added at delivery to sold order protected incentives?

We are going to buy new kitchen cabinets (I think) next week and my build probably will be delivered sometime in July.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone used the $1000 certificate from the Chrysler credit card?

Do you know how long you need to wait to get the certificate?

Can it be combined with PenFed?

Know if this can be added at delivery to sold order protected incentives?

We are going to buy new kitchen cabinets (I think) next week and my build probably will be delivered sometime in July.

That was one of my questions to Mark Dodge (credit card) and he didn’t have much answer for me. I have no problem churning cards. I can put everything on a card for a couple of months and hit that amount. That’s A crazy return $1000 certificate. Too late now.

msoto

Reaction score
Can someone please provide the contact email to the sales manager at Dennis Dillon. I looked on their site but I wasn’t able to locate a contact list. Thank you

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This whole MRSP thing is crazy. I've reached out to a couple of volume dealers and not heard much back. My local dealerships are insane telling me all special orders are MRSP. Screw that. I'm starting to think that the Tread Lightly discount is the best someone is going to get, without a hookup, currently.

I get it, some people are sitting on stimmy money and they figure why not, but the way vehicles depreciate, why on earth would anyone pay sticker?

Users who are viewing this thread